chuck123wapati

spring flowers and good food

On 7/2/2022 at 11:04 PM, Handstitched said:

A lovely looking flower. Does it have a sweet scent?

i love good food too!!! Tonight its cheese burgers in paradise. lol Cooked on the grill of course. Then an awesome fireworks show.

On 7/5/2022 at 2:15 AM, chuck123wapati said:

i love good food too!!!

Good food is good for the soul, that and a nice Shiraz   :) :)  

I did get a piece of brisket , that will soon be turned into a slow cooked curry in the next week or so. Had nacho's last night, home made  taco seasoning , pretty simple . Smoked paprika, cumin, a bit of salt,  and some cajun seasoning . Delish !!!:yes:

No doubt you have the same issue as we have atm  with the price of meat going up...and up ( amongst everything else)  , so we have to be a bit careful , and go for the cheaper cuts. We're fairly adaptable , we can  pretty much  make anything out of nothing and turn it into a meal, so long as it tastes good and fills our bellies. 

HS

*quick update on the Fordson, nearly finished. Carby re-built,  a few minor bits & bobs to finish, and then...fill up with water and start it. Fingers crossed  :) 

2 hours ago, Handstitched said:

Good food is good for the soul, that and a nice Shiraz   :) :)  

I did get a piece of brisket , that will soon be turned into a slow cooked curry in the next week or so. Had nacho's last night, home made  taco seasoning , pretty simple . Smoked paprika, cumin, a bit of salt,  and some cajun seasoning . Delish !!!:yes:

No doubt you have the same issue as we have atm  with the price of meat going up...and up ( amongst everything else)  , so we have to be a bit careful , and go for the cheaper cuts. We're fairly adaptable , we can  pretty much  make anything out of nothing and turn it into a meal, so long as it tastes good and fills our bellies. 

HS

*quick update on the Fordson, nearly finished. Carby re-built,  a few minor bits & bobs to finish, and then...fill up with water and start it. Fingers crossed  :) 

A brisket here is going for aver 50 bucks now days its getting so i cant afford even the cheap cuts lol. We usually get a few elk every year and that is our main staple of meat. I corn some of it though man it makes some delish corned beast. Summer in full swing and we are loving the greens. Love those Nachos my wife makes me a nacho cake for my Bday lol, its a super everything on it piled high cookie sheet full of nachoey gooey goodness. I admit we eat some junk food but we use all good fresh goodies on it lol advocado, homemade salsa, fresh tomatoes lettuce. green chiles yummmm.

Have you ever made your corn tacos this way? Heat a skillet with a smidge of oil, throw in your fresh uncooked corn tortilla, add your cooked meat and cheese, salsa and let it fry a minute or so then fold it over the meat and cheese before it gets to crunchy, flip it and brown both sides till crunchy. They are so friggin good cooked that way. 

I ve been cooking in the yard  after dark a lot its in the 90s here now lol.

Cant wait to see how your build goes hope you can afford the fuel now lol.

Funny that Brisket used to be the meat no one wanted, Till po folk taught them how to smoke it

same as craw fish, When I was a kid no one at craw fish, we used it as cat fish bait  

4 minutes ago, Frodo said:

Funny that Brisket used to be the meat no one wanted, Till po folk taught them how to smoke it

same as craw fish, When I was a kid no one at craw fish, we used it as cat fish bait  

we never did either missed some fine eating.  lol crawdads are the same price as shrimp here sometimes more. As soon as the river goes down we are going to get a few lol. Th trout and walleys love em too my best lure is a mini  craw trout hit em with a vengeance. 

have you smoked a fish on your smoker yet?   thats fine eating there

Just now, Frodo said:

have you smoked a fish on your smoker yet?   thats fine eating there

oh yea we smoke all our bigger trout. make summer sausage, cheese, old school smoker lol

smoked trout.JPG

summer cheese.JPG

smoker2.JPG

now that bacon is about 10 bucks a pound i will be making and smoking my own again too, I use the butt roast and or the loin they both make fine bacon saw a fresh side at the store the other day almost 100 bucks for it. 

