Loki74

Cowboy Outlaw, Tippmann Boss or niether?

So I need to be able to use #277+ thread and sew thick leather. I don't have the room and can't afford a heavy stitcher. I can afford around $1600 all in, shipping included and I currently don't have high enough demand where a hand crank is going to bother me. I do have high enough demand where hand stitching ends up costing me more money in time. So I'm wondering if either the boss or outlaw will be a good way for me to go? Anyone have any experience with either?

The Cowboy Outlaw will do what you ask for and is within your budget. It has a deeper throat than the Boss. But, if business picks up, your arm may get tired after a while. ;-)

2 hours ago, Wizcrafts said:

The Cowboy Outlaw will do what you ask for and is within your budget. It has a deeper throat than the Boss. But, if business picks up, your arm may get tired after a while. ;-)

I fully expect some arm fatigue regardless, lol. Beats the fatigue and time of hand stitching though. Hopefully some day I'll be able to get better gear. The deep throat of the outlaw is a nice plus to me. The boss has a package deal with some good accessories that the outlaw doesn't come with. Any idea how durable either of them are?

I have zero experience with the cowboy . . .  but comparing them side by side . . . to me it looks like a cheap . . . sorry . . . imitation.

OTOH . . . 20 yrs + with the Boss . . . it's still carrying on . . . doing what it was intended to do . . .  it has had excellent support from the mfg staff . . . I now own a cowboy 4500 . . . but am keeping the boss for backup.

May God bless,

Dwight

Been using a Boss for about 5 years. Normal wear and tear, had to replace a couple of springs, upgraded the bobbin holder.  Does its job, can't complain.

I had a Boss for almost 7 years. It did everything I asked of it. It can be finicky while you learn its quirks. The only time the "manual" aspect of it was tiring was when I was stitching liners to belts. 

Can't comment on the Outlaw, but It's made/marketed by Cowboy so I presume it's a well-made machine. The Boss has been around longer so there will be a deeper "well" of information and support surrounding it if you need help---something that shouldn't be discounted.

It does have a deeper throat than the Boss. Not a huge deal, but depending on what you're making it could be a deciding factor.

Whichever one you end up picking, make sure you get the edge guide for it. It's indispensable. 

16 minutes ago, Chakotay said:

Whichever one you end up picking, make sure you get the edge guide for it. It's indispensable.

That and the two zipper feet were included in the Boss package that I would have to buy extra with the cowboy.

Thanks for the responses. I'm leaning more towards the Boss currently. It looked pretty bulletproof to me, hearing others confirm it helps a lot.

What about a little more expensive because of shipping... but same priced machine.

https://www.tolindsewmach.com/cb2500.html

A cb2500. No reverse for the same $1395 price. But it offers the same features as the outlaw but just motorized. You can always flip your piece around 180 degrees to back stitch. 

If I was personally buying machines again (I have a Cobra Class 4P). I would have bought the CB2500. It fits my needs exactly. I would have saved a few thousand too. 

Edited by Gulrok

1 hour ago, Gulrok said:

What about a little more expensive because of shipping... but same priced machine.

https://www.tolindsewmach.com/cb2500.html

A cb2500. No reverse for the same $1395 price. But it offers the same features as the outlaw but just motorized. You can always flip your piece around 180 degrees to back stitch. 

If I was personally buying machines again (I have a Cobra Class 4P). I would have bought the CB2500. It fits my needs exactly. I would have saved a few thousand too. 

I looked at the CB2500 and I just think the feed dogs are a bit too aggressive for some of the work I do. The CB3500 would more fit what I do but is way out of my price range. Plus I need lift gate service on the CB2500 which brings it to about $1700 before any accessories. Eventually I plan to go with something like the CB3500 with a servo motor but I'm not sure the 2500 is the right fit for me.

Went ahead and pulled the trigger on a Boss today. Got every accessory they have minus the pony they sell for it. So all in with the accessories and shipping it came to $1509.00. I think I'll be pretty happy with it. I've been swinging my 1.5 lbs. mallett  for years punching stitch holes so I don't see pulling that arm being much trouble. I'll just pretend I'm playing slots.