jeeperaz

Tips/tricks For Cutting Straight Edge The Length Of Full Side?

I'm hoping someone can share some tips or tricks on how to cut an initial straight edge along the full length of a side of leather.

The longest ruler I have to use as a guide is 4'.... double that would be nice but I haven't found a local source for something that long.

I'm sure there is a simple, effective trick out there. Anyone?

Try a steel / metal merchant , I purchased a length about 10' long 3" wide and about 1/8 " thick - stainless steel . I use it like a giant ruler for cutting a straight edge - I then cut a 3/8" wide strip off with a plough knife to get the edge square.

I think places like Lowes or Home Depot (or perhaps Sears) carries an edge guide in either a 6 or 8 foot length for woodworking. It comes in 2 pieces & comes apart when you're done with it for easy storage. If they don't carry it, check out the online woodworker supply stores (perhaps Rockler or Cherry Tree). Good luck.

In the Building supply dept. look for a "sheetrock" framing square.....

I use a 4 foot square like Luke said and lay a yard stick beside it and mark with a scratch awl or pencil. You will probley need to line one back up on the line one more time to get the full length of the side. Lay both on the side at the same time so you make sure you won't run off. Then cut it off.

post-11301-065291100 1289850189_thumb.jp

Edited by dirtclod

I'm hoping someone can share some tips or tricks on how to cut an initial straight edge along the full length of a side of leather.

The longest ruler I have to use as a guide is 4'.... double that would be nice but I haven't found a local source for something that long.

I'm sure there is a simple, effective trick out there. Anyone?

I went to the hardware store and bought a 3 meter length of aluminum angle profile 40x40 mm. Light and straight.

/ Knut

I bought a 10' length of steel shelving channel ( U-shaped that gets screwed to the wall and brackets placed on to create instant shelves) for about $2.50 at any hardware store. The U-shape makes it very easy to press down and scribe a line without it sliding on the leather.

It'll be hard to beat Frank's idea, . . . especially if you use a clamp on each end. You can then mosey down the full length at your leisure with a razor knife, pocket knive, round knife, or any other cutting instrument you desire to use.

Clamping it down will make your edge straight.

May God bless,

Dwight