ArkieNewbie

First Time Carving

18 hours ago, Doc Reaper said:

Dip dying makes a good