Gezzer

Art ?????

here are some coasters that I tried to tool some animals on .  Long ways to go but I'm gonna hang in there . Critiques  welcome

wolf resized.jpg

elephant resized .jpg

eagle resized.jpg

coasters resized.jpg

I LIKEY LIKE the shape of the coasters. Thumbs up on that!!!

I see nothing wrong with the carving. Looks better than what I do !!!

Off to a great start.  Agree with @Frodo, I really like the unique shape to them.  It is obvious what you carved, meaning I can tell what they are.  Great job.  The only thing I could think to add would be more cut lines, like adding fur to the bear by making small cuts to give it more definition.

those are really nice! i too like the shapes.  for a more three dimensional look bevel deeper, add some background then use a modeling tool to add shape to the image and a lifter to add depth in places like the wolfs mouth,

These are great! That elephant is my favourite! :)

1 hour ago, PastorBob said:

Off to a great start.  Agree with @Frodo, I really like the unique shape to them.  It is obvious what you carved, meaning I can tell what they are.  Great job.  The only thing I could think to add would be more cut lines, like adding fur to the bear by making small cuts to give it more definition.

Thank you for your help . I added a few cuts but it still didn't look right so I added some more, all the way down to just nicks . Now I think I may have over shot .  LOL! It's a learning curve for sure . Daughter will like them as she thinks everything I do is cool ..............  Again Thank you 

bear fur 2.jpg

bear fur.jpg

coaster set .jpg

1 hour ago, chuck123wapati said:

those are really nice! i too like the shapes.  for a more three dimensional look bevel deeper, add some background then use a modeling tool to add shape to the image and a lifter to add depth in places like the wolfs mouth,

Thank you ! I can see your point and will be getting  some more tools .  I am unsure as to background tools , I am thinking bar grounders maybe ? I really don't know what I need , the one I used for elephant skin is a pebble thing that came with a cheap set of tools I bought .  Lifter and background tool are on the list ... waiting on finances .  Thank you

2 hours ago, Frodo said:

I LIKEY LIKE the shape of the coasters. Thumbs up on that!!!

I see nothing wrong with the carving. Looks better than what I do !!!

Thanks for the kind words ! The shape came about as a use of a piece of  scrap but I thought , I like that so the other 3 got cut to match  . LOL !!!!  It' does work well and is different from most i have seen although it's not the  best use of material .  Again Thank you

1 hour ago, Sam83 said:

These are great! That elephant is my favourite! :)

Thank you Sam !!!!

You can take some really ratty looking leather like this, put some tokonalo on it then burnish it smooth

same thing with splits, 

004.JPG.64910f42855f87ed0d46bc04afb681e1.JPG

They look really nice.  Better than my attempt at animals.  

The wolf looks more like a husky dog....wolves have a longer snout than dogs.  (Think wiley coyote)  I thought you were going for a husky until you said otherwise and thought it was a perfect husky dog.  Although the "cute" wolves in cartoons these days tend to have shorter snouts....can't have the kids afraid of all them sharp teeth.  So if that was what you were aiming for you nailed it too.  

Otherwise it's awesome work....

1 hour ago, Gezzer said:

Thank you ! I can see your point and will be getting  some more tools .  I am unsure as to background tools , I am thinking bar grounders maybe ? I really don't know what I need , the one I used for elephant skin is a pebble thing that came with a cheap set of tools I bought .  Lifter and background tool are on the list ... waiting on finances .  Thank you

you can go cheap and make your self a few background tools pretty easy if your handy. stainless bolts, a file or two and a drill made these. i also made my lifters and modeling tool from stainless allthread a couple brass nuts and something for a handle i used leather washers .

tools4.JPG

lifter2.JPG

lijfter1.JPG

29 minutes ago, johnnydb said:

They look really nice.  Better than my attempt at animals.  

The wolf looks more like a husky dog....wolves have a longer snout than dogs.  (Think wiley coyote)  I thought you were going for a husky until you said otherwise and thought it was a perfect husky dog.  Although the "cute" wolves in cartoons these days tend to have shorter snouts....can't have the kids afraid of all them sharp teeth.  So if that was what you were aiming for you nailed it too.  

Otherwise it's awesome work....

Thank you , I may call it a husky then :lol: and no I would never teach a kid about the " softer side of life " I don't even " harvest " deer , I still kill them ;)   

34 minutes ago, chuck123wapati said:

you can go cheap and make your self a few background tools pretty easy if your handy. stainless bolts, a file or two and a drill made these. i also made my lifters and modeling tool from stainless allthread a couple brass nuts and something for a handle i used leather washers .

tools4.JPG

lifter2.JPG

lijfter1.JPG

Really nice , I haven't thought much about making any tools but you may have inspired me too . Thanks

Yep, I like the shape as well! Surprising at first, but then it occurred to me that the only reason most coasters are round is that they are stamped out in mass production. Yours are really unique pieces!

Thanks Klara !