I posted over in the patterns and template section looking for a template for an L frame S&W revolver. Ended up making my own template for it. I'm pretty proud of this holster, I think it came out almost perfect. My only issue is where it covers the trigger guard, it should have covered the whole trigger guard not just the trigger. So specs are: it's a high rise pancake style holster made from 8-9oz leather from tandy dyed with feibing light brown and finished with satin shene followed by a coat of Johnson's paste wax. The belt slots will accomodate belts up to 1 3/4" wide and a 1 3/4" belt fits so well that when you tighten the belt it locks the holster in place. This holster won't be moving around on a 1 3/4" belt. Took a bunch of pictures from every conceivable angle so look it over and tell me what you think.

post-55278-0-21821900-1423444957_thumb.j post-55278-0-19194600-1423444954_thumb.j post-55278-0-69787400-1423444955_thumb.j post-55278-0-07359200-1423445043_thumb.j post-55278-0-40876400-1423444963_thumb.j post-55278-0-99088200-1423444964_thumb.j post-55278-0-65688800-1423444958_thumb.j post-55278-0-31922100-1423444960_thumb.j

Those last 2 pictures should give you an idea how the holster rides and how tight it pulls the gun into the body. Your comments are appreciated.

Stu

Very nice, but personally when I was carrying my 9 mm I preferred a holster that did not cover the whole trigger guard I found those style a bit annoying and for some reason it would slow me down on the draw. (Use to work security so quick draw some times was required or at least a seamless draw) I do like the idea of being able to wear different thicknesses of belts with that holster its a nice touch. Also, again personal choice I would have preffered the snap part to be facing away from my body, not against it. But as I said that is my own personal choice over all really great looking piece!

Your holster looks nice. I also like the trigger guard the way it is.

Very nice, but personally when I was carrying my 9 mm I preferred a holster that did not cover the whole trigger guard I found those style a bit annoying and for some reason it would slow me down on the draw. (Use to work security so quick draw some times was required or at least a seamless draw) I do like the idea of being able to wear different thicknesses of belts with that holster its a nice touch. Also, again personal choice I would have preffered the snap part to be facing away from my body, not against it. But as I said that is my own personal choice over all really great looking piece!

I never thought of putting the snap of the outside of the holster, I might have to look into that, maybe I'll try it when I finally get around to building one for my 1911. It's a great idea if I can make it work, I'm just not sure how you'd break the snap without changing your grip. Might take some thinking on that one.

Your holster looks nice. I also like the trigger guard the way it is.

I like the look of it, but I was concerned about having the cover garment get caught in the trigger guard. Odds are it will never happen, we'll see how he feels about it once he's had a chance to carry it a bit.

Thank you both for your comments. Since this is only my third concealed carry holster I'm pleased that more experienced leather workers like the work. Handed it off to the customer today and he was very happy with it so that's a win in my book.

Stu

Hey Stu its more of a matter of grip to pop the snap when its concealed more then actual changing the grip, a quick grip and swing outward when drawing, but then again I am a left hander and have been told I do things stranglly lol but hell that is just me. Its a nice looking holster and yeah the cover garment getting caught in the trigger guard is low odds but then again I have been run over by a car, and survived and that was pretty low odds as well!

It's called a thumb break and the orientation is correct.

All around, it's a pretty good design. Pulls the grip in good and tight, aiding in concealment.

Nice straight stitch line with consistent edge spacing. Pretty good edge work too.

I prefer to cover more of the trigger guard but that's a personal design preference, some holster designs don't cover the trigger at all.

Hey Stu its more of a matter of grip to pop the snap when its concealed more then actual changing the grip, a quick grip and swing outward when drawing, but then again I am a left hander and have been told I do things stranglly lol but hell that is just me. Its a nice looking holster and yeah the cover garment getting caught in the trigger guard is low odds but then again I have been run over by a car, and survived and that was pretty low odds as well!

Sounds like maybe you should have played the lottery.

It's called a thumb break and the orientation is correct.

All around, it's a pretty good design. Pulls the grip in good and tight, aiding in concealment.

Nice straight stitch line with consistent edge spacing. Pretty good edge work too.

I prefer to cover more of the trigger guard but that's a personal design preference, some holster designs don't cover the trigger at all.

An open trigger design on a SA revolver wouldn't bother me and I suppose with the DA triggers on most revolvers these days it wouldn't be much of an issue although it wouldn't be my preferrence. I would not however consider an open trigger design on an auto, seems that would be a recipe for disaster to me. Thank you for your comments on the work, I've only been working with leather a few months so the opinions of more experience people means quite a bit to me.

Stu

For developing your own patten, that looks like it came out pretty nice.

Looks good to me! nice work.

Eddie

I admit it... my blood pressure jumps a few points any time I hear "high" and "holster" in the same breath. But that does look like it "sucks in" purdy good.

Only thing, you might want to split the back when using a thumb break strap. Whole point is, the snap should break free and out the way smoothly. With yours, that's a lot of material to push out the way, particularly if there's shirt or belly up agin the back of the holster :)

Here's what I mean....

post-13153-0-72203300-1425522393_thumb.j

Hopefullly that makes sense. By cutting out that slot, now your thumb only has to move that tab, not the whole back of the holster. Make the snap pop much easier.

Edited by JLSleather

To me, This is a nicely made holster, ? I'm impressed with your own style pattern.

As Camano says, especially, if you only have done a few, it came out really nice ! --- Wild Bill46

I don't think not having the entire trigger guard covered is that big a deal since you have the thumb break. The break will keep the hammer locked down should a bit of shirt get in there. I like the design, with the exception of the sharp corners. Nice job with the edges. Overall a nice piece of work.

Thank you both for the kind words. I'm working on another template right now for one with a 2 1/2" barrel, I'm definitely going to round those corners a bit more on this one. Probably also bring the leather up a tad over the trigger guard. I'll get some pictures up when it's done.

Stu