chuck123wapati

spring flowers and good food

On 10/5/2023 at 6:24 AM, fredk said:

Char-grilled / barbied burger, slice of pickled beet under, a slice of strong cheddar cheese on top, a little salt directly on burger, lightly toasted bap/bun with sesame seeds on top

yum

On 10/5/2023 at 4:35 AM, Handstitched said:

Low & slow it is :specool: I'll put it in the oven before lunch  about 10 ish in the  morning , with a few  herbs and some seasoning ...and set & forget. Leftovers can be turned into sandwiches , strir frys etc.  My Mother always told me to remove ' the silver skin '  on a roast , otherwise its like a piece of beef in a straight jacket. 

Do you have beetroot in your burgers over there?  Its an ' Aussie thing ' here :)   A burger isn't complete without beetroot. We ( me and Dad )  just had burgers for tea, with cheese and beetroot of course  :)

HS

I must say you guys are right they are delish on a burger, tried them out last night with a few pickled jalapenos on top for spice. Darn tasty indeed!!!!  Thank you for that treat.

11 hours ago, chuck123wapati said:

Thank you for that treat.

You're welcome  :) I'll make an ' Aussie ' out of you yet,  LOL .

We all have countless  food differences in our worlds,  but the one single condiment I don't  think you have over there is ' chicken salt' .Every tuck shop, fish & chip shop ,  roadhouse and ' fry & die'  takeaway has chicken salt  , someone buys hot chips, 9 times out of ten, people go for the chicken salt, I do.  Some people like gravy on their chips....I don't .  " Ostraylia " is weird  . 

HS 

I make my own 'chicken salt'. I've been making it for over 25 years. There are a few variants of 'chicken salt' and some are the same as a medieval condiment called 'poudre deuce' 

6 minutes ago, fredk said:

I make my own 'chicken salt

Aussies would love you  :) But Aussies are a fussy lot, it has to be a certain type . Some I have tried tastes like sh**t and very yellow...eek.   Same with ' sausage sizzles'  ,   just a long roll BBQ'ed sausage with onions with sauce , mustard etc. . One on the biggest community fundraisers around Oz, (that and lammo's ) . But....theres an art to it. Sausage in the long roll... first ...and onions on top after,    and sauce etc on top last .

Do the opposite, and Aussies get the sh*ts up  . A certain hardware chain did that...and..o'h boy , the whole country was up in arms and the socials went nuts !!!   WW3 could break out,  but just don't  mess up the 'sausage sizzle' ...lol 

HS

ach, shure we call that a 'sausage bap' or a 'pig in a roll'. Very popular with the likes of builders as a mid-morning breakfast.  Grilled pork sausage. You get chucked out of the shop if you want a beef sausage. 

13 minutes ago, fredk said:

'pig in a roll'

Yup....we're on the same page, its sometimes called a ' pig in a blanket'  ( even though its beef)  . Just a slice of bread, folded corner to corner, with sausage , onions sauce etc. in between  .  Common at farmers auctions/markets and clearing sales etc.  Getting damn hungry now, but my belly is already full,   lol  :) 

HS

4 hours ago, fredk said:

I make my own 'chicken salt'. I've been making it for over 25 years. There are a few variants of 'chicken salt' and some are the same as a medieval condiment called 'poudre deuce' 

3 hours ago, Handstitched said:

Aussies would love you  :) But Aussies are a fussy lot, it has to be a certain type . Some I have tried tastes like sh**t and very yellow...eek.   Same with ' sausage sizzles'  ,   just a long roll BBQ'ed sausage with onions with sauce , mustard etc. . One on the biggest community fundraisers around Oz, (that and lammo's ) . But....theres an art to it. Sausage in the long roll... first ...and onions on top after,    and sauce etc on top last .

Do the opposite, and Aussies get the sh*ts up  . A certain hardware chain did that...and..o'h boy , the whole country was up in arms and the socials went nuts !!!   WW3 could break out,  but just don't  mess up the 'sausage sizzle' ...lol 

HS

ok i just googled chicken salt but there's a problem. some sites say it is a seasoning  invented for rotisserie chicken and has no chicken in it,  some say it has chicken in it?  any how i would be very grateful and  i wouldn't mind trying someone's secret recipe Fred. I doubt its on a store shelf in Wyoming for me to sample.

