Maker77

Recommendations on Aliexpress Laser

I’ve read through most of the posts on how powerful a laser should be for leather work. Most recommendations seem to point to a 60w co2 laser. Most of the lasers in that range still seem to cost around 2000.00 plus. Yet those ones seemed to be “encased” in a “metal box”. But these (post link below) “open” lasers tend to be much cheaper and have the power of a 60w co2 one. What are your thoughts on these cheaper version “open” lasers? 

https://m.aliexpress.com/item/3256803614466558.html?spm=a2g0n.productlist.0.0.16b3bGu2bGu2ic&browser_id=677aa2dc816248c9b9630bdb01cfda8e&aff_trace_key=&aff_platform=msite&m_page_id=tabqgza6bcwcaa4u182566174c91e472abf41fc423&pdp_npi=2%40dis!USD!!269.0!!!!!%40210318cb16593066731048717e0040!12000027209687297!sea&algo_pvid=06a46b2d-2bbf-4490-8d7a-7ce1335c6fdf

It looks like the link doesn’t work so I’m posting a screenshot

BD353D09-2111-4AFD-A4E5-6402149D8FC9.jpeg

This is not a co2 laser and will not do what a true 60 watt co2 laser can do. I would not recommend this type of laser for leather work. You will be very dissapointed.

There are two main types of laser CO2 and Diode

CO" types do what they say and the wattage shown is normally the true output power of that machine

Diode lasers are cheaper and have many far east manufacturers disguising the power output by just quoting the input power rather than the output power when its the output power than does the work, often the quoted input power is twice the output power  sometimes even less

Do your research on diode lasers

Thanks you two. That makes sense. Plus I was thinking of the fumes and particles going everywhere. Even if you had a blower or suction hose it wouldn’t be encased or powerful enough so it would most likely spread everywhere. 

If your looking to cut and engrave 7 to 8oz veg tan leather you want at least a 60 and better yet an 80 watt co2, but don't go over 80 watts if your going to do a lot of engraving as its harder to dial down the power for good engravings . 60 to 80 watts is good all around.

Bert is right about what is pictured not being a CO2 laser and would have no where near the power. 

I was just gifted a Flying Bear 5.5W diode laser by a friend and it has done great engraving leather so far. I have not attempted to cut yet but I do not believe it would do a great job. But as far as engraving goes, it does a good job. From what I have tested in my friend's shop who has a CO2, diode, and fiber laser, the CO2 laser will give you the "cleanest" engrave. But the diode is still not disappointing to me and works well for me in my shop as I have limited space. 

Laser Work 1.JPG

Laser Work 2.jpg

Laser Work 3.jpg