DAMN that looks good!!!

21 hours ago, chuck123wapati said:

Have you ever made your corn tacos this way?

No, but happy to try. But I am a dab hand at  quesadillas, not the Mexican  'ring burners ',( I have 2 oldies to think of * )  but basically wholemeal wraps,  , bacon, leak or onion, capsicum ( red peppers) , and a little garlic, cracked pepper..perhaps any left over pizza meat, ..and lashings of cheese :yes:  Dear God I love cheese !!   Thank God for cows  :) :)

The trout looks  so damn good !!!!!!!!  

We're still using the carcasses from the  Christmas turkey & ham for  hearty soups.  We do our best not to waste food. 

Craw fish look a bit like the English Langoustine, and similar to Yabbies, Jilgies ( pronounced Joogies)  and Koonacs here in Oz . They all taste yummy , no matter what they're called  :)

We  also have Marron ( fresh water crays )  but are protected, and size regulated,  and can only be caught at certain times of the year to maintain numbers. Taste is totally different to sea water crays, more ' earthy' . 

* I actually love a good stinking hot beef or chicken Vindaloo or madras that almost make me sweat  . :devil: But when you have two oldies with sensitive tum tums, I have to be careful .   I've even had curry with chips ( fries) a ' ye olde english'  dish .Dips chips in curry sauce...mmmm:yes:  .   

HS

On 7/11/2022 at 4:47 AM, Handstitched said:

No, but happy to try. But I am a dab hand at  quesadillas, not the Mexican  'ring burners ',( I have 2 oldies to think of * )  but basically wholemeal wraps,  , bacon, leak or onion, capsicum ( red peppers) , and a little garlic, cracked pepper..perhaps any left over pizza meat, ..and lashings of cheese :yes:  Dear God I love cheese !!   Thank God for cows  :) :)

The trout looks  so damn good !!!!!!!!  

We're still using the carcasses from the  Christmas turkey & ham for  hearty soups.  We do our best not to waste food. 

Craw fish look a bit like the English Langoustine, and similar to Yabbies, Jilgies ( pronounced Joogies)  and Koonacs here in Oz . They all taste yummy , no matter what they're called  :)

We  also have Marron ( fresh water crays )  but are protected, and size regulated,  and can only be caught at certain times of the year to maintain numbers. Taste is totally different to sea water crays, more ' earthy' . 

* I actually love a good stinking hot beef or chicken Vindaloo or madras that almost make me sweat  . :devil: But when you have two oldies with sensitive tum tums, I have to be careful .   I've even had curry with chips ( fries) a ' ye olde english'  dish .Dips chips in curry sauce...mmmm:yes:  .   

HS

we were given a bushel of jalapenos peppers the other day . I now have about 50 quarts of pickled jalapenos half regular pickle half bread and butter pickle thanks to my awesome wife and kids, two days of work but a few years of good eats lol !! waste not want not.

all of your photos are great! 

On 7/15/2022 at 3:01 AM, Cassy0110 said:

all of your photos are great! 

thank you:)

@chuck123wapati

Hope your foodie journey is going well. 

Massaman curry is on the menu Saturday night . Got the paste yesterday .  Never had a Massaman before .  Its a Thai curry. Its a bit sweeter than a regular Indian style curry ....apparently .  I'll be using brisket,thawing out as I type,   it'll go on about mid-day and cook all through the day  ,  

nice and s-l-o-w  :) 

I'll see how it goes . 

I just need a few more papadums   from the supermarket  . 

HS

*PS : I am >> this<< close to getting my tractor started, everything is ready...I just need some dry weather , Mother Nature is making me wait.   * 

Edited by Handstitched

2 hours ago, Handstitched said:

@chuck123wapati

Hope your foodie journey is going well. 

