Tequila

Can It Be Molded?

I’m making a buttstock cover that has a crescent shape at the shoulder end.  I’ve got pig suede that I’m going to use and I’ll sew it to the leather cover.  Can pig suede be molded like a thin veg-tan?  Sorry if this seems dumb, but I know there’s a lot of stuff I don’t know. 

i dont think so at least the stuff i buy wont ., i think it is chrome tanned. But you can always cut off a small chunk and test it.

49 minutes ago, Tequila said:

I’m making a buttstock cover that has a crescent shape at the shoulder end.  I’ve got pig suede that I’m going to use and I’ll sew it to the leather cover.  Can pig suede be molded like a thin veg-tan?  Sorry if this seems dumb, but I know there’s a lot of stuff I don’t know. 

Uhh . . . no . . . 

May God bless,

Dwight

I'm with Chuck, most chrome tan won't stay molded.

Shoe and boot makers mold chrome tan every day and some all day over lasts. I've done a bunch over wooden forms for bucking rolls. From your question, it sounds like you are fastening this to another piece of leather. Are you sewing this down to the leather cover as inlay or overlay piece? If so - yes it will keep the same shape as the piece it is attached to. I've done a lot of inlays with chrome tan and molded it to the inlay plug. I used 50% alcohol/50% water to make solution to help mold the chrome tan. Commercially you can probably still buy Shoe Stretch. Some people use pretty warm water to help mold chrome tan also. 

The pigsuede I've worked with usually has a little more body than equivalent thicknesses of other chrome tanned species. If this is a stand alone chrome tan without much body, line it with some thin vegtan and form it over a mold to to dry if that would work for the project. it sounds like will be supported by the stock underneath so should not be a problem. 

11 hours ago, bruce johnson said:

Shoe and boot makers mold chrome tan every day and some all day over lasts.

So very very true.

13 hours ago, bruce johnson said:

Shoe and boot makers mold chrome tan every day and some all day over lasts. I've done a bunch over wooden forms for bucking rolls. From your question, it sounds like you are fastening this to another piece of leather. Are you sewing this down to the leather cover as inlay or overlay piece? If so - yes it will keep the same shape as the piece it is attached to. I've done a lot of inlays with chrome tan and molded it to the inlay plug. I used 50% alcohol/50% water to make solution to help mold the chrome tan. Commercially you can probably still buy Shoe Stretch. Some people use pretty warm water to help mold chrome tan also. 

The pigsuede I've worked with usually has a little more body than equivalent thicknesses of other chrome tanned species. If this is a stand alone chrome tan without much body, line it with some thin vegtan and form it over a mold to to dry if that would work for the project. it sounds like will be supported by the stock underneath so should not be a problem. 

Thanks Bruce.  The piece will be up against the crescent part of the stock and then glued and sewn to the leather part of the cover.  Do you soak the suede in the water/alcohol mix or just spray some on? 

6 hours ago, Tequila said:

Thanks Bruce.  The piece will be up against the crescent part of the stock and then glued and sewn to the leather part of the cover.  Do you soak the suede in the water/alcohol mix or just spray some on? 

well there ya go! let us know how it goes i wouldn't mind a nice cheek rest on my M1.

21 hours ago, bruce johnson said:

I've successfully molded chrome tan by sticking in in the microwave for 15 seconds before I put it in the mold.  I'm not sure what the heat does but it definitely makes a difference.

This is why I’m thankful for this forum, I thought it was a very long shot that it would be possible, now I’ve got 2 methods to try.  If I can get this to work it’ll be a game changer moving forward.  Thanks for all the help. 

On 7/3/2022 at 12:47 AM, Tequila said:

I had it is a spray bottle and misted it on until pretty damp.  Does not have to be soaking soppy wet but evenly damp all the way through.  

On 7/4/2022 at 9:42 AM, bruce johnson said:

I had it is a spray bottle and misted it on until pretty damp.  Does not have to be soaking soppy wet but evenly damp all the way through.  

Thanks!  I’ll give it a try and post how it works out.