TomE

Padded Bridle

Finished my second bridle.  Appreciate your comments and suggestions.  HO bridle leather, stainless steel hardware, hand sewn with waxed #207 nylon thread.  I'm trying a new-to-me edge treatment - burnishing with hot beeswax.

DSC_8530.jpg.96e2eb788857c555670ecba123ecdf9f.jpg

DSC_8534.jpg.743851a317bdab99710679c6fe9dedaa.jpg

DSC_8541.jpg.b367b611aec7a24bfcbc2cf2d152d9ba.jpg

DSC_8546.jpg.ebcdb942806cfa96cfde1cc9d211091f.jpg

DSC_8547.jpg.940b9107c4bb931ffd8e80eb1aeb5d49.jpg

DSC_8531.jpg.7ddae07a95bc2838e408b1047ba0e3fe.jpg

Nice work. Hot beeswax? How do you go about it?

21 minutes ago, Brushpopper said:

Nice work. Hot beeswax? How do you go about it?

I use a heated brass lollipop burnisher from Duane Watts.  Warm the beeswax in the flame of an alcohol lamp, dab on edge, smooth and work it in with a hot burnishing iron.  This video from Cary Schwartz shows the traditional Dixon style edge iron, which is hard to find.

This is a seriously beautiful bridle! The padded, wide headband looks super comfy.

I know nothing about bridles but I do know perfect leather work when I see it:yes:I can't imagine the hours you have into this, hand sewn woe beautiful work.:thumbsup::You_Rock_Emoticon:

4 hours ago, Klara said:

This is a seriously beautiful bridle! The padded, wide headband looks super comfy.

Thank you @Klara!  The headpiece design is based on an Antares bridle.  

3 hours ago, Bert03241 said:

I know nothing about bridles but I do know perfect leather work when I see it:yes:I can't imagine the hours you have into this, hand sewn woe beautiful work.:thumbsup::You_Rock_Emoticon:

Thanks, @Bert03241.  It's not perfect, but each one I make gets a little easier and I like it better.

Simply elegant.  That could don any of many show horses and the owner would be proud to show it off!  Wow!!!!

2 hours ago, PastorBob said:

Simply elegant.  That could don any of many show horses and the owner would be proud to show it off!  Wow!!!!

Thank you, @PastorBob.  I appreciate your encouragement. Having fun learning new things after putting leathercraft aside for ~45 yrs. 

There is a very lucky horse right now. Gorgeous bridle

1 hour ago, crazytailorlady said:

There is a very lucky horse right now. Gorgeous bridle

Thanks.  He's a 4 year old warmblood who started under saddle last fall and is learning his job. 

Looks amazing! How do you go about padding the headpiece? Process, materials? I’m thinking of doing something similar on a western headstall since they are so rare on the market.

9 hours ago, KatieTroyer said:

Looks amazing! How do you go about padding the headpiece? Process, materials? I’m thinking of doing something similar on a western headstall since they are so rare on the market.

Thank you!  The pad is 1/8" thick neoprene wrapped with 3-4 oz. chrome tanned leather.  The pad is assembled with glue then glued to the crown/headpiece and sewn. Can see the process on JH Leather Youtube videos for padded dog collars.

Beautiful work @TomE! Your keepers look great and excellent attention to detail.

I’m glad someone else mentioned J.H. Leather - she is awesome. I’d also admit to a slight crush. <blush>

I just started using Biothane - good for lesson tack, but lacks the refined beauty of leather like your example above.

Edited by ShellCordovanFan

11 hours ago, ShellCordovanFan said:

Beautiful work @TomE! Your keepers look great and excellent attention to detail.

I’m glad someone else mentioned J.H. Leather - she is awesome. I’d also admit to a slight crush. <blush>

I just started using Biothane - good for lesson tack, but lacks the refined beauty of leather like your example above.

Thank you.  Yes, she's cute but even better she is a highly skilled craftsperson who teaches the traditional methods of saddlery/harness-makng. We use biothane for every day halters.  I buy them from 2 Horse Tack bc their stainless hardware is first rate and I wouldn't save much buying the materials and making them.

A lot of work went into that!  Great job!

Thank you, @Basically Bob.  I'm getting faster but I am basically a 2-trick pony -- bridles and halters.