25 minutes ago, chuck123wapati said:

ok i just googled chicken salt but there's a problem.

Here ya go friend: But basically , you could make up your own 'salt' with any seasoning you wish, whether its chicken  , beef,  BBQ, spiced or with cayenne  seasoning,, chili  powder ,   anything you like really . Put the two together into a shaker. 

HS

Chippy Salt.jpg

Yup....we're on the same page, its sometimes called a ' pig in a blanket'  ( even though its beef)  .

Here a  'pig in a blanket; is a sausage roll. Sausage meat cooked in a pastry type roll

4 hours ago, Handstitched said:

Aussies would love you  :) 

I reckon it might be cos a lot of Oirish were transported to the penal colony now called Oistraylia

35 minutes ago, chuck123wapati said:

ok i just googled chicken salt but there's a problem. some sites say it is a seasoning  invented for rotisserie chicken and has no chicken in it,  some say it has chicken in it?  any how i would be very grateful and  i wouldn't mind trying someone's secret recipe Fred. I doubt its on a store shelf in Wyoming for me to sample.

No chicken is involved in the making of

My main recipe is. Mix and grind down, not too smoothly, some (no exact measurements, just as much as you like or want)

regular salt, coarse sea salt, ground black pepper, some black pepper corns (crushed down in a mortar), a bit of ground ginger, a wee bit of cinnamon, a wee bit of cardamon,(optional) a wee bit of ground garlic (NOT garlic salt!) and some ground dried onion granules, (NOT onion salt!) and sometimes some other 'erbs I may spot in my cupboard.

All, mixed together and slightly ground together in my mortar & pestle (not the vessel which has the poison. . . . ).Keep it slightly rough so you can taste the large pieces of pepper et cetera  I usually make a very large bowl of it and dispense into salt shakers. It lasts a very long time as you don't use much. I've given some away to some friends from South Africa and OZ and they like it and they gave it the thumbs up.

The main differences between this and medieval 'poudre deuce' is that contains saffron (lots) and finely ground sugar (lots) and was used on top of puddings. not chips/fries, cooked chicken. I like it on cooked ham slices in a sandwich

3 hours ago, fredk said:

Here a  'pig in a blanket; is a sausage roll. Sausage meat cooked in a pastry type roll

I reckon it might be cos a lot of Oirish were transported to the penal colony now called Oistraylia

No chicken is involved in the making of

My main recipe is. Mix and grind down, not too smoothly, some (no exact measurements, just as much as you like or want)

regular salt, coarse sea salt, ground black pepper, some black pepper corns (crushed down in a mortar), a bit of ground ginger, a wee bit of cinnamon, a wee bit of cardamon,(optional) a wee bit of ground garlic (NOT garlic salt!) and some ground dried onion granules, (NOT onion salt!) and sometimes some other 'erbs I may spot in my cupboard.

All, mixed together and slightly ground together in my mortar & pestle (not the vessel which has the poison. . . . ).Keep it slightly rough so you can taste the large pieces of pepper et cetera  I usually make a very large bowl of it and dispense into salt shakers. It lasts a very long time as you don't use much. I've given some away to some friends from South Africa and OZ and they like it and they gave it the thumbs up.

The main differences between this and medieval 'poudre deuce' is that contains saffron (lots) and finely ground sugar (lots) and was used on top of puddings. not chips/fries, cooked chicken. I like it on cooked ham slices in a sandwich

I appreciate it, thank you very much. 

a pig in a blanket here is a hotdog wrapped in store bought biscuit dough and popped in the oven. Not nearly as good as they sound lol.

Never had chicken salt but I just looked and Amazon has several including that Chippy salt pictured above

1 hour ago, bladegrinder said:

Never had chicken salt but I just looked and Amazon has several including that Chippy salt pictured above

dang i should a looked. thanks for the info i9it sounds like it may be good on fries/ chips.

On 10/8/2023 at 12:00 PM, fredk said:

All, mixed together and slightly ground together in my mortar & pestle (not the vessel which has the poison. . . . )

That's a 'Court Jester' reference, isn't it?  :rofl:  

8 hours ago, Sheilajeanne said:

That's a 'Court Jester' reference, isn't it?  

"The pellet with the poison in the vessel with the pestle" 

Try saying that as fast as you can , have a glass of wine, and say it again, have a glass of wine ... ..repeat ha!! :) 

Or, " the cat crept into the crypt crapped and crept out " .

HS

On Wednesday when I was in my workshop, I was watching a DVD, when I should have been working...shhh:whistle: I could hear a lovely bird ( a honey eater I think)   in the gum tree right outside my window, chirping its beautiful  heart out,  I turned the DVD off,  then another replied from a distance  , and another in a different direction and so on . Eventually there were  4 perhaps 5 birds all chatting to each other. I was more entertained  from that  than the DVD . Then all of a sudden, it all just stopped, maybe they were spooked .  I feel sorry for those living in the city, they wouldn't hear any of that.  I also wonder what it was they were talking about , :dunno:, could have been Mum , Dad and the kids , " dinner time !!!! "  lol . 

HS

On Wednesday when I was in my workshop, I was watching a DVD, when I should have been working...shhh:whistle: I could hear a lovely bird ( a honey eater I think)   in the gum tree right outside my window, chirping its beautiful  heart out,  I turned the DVD off,  then another replied from a distance  , and another in a different direction and so on . Eventually there were  4 perhaps 5 birds all chatting to each other. I was more entertained  from that  than the DVD . Then all of a sudden, it all just stopped, maybe they were spooked .  I feel sorry for those living in the city, they wouldn't hear any of that.  I also wonder what it was they were talking about , :dunno:, could have been Mum , Dad and the kids , " dinner time !!!! "  lol . 

HS

That's what I love to do just sit and listen to life in the wild. I especially love when the sun comes up, there is a moment right before when every wild critter quits making noise and there is nothing to hear but total silence then as the sun breaks the birds and all the animals start back up. We took the camper up to the mountains yesterday for hunting season so we could get set up before the weather hits and its snowing this morning. Gonna be fun cant wait to sit by the fire and have some of my homemade brandy. 

Gonna be fun cant wait to sit by the fire and have some of my homemade brandy. 

Its about time someone invented a transporter like on Star Trek, I'd come and join you, I would so love that,  and your brandy :yes:  Hope you have a great time :specool: 

Stay safe  :)

HS

9 hours ago, Handstitched said:

Its about time someone invented a transporter like on Star Trek, I'd come and join you, I would so love that,  and your brandy :yes:  Hope you have a great time :specool: 

Stay safe  :)

HS

i would love that too my friend!! Oh yea and some of my wines, elk steaks then a trip to OZ to see your side of life lol. 

We ended up with about an inch of snow in town, its crunch time now buy some groceries do a few odd chores then gas up the burb and we are off to the woods tomorrow.

Wow, snow, and you are quite a way south of me! :o  It was just over a week a go that I had to turn the AC on - last night we nearly hit the freezing mark, and last weekend, Wasaga Beach, which is just to the north of me about 20 km. got some of the white stuff.

It will pretty soon be time to get the snow tires on the SUV!

5 hours ago, Sheilajeanne said:

Wow, snow, and you are quite a way south of me! :o  It was just over a week a go that I had to turn the AC on - last night we nearly hit the freezing mark, and last weekend, Wasaga Beach, which is just to the north of me about 20 km. got some of the white stuff.

It will pretty soon be time to get the snow tires on the SUV!

Don't forget to check your battery also and wiper blades.:)

lol I 'm way south but also way high our town is atop the continental divide at approx. 6800 ft. It should clear up now for a month or so then the real winter will start to set in. Its noon now and all the snow is gone to slush.