Massaman curry is on the menu Saturday night . Got the paste yesterday .  Never had a Massaman before .  Its a Thai curry. Its a bit sweeter than a regular Indian style curry ....apparently .  I'll be using brisket,thawing out as I type,   it'll go on about mid-day and cook all through the day  ,  

nice and s-l-o-w  :) 

I'll see how it goes . 

I just need a few more papadums   from the supermarket  . 

HS

*PS : I am >> this<< close to getting my tractor started, everything is ready...I just need some dry weather , Mother Nature is making me wait.   * 

oh yea I floured and fried a couple of chickens last night over the open fire. man i love cast iron. The wife made potato salad to go with it used those pickled jalapenos in it a darn it was good with that little bit of spice. I wish we had a little moisture its dryer than a popcorn fart here lol and hot. 

15 hours ago, chuck123wapati said:

I wish we had a little moisture its dryer than a popcorn fart here lol and hot. 

We have the complete opposite, heaps of rain. Even worse in the east....floods. Thankfully no markets or events this weekend.  I've seen the bush fires in the UK and everywhere else. The UK is just not used to those conditions.  Heartbreaking to see, but  sadly , something we're all too familiar  with here in Oz. 

The chooks sound so good, and yes, theres something about cooking on a open fire, the flavour is totally different.  The jalapenos sound really spicy .  Yummy Potato salads, very common at just about every party, and BBQ here. Not complete without it. 

I sometimes watch ' Korean Street food ' on 'youtoobalicious '  . May not look all that healthy, but looks tasty :yes: 

HS

23 hours ago, Handstitched said:

Massaman curry is on the menu Saturday night .

It went well . I didn't go overboard with the  'spice' , but delish, but next time I'll put a bit extra paste in the mix.  Thai curry pastes  can have quite a kick .  A different aroma & taste  than an Indian curry . The brisket was soooooo tender with a lot of flavour :yes: . 

HS

4 hours ago, Handstitched said:

It went well . I didn't go overboard with the  'spice' , but delish, but next time I'll put a bit extra paste in the mix.  Thai curry pastes  can have quite a kick .  A different aroma & taste  than an Indian curry . The brisket was soooooo tender with a lot of flavour :yes: . 

HS

Your gonna make me buy a brisket before this is over lol. They are about 50 bucks here for a whole one. Last night was roast beef I had a ten pound bone in roast in the freezer from the tee bone section, Trimmed out the meat and tied it up, slow roasted, poked some holes in it and stuck in some garlic cloves salt and pepper. dang it was fork tender. We will be having roast beef sandwiches tonight, home made bread and the works lol. the tee bones will be frozen for later stew.

11 hours ago, chuck123wapati said:

They are about 50 bucks here for a whole one.

Here, its $16 per kilo, not sure what that equates to over there.  The size of the brisket was just a bit over a kilo. It has a bit more fat than gravy or chuck steak...equates to more flavour .  I also put in a few roughly chopped potatoes   & a large carrot chopped up.  Came out quite good  :)

My next culinary   ' adventure'  will be butter chicken . 

HS

On 7/23/2022 at 11:15 PM, chuck123wapati said:

We will be having roast beef sandwiches tonight

Yummo !!!! That will go so well with our home made piccalilli . Unlike the supermarket versions all mashed up and no flavour, , Ours is all chunky  with fresh vegies , mustard, turmeric fresh ingredients etc.  a ' secret recipe' ... almost. I eat it  straight from the jar sometimes. 

The left over massaman curry  and a previous  lamb roast got turned into a nice pie, ...with a bit of left over mince  ....with a bit of extra curry powder  . Scalloped potato on the top with cheese, served up with a few vegies.  Damn good it was :yes: 

Our $$$ are getting tight these days . Thank God for left overs eh ?  . Nothing gets wasted in this house. 

