doubleh

anyone made their swivel knife blade ?

I ran across a broken 3/8" cold chisel  this afternoon and the idea to make a blade popped into my mind and I think I have already dreamed up  a way to do it. I think a hard blade will cut down a lot on the sharpening and stropping and I have the equipment to make one so why not? I know someone sells one that is made from D2 steel (forget who) but where is the fun in just buying one? For some one that is always dreaming up things to make there isn't any. I intend to harden it and leave it hard. If it will get as had as a file that would be ideal.

The blades you buy are fairly soft and easy to sharpen which makes them quick to dull. I heat treated four purchased blade this afternoon trying to get them as hard a possible. One was fairly new and was easily filed after heating to orange color and quenching it. I am pretty sure it's steel content is Chinesium. The other three have been here a long time and they turned out pretty hard so maybe they are at least 1080 steel. A file will still cut them but not easily. I want something that a file just skids on.

Edited by doubleh

Well, if that's where your stick floats. It's nothing I've ever worried about.

Interesting idea. I see where you're coming from but if you get it that hard then stropping probably won't have any effect? Still, I think you should try it as we will all learn something.

If you are looking for DIY project and time is no object, then go for it and see how it works out. If you have constraints, there are other sources. I'd look at an ignition point file blade or cobalt blade from Chuck Smith, blade from Barry King, Lonnie Height, Leatherwrangler, or Clay MIller. 

13 hours ago, doubleh said:

I ran across a broken 3/8" cold chisel  this afternoon and the idea to make a blade popped into my mind and I think I have already dreamed up  a way to do it. I think a hard blade will cut down a lot on the sharpening and stropping and I have the equipment to make one so why not? I know someone sells one that is made from D2 steel (forget who) but where is the fun in just buying one? For some one that is always dreaming up things to make there isn't any. I intend to harden it and leave it hard. If it will get as had as a file that would be ideal.

The blades you buy are fairly soft and easy to sharpen which makes them quick to dull. I heat treated four purchased blade this afternoon trying to get them as hard a possible. One was fairly new and was easily filed after heating to orange color and quenching it. I am pretty sure it's steel content is Chinesium. The other three have been here a long time and they turned out pretty hard so maybe they are at least 1080 steel. A file will still cut them but not easily. I want something that a file just skids on.

heck yea go for it. I buy d2 steel rod from grainger for my small tools. i like it because you can use a mapp gas torch to harden it with no need firing up the big forge,and while your at it you can make quite a few other leather tools from it as well.

On 7/22/2022 at 7:47 PM, tsunkasapa said:

Well, if that's where your stick floats. It's nothing I've ever worried about.

I haven't worried about it at all. It was just something I wanted to try-----and did. I dream up and make all kinds of things. Leather work is just one of several hobbies I indulge in.

I got the blade made yesterday and let's say it is time intensive. I think one is enough to satisfy me. It did turn out well I think and certainly cuts well. Sharpening took some time. Event though it is hard it strops well too. In all honesty I prefer ceramic blades over steel ones. It didn't cost one cent in material including the holder I made to hold it while I rough ground and then finished milled the blade except for the very little oxygen and acetylene I used for annealing the chisel stub and then the heating the heating to harden it. It takes almost no time at all to heat something that small to orange heat.

Edited by doubleh