Frodo

river Skiing

Any river skiers on here?

I have never seen anyone do what we used to do along the American river in california

We cut a sheet of plywood 3' wide an 4' long

cut it to look like a tombstone,  installed 2 eye bolts on the nose 1 up, 1 down

rope with handle

300' of 1/2'' bungee cord folded 3 strand to 100'  long

on the edge of the river. place a 55 gallon drum filled with rocks and tie off to the barral

then go skiing.  stand on the board lean back and side to side 

dang that does sound fun i woulda jumped on it back in the day lol. I chose a kayak for my death defying water stunts back in the day. class 5 rapids are a kick You can eddy out then run back up into a rapid pointing upstream and surf them the same way. then paddle hard up stream and the water will stand your kayak straight up on end spin you around and spit you back out.

5 minutes ago, chuck123wapati said:

dang that does sound fun i woulda jumped on it back in the day lol. I chose a kayak for my death defying water stunts back in the day. class 5 rapids are a kick You can eddy out then run back up into a rapid pointing upstream and surf them the same way. then paddle hard up stream and the water will stand your kayak straight up on end spin you around and spit you back out.

class 4  sorry 

43 minutes ago, chuck123wapati said:

class 4  sorry 

Yeah.  i did that crazy stuff when I was 20. I have never been in a kayak,  Canoes yes but no kayak

we used to load up our camping gear and take off for a week end in canoes.  

5 hours ago, Frodo said:

Yeah.  i did that crazy stuff when I was 20. I have never been in a kayak,  Canoes yes but no kayak

we used to load up our camping gear and take off for a week end in canoes.  

I used to love the water sports lol had an old town canoe and a nice kayak. Before that our high school fun was inner tubing on the river with a cooler full o suds .  Now they arrest kids for having that type of good old fashioned enjoyment. 

Used to do the river skiing thing when I was a kid,  but we didn't use bungee cord or a barrel.  We just used rope to attach the ski to the middle of a bridge. As long as the rope was long enough we could launch from the river bank.  Been more years than I want to admit since I last did that.

/dwight

Knee Boarding and water skiing on the rivers was my thing way back , these days I do granpa kayaking on lazy rivers and ponds :yes: