chuck123wapati

spring flowers and good food

@chuck123wapati Hwy Chuck, good to see you're 'baaaaack'  :) Just a quick update, I'm having all sorts of  issues with ISP's , 'pooters' and 'teknolagee' atm . ( have a look at 'Pet Peeves' thread)  Using public access pooters atm  so I won't be on as much as I used to, not for a while at least. Thats the disadvantage of living in the bush.   Haven't done much cooking lately either, other than the usual plain ol boring evening meals . 

All the best, 

HS

9 hours ago, Handstitched said:

@chuck123wapati Hwy Chuck, good to see you're 'baaaaack'  :) Just a quick update, I'm having all sorts of  issues with ISP's , 'pooters' and 'teknolagee' atm . ( have a look at 'Pet Peeves' thread)  Using public access pooters atm  so I won't be on as much as I used to, not for a while at least. Thats the disadvantage of living in the bush.   Haven't done much cooking lately either, other than the usual plain ol boring evening meals . 

All the best, 

HS

oh well Teknolagee is over rated!! Been doin good here its almost springtime Good to hear from you, I hope everything else is working. remember you can have bread and water or tea and toast its all up to you lol.

Today is eclipse day, and we're supposed to get 99% coverage of the sun. Yeah - woke up to a totally overcast sky, and can't even tell where the sun is... :rolleyes2: [grumble!]

Ah, well, guess that would qualify as a first world problem to most people!

And no, I have no plans to drive anywhere to get a better view of it. According to the weather map, that would mean either driving south of the border, or almost as far east as Quebec!

Edit: Welcome back, Chuck! Glad you are doing well!

Edited by Sheilajeanne

23 minutes ago, Sheilajeanne said:

Today is eclipse day, and we're supposed to get 99% coverage of the sun. Yeah - woke up to a totally overcast sky, and can't even tell where the sun is... :rolleyes2: [grumble!]

Ah, well, guess that would qualify as a first world problem to most people!

And no, I have no plans to drive anywhere to get a better view of it. According to the weather map, that would mean either driving south of the border, or almost as far east as Quebec!

We're expecting about 90% here in Philly.  Skies are clear.  Couldn't find eclipse glasses anywhere, so I'll use a sextant to view.  

I also put together an eclipse kit .....

434342230_805182910939857_5446083597852668408_n.jpg

1 hour ago, Sheilajeanne said:

thank you!!

1 hour ago, billybopp said:

We're expecting about 90% here in Philly.  Skies are clear.  Couldn't find eclipse glasses anywhere, so I'll use a sextant to view.  

I also put together an eclipse kit .....

434342230_805182910939857_5446083597852668408_n.jpg

i took the lens out of my welding helmet and used it on my camera to take pics of the last one. 

20 hours ago, chuck123wapati said:

thank you!!

i took the lens out of my welding helmet and used it on my camera to take pics of the last one. 

As it turned out, we didn't get to see much.  I was able to see up to about 1/3 coverage when heavy clouds rolled in ... and just about the time it was all over they rolled out.  I don't mind so much for myself as I've seen several eclipses in the past, but my partner has never seen one, and now still hasn't.   

- Bill

7 minutes ago, billybopp said:

As it turned out, we didn't get to see much.  I was able to see up to about 1/3 coverage when heavy clouds rolled in ... and just about the time it was all over they rolled out.  I don't mind so much for myself as I've seen several eclipses in the past, but my partner has never seen one, and now still hasn't.   

- Bill

dang that's to bad. we got about a half eclipse here but it was cloudy also so I didn't look very long. 

@chuck123wapati  G'Day, Hope all is well in your part of the universe. Getting cold at nights now, but quite warm during the days ,  almost like a Summers day sometimes. We desperately need rain. Haven't had any rain for a long time. Farmers are dry seeding atm , in the hope that it might rain. 