Weather here right now is crazy; spring / summer daytime temperatures. Very little wind, clear skies. But at night its getting chilly. I still have my main window wide open, day & night, to keep the temp in my apartment down to a livable 19* or 20*

I only have a very large planter outside my apartment. All the flowers should have shut down for winter coming but over the last 7 -10 days they've all grown and are flowering like its summer

If we ever get snow here if we get as much as 1 inch the whole country goes into chaos! main roads get closed, buses stop running, airports gets closed down. You'd think they'd know by now, winter = some snow, maybe, get snow plough road gritters out before it comes not 3 or 4 days after

Don't forget to check your battery also and wiper blades.:)

lol I 'm way south but also way high our town is atop the continental divide at approx. 6800 ft. It should clear up now for a month or so then the real winter will start to set in. Its noon now and all the snow is gone to slush.

Yeah, I guessed you might be high up!

I don't need to worry too much about my battery - my vehicle is in a heated garage, plus I had to replace the battery a couple of years ago. The new ones seem to last a really long time - my Rav4 is a 2010, and that was the original battery! :o 

Over the last 3 days, I made one of the most important preparations for winter. I replaced my elderly oil furnace with a modern natural gas furnace. The price of oil has gone through the roof in the last few years. Last winter, I paid over $800 for just half a tank of fuel, which is the minimum my provider will allow me to purchase. 

The new furnace is much much quieter, and more efficient. I hope heating with natural gas will give me a break on winter fuel costs. I'm also planning to get someone to line the fireplace chimney, so I can use it without being afraid of setting my roof on fire, and the chimney that used to be for the oil furnace should be blocked off to keep out critters and rainwater.

My craft room shares the room with the furnace. The blower on the old one was so noisy, I'd jump when it switched on! Nice to have a much quieter fan.

20 hours ago, chuck123wapati said:

elk steaks then a trip to OZ to see your side of life lol. 

You could bring me some bacon steaks ??? ...lol . Just starting to get hot now , high temps, but cool evenings, but soon it will be high temps followed by hot nights too, yuk !! 

@chuck123wapati   & @Sheilajeanne Do you have one of those hand held  12v lithium  jump starter thingies that starts cars etc. ??  I have one, but as a back up battery for my EFTPOS , and to start  my lil ol' ' bunky' toyota, .....don't laugh  :blush:

I'm actually thinking of getting an extra one but to run a low powered fan for the markets , it does get quite hot at some venues. 

HS

31 minutes ago, Handstitched said:

You could bring me some bacon steaks ??? ...lol . Just starting to get hot now , high temps, but cool evenings, but soon it will be high temps followed by hot nights too, yuk !! 

@chuck123wapati   & @Sheilajeanne Do you have one of those hand held  12v lithium  jump starter thingies that starts cars etc. ??  I have one, but as a back up battery for my EFTPOS , and to start  my lil ol' ' bunky' toyota, .....don't laugh  :blush:

I'm actually thinking of getting an extra one but to run a low powered fan for the markets , it does get quite hot at some venues. 

HS

i have two batteries in my truck with an isolator that allows one to remain charged at all times. The only thing my secondary battery does is run the winch which i think i may use once every four or five  years so I can use it to jump start if needed. That's an idea on the fan.

I'm heading for the woods today so I'll be gone for a week or so.

3 hours ago, Sheilajeanne said:

Yeah, I guessed you might be high up!

I don't need to worry too much about my battery - my vehicle is in a heated garage, plus I had to replace the battery a couple of years ago. The new ones seem to last a really long time - my Rav4 is a 2010, and that was the original battery! :o 

Over the last 3 days, I made one of the most important preparations for winter. I replaced my elderly oil furnace with a modern natural gas furnace. The price of oil has gone through the roof in the last few years. Last winter, I paid over $800 for just half a tank of fuel, which is the minimum my provider will allow me to purchase. 

The new furnace is much much quieter, and more efficient. I hope heating with natural gas will give me a break on winter fuel costs. I'm also planning to get someone to line the fireplace chimney, so I can use it without being afraid of setting my roof on fire, and the chimney that used to be for the oil furnace should be blocked off to keep out critters and rainwater.

My craft room shares the room with the furnace. The blower on the old one was so noisy, I'd jump when it switched on! Nice to have a much quieter fan.

you should be nice and toasty for sure, i have ng and need to install a new furnace myself, a new electrical service to the house was my big fix this year, hopefully next year the furnace. My blower went out last year and i found most of the parts are obsolete.