HS 

Edited by Handstitched

2 minutes ago, Handstitched said:

The left over massaman curry  and a previous  lamb roast got turned into a nice pie, ...with a bit of left over mince  ....with a bit of extra curry powder  . Scalloped potato on the top with cheese, served up with a few vegies.  Damn good it was :yes: 

Our $$$ are getting tight these days . Thank God for left overs eh ?  . Nothing gets wasted in this house. 

HS 

yes it is I'm down to one tank of gas a month and checking all the marked down foods daily just to get by. So there no waste here if we can help it, if we don't eat it our dogs do lol. My roast made three full meals plus we still have the bone for boiling, I'm thinking beef and homemade noodles. 

On 7/27/2022 at 9:49 PM, chuck123wapati said:

checking all the marked down foods daily just to get by.

They are in big demand these days, they don't last long.

Hope all is well in your universe.  

After a frustrating  few days, a lot of driving in bad weather for leather supplies, our market for Saturday got canned, and frustration with a customer, *sigh* ...I decided to cheer myself up, found a cheap-ish T bone steak and a few ' snags' ( sausages) at the supermarket  and cooked em up on the barbie and ate them straight off the BBQ plate, yummo ,  ( no washing up) all washed down with a beer...feel better now :)

Butter chicken   next week.  I won't cheat, I'll have a go at making my own butter sauce from scratch , I'll try not to mess it up. 

HS

3 hours ago, Handstitched said:

They are in big demand these days, they don't last long.

Hope all is well in your universe.  

After a frustrating  few days, a lot of driving in bad weather for leather supplies, our market for Saturday got canned, and frustration with a customer, *sigh* ...I decided to cheer myself up, found a cheap-ish T bone steak and a few ' snags' ( sausages) at the supermarket  and cooked em up on the barbie and ate them straight off the BBQ plate, yummo ,  ( no washing up) all washed down with a beer...feel better now :)

Butter chicken   next week.  I won't cheat, I'll have a go at making my own butter sauce from scratch , I'll try not to mess it up. 

HS

yum!! Had egg foo young last night and teriyaki elk strips, celery and onions over dry noodles. eggs are now almost 4 bucks a dozen twice as much as two year ago so now they are a  main dish lol. I fried up some rabbit the other day, my daughter raises them, absolutely nothing like wild rabbit its much more tender and the flavor is amazing. 

6 minutes ago, chuck123wapati said:

eggs are now almost 4 bucks a dozen

They're around 5-6 bucks a doz here,  sometimes more ,  totally crazy  . But we have a couple of  healthy chooks that have been laying constantly, thats a blessing, but we still have to buy chook food, but that gets supplemented with kitchen left overs , scraps etc. that keeps the costs way down, besides , they taste better. 

My Mother would love you & your Daughter, she's a big fan of rabbit  . She's from the  'olde' world when it comes to rabbit.  Her Father ( my Grandfather)  once said to her, "never buy a dressed  rabbit from a butcher" ..in case its a cat :yes: .  

HS

On 8/5/2022 at 8:17 AM, Handstitched said:

They're around 5-6 bucks a doz here,  sometimes more ,  totally crazy  . But we have a couple of  healthy chooks that have been laying constantly, thats a blessing, but we still have to buy chook food, but that gets supplemented with kitchen left overs , scraps etc. that keeps the costs way down, besides , they taste better. 

My Mother would love you & your Daughter, she's a big fan of rabbit  . She's from the  'olde' world when it comes to rabbit.  Her Father ( my Grandfather)  once said to her, "never buy a dressed  rabbit from a butcher" ..in case its a cat :yes: .  

HS

i saw fresh free range eggs here today 8 bucks a dozen that's freekin crazy. we have been stalking our pantry with canned foods for the last two years have two 20 lb buckets of powdered eggs i'm thinking we will be using them pretty soon.

i'm sure we would love her too we would feed her all kinds of goodies.:) 

That's why you didn't  buy a pig in poke too lol.