Haven't  done any BBQ's or anything like that  since my best friend , Mum, passed away* . Theres no point, and I just don't have any enthusiasm . .  Its  just me and Dad now, and he's not a big eater so theres no point in doing the big meals like I used to. 

*Its been 12 months in June  already, that went quick. 

HS

On 5/20/2024 at 9:24 PM, Handstitched said:

@chuck123wapati  G'Day, Hope all is well in your part of the universe. Getting cold at nights now, but quite warm during the days ,  almost like a Summers day sometimes. We desperately need rain. Haven't had any rain for a long time. Farmers are dry seeding atm , in the hope that it might rain. 

Haven't  done any BBQ's or anything like that  since my best friend , Mum, passed away* . Theres no point, and I just don't have any enthusiasm . .  Its  just me and Dad now, and he's not a big eater so theres no point in doing the big meals like I used to. 

*Its been 12 months in June  already, that went quick. 

HS

Hang in there my friend and enjoy a meal made just for yourself your mum would say so too I'll bet. I've been staying with my daughter who had emergency surgery, thought she was dead, she was in the hospital 28 days  and me 12 by her side. I'll be off and on as she is home now but still needs our help.  I almost missed springtime lol the grass is a foot tall in my yard.

Stay safe love your dad and bbq for mum.:)

3 hours ago, chuck123wapati said:

Hang in there my friend and enjoy a meal made just for yourself your mum would say so too I'll bet. I've been staying with my daughter who had emergency surgery, thought she was dead, she was in the hospital 28 days  and me 12 by her side. I'll be off and on as she is home now but still needs our help.  I almost missed springtime lol the grass is a foot tall in my yard.

Stay safe love your dad and bbq for mum.:)

Prayers for your daughter! That’s quite something, to be in the hospital for that long. Must have been a serious issue. Glad she’s back home, on the mend. 

5 hours ago, chuck123wapati said:

Stay safe love your dad and bbq for mum

I might have a few pork ribs in the freezer that I can do on the barby tonight . Its looking quite worse for wear these days , I got it back in the mid 90's, surprised its lasted this long, but still functions, just needs a good clean, but its the rust thats holding it together I'm sure .

I wish you and your Daughter the very best friend, that was scary ,  and hope she recovers soon,  prayers to you  and your Family.

HS

Wow, so that's probably one of the reasons you haven't been around here much, Chuck - you've had far more important things on your mind! :o  You have my prayers for your daughter!

Glad she is back home now!

We've had some freaky weather here today. There were TWO tornado warnings, plus severe thunderstorm and hail warnings. Fortunately, my part of the country missed the worst of it. Haven't found out yet about the rest of S. Ontario. It's been the hottest it's been so far this year, and of course, VERY humid and sticky.  I don't know what the high was - probably low 80's, but felt worse due to the humidity.

On 5/22/2024 at 6:31 PM, Mablung said:

Prayers for your daughter! That’s quite something, to be in the hospital for that long. Must have been a serious issue. Glad she’s back home, on the mend. 

thank you!!! prayers are what pulled her through this ordeal.

God is great!

On 5/22/2024 at 9:04 PM, Handstitched said:

I might have a few pork ribs in the freezer that I can do on the barby tonight . Its looking quite worse for wear these days , I got it back in the mid 90's, surprised its lasted this long, but still functions, just needs a good clean, but its the rust thats holding it together I'm sure .

I wish you and your Daughter the very best friend, that was scary ,  and hope she recovers soon,  prayers to you  and your Family.

HS

thank you my friend!! My mom loved St. patty's day, she had a green plastic necklace with a shot glass on it she wore every year, she didn't use it really. She passed two days before Patty's day. I wear it every year now and have a shot for her and myself. That old BBQ is a classic better than what you can buy now. Enjoy life !!

prayers for your family

Here is some good food to look at

IMG_0517.jpeg

IMG_0512.jpeg

IMG_0511.jpeg

image.thumb.jpg.f40198357bde6db743d07e39b6a4cb3b.jpg

On 5/22/2024 at 11:35 PM, Sheilajeanne said:

Wow, so that's probably one of the reasons you haven't been around here much, Chuck - you've had far more important things on your mind! :o  You have my prayers for your daughter!

Glad she is back home now!

We've had some freaky weather here today. There were TWO tornado warnings, plus severe thunderstorm and hail warnings. Fortunately, my part of the country missed the worst of it. Haven't found out yet about the rest of S. Ontario. It's been the hottest it's been so far this year, and of course, VERY humid and sticky.  I don't know what the high was - probably low 80's, but felt worse due to the humidity.

Thank you for the prayers and good words. I can now add to my resume packing open wounds, cleaning a JP drain tube, and  administering iv antibiotics. all of which I really had no intention to learn in my lifetime. But I made a promise to her  40 years ago to keep her safe. Stay safe in that weather. :)

3 minutes ago, Frodo said:

prayers for your family

Here is some good food to look at

IMG_0517.jpeg

IMG_0512.jpeg

IMG_0511.jpeg

image.thumb.jpg.f40198357bde6db743d07e39b6a4cb3b.jpg

thank you for the prayers!!!!  but dang man i just spent 12 days eating city food and you sent me this LOL. OH well I'm home now and mama is feeding me again .

Pork loins

pulled, bbq sauce

no bbq sauce

sliced

chicken quarters

stuffed jalapeño bacon wrap

all smoked. 
and I am set up and selling

image.thumb.jpg.24e009db8287b5a023661a8b80d6bdf2.jpg

City food?

I picked blue berries yesterday and made a cobbler

For real Chuck , your family is added to my prayer chain

20 minutes ago, Frodo said:

For real Chuck , your family is added to my prayer chain

God bless you my friend,

you and yours as well.

4 hours ago, chuck123wapati said:

Thank you for the prayers and good words. I can now add to my resume packing open wounds, cleaning a JP drain tube, and  administering iv antibiotics. all of which I really had no intention to learn in my lifetime. But I made a promise to her  40 years ago to keep her safe. Stay safe in that weather. :)

Wow!  When I was a community nurse, we taught families to do basic wound care, and empty JP drains, but packing wounds was strictly a job for the nurse!  Patients and their families were also taught to manage those little portable infusion pumps  that fit in a waist pouch (CADD pumps) and change the bag every 24 hours, but the nurse still came every 3 days to change the pump tubing and reposition the IV if necessary. And the pole mounted pumps were only operated by nurses, as the system could easily get air bubbles in the line. 

Good for you, Chuck! 

13 hours ago, Sheilajeanne said:

Wow!  When I was a community nurse, we taught families to do basic wound care, and empty JP drains, but packing wounds was strictly a job for the nurse!  Patients and their families were also taught to manage those little portable infusion pumps  that fit in a waist pouch (CADD pumps) and change the bag every 24 hours, but the nurse still came every 3 days to change the pump tubing and reposition the IV if necessary. And the pole mounted pumps were only operated by nurses, as the system could easily get air bubbles in the line. 

Good for you, Chuck! 

medicine has come a ways now home ivs come in a little pressurized ball that need no pumps or have problems with air. I almost forgot  I also now know how to clean a stoma and fit a colostomy bag. We have to go back twice a week to get her wound vac changed which is a two hour trip both ways. We still have a lot of time before she is well and life is  semi normal again for me, never normal again for her.

if your interested in some newer medical stuff.   infusion balls https://www.progressivemedinc.com/our-products/epic/

picc line   https://www.mayoclinic.org/tests-procedures/picc-line/about/pac-20468748

wound vac   https://duckduckgo.com/?q=wound+vac+&t=chromentp&iax=videos&ia=videos&iai=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DZourpoEOoT0

Ah, yeah, am familiar with all of those! I had a PICC line during my chemo, and was responsible for managing them for my patients who were on chemo. We sometimes used the little medicine balls for giving chemo, though it was more commonly given in the hospital, and antibiotics were given via CADD pump.

Wound vacs are not fun to manage - the suction often develops leaks and sets off the alarm. 

A friend of mine from church had a temporary ostomy, and as she was elderly and  widowed, another close friend learned to help with the management of the bag. I remember her being very upset about this, as she found it a real challenge, and felt it should be the nurse's responsibility. I had to bite my tongue to keep from saying, "Hey, be glad the ostomy isn't PERMANENT!" 

What a lot for you to deal with, Chuck! And, of course, your daughter, too! :no:  Does she have children to look after as well?

On 5/26/2024 at 6:47 AM, Sheilajeanne said:

Ah, yeah, am familiar with all of those! I had a PICC line during my chemo, and was responsible for managing them for my patients who were on chemo. We sometimes used the little medicine balls for giving chemo, though it was more commonly given in the hospital, and antibiotics were given via CADD pump.

Wound vacs are not fun to manage - the suction often develops leaks and sets off the alarm. 

A friend of mine from church had a temporary ostomy, and as she was elderly and  widowed, another close friend learned to help with the management of the bag. I remember her being very upset about this, as she found it a real challenge, and felt it should be the nurse's responsibility. I had to bite my tongue to keep from saying, "Hey, be glad the ostomy isn't PERMANENT!" 

What a lot for you to deal with, Chuck! And, of course, your daughter, too! :no:  Does she have children to look after as well?

yes 5 kids, four over 20 plus me and my wife to help her through this. They take turns staying with her. Nothing trumps family lol. Wound vac and picc lines are managed strictly through the experts, nurses don't even touch them here. I have a repair kits for leaks but that is all I do with that. It isn't hard to see on strangers but when its connected to my daughter with a six inch hole in her stomach its a different story. Life goes on, this time its a happy ending for us.

2 hours ago, chuck123wapati said:

Wound vac and picc lines are managed strictly through the experts, nurses don't even touch them

Funny how things are different here. One of the first things I learned as a community nurse was how to care for a PICC line, how to do a positive pressure flush, and how to do a sterile dressing change on it. I saw a LOT of PICC lines in the commnity as we had a large percentage of cancer patients. It stands for peripherally inserted central catheter, and it's a long catheter that's inserted in the arm and ends in a big vein just above the heart. It's use for medications that will damage smaller veins (chemotherapy drugs) or for people who need really long-term IV therapy, and the nurses are running out of veins in the person's arms and hands, and can no longer find a place to stick the needle. Wound vacs were a new tech that came along when I was already doing community nursing, and we had to attend a special seminar to learn how to manage them. Not all the nurses were qualified to do this. 

Doing wound care is a HUGE part of community nursing, as you get the surgical cases that went wrong when the person got a postop wound infection. We also got the diabetics with chronic ulcers and pressure sores, and the people with new colostomies that are still healing, and the person is still learning how to cope with changing the bag. You get used to seeing a lot of really ugly, gnarly stuff. I found for the most part it didn't bother me, because it was attached to a living breathing patient that I was trying to help. 

Then we had to attend a day long seminar on advanced wound care. Seeing all these wounds on a projector screen, isolated from a live patient was a different story. I began to wonder if I was the only one finding them hard to look at. I glanced around the room. A number of nurses were staring off into space, obviously avoiding looking at the screen. A tough-looking male nurse had his head down on his desk, as if he were trying not to faint... :wacko: 

I though, oookay, at least I'm not the only one!   

Glad you have the family's help , Chuck. That's a tough spot to be in.

And listen to the nurses - most community nurses know more than your average doctor about wound care!  One of the most 'golly-gee!' moments I had as a nurse was when the patient's family doctor asked me what he should write as a wound care order for a patient with an infected incision following  heart bypass surgery. He said, "You obviously know more about this than I do."  God bless him - most doctors don't have the humility to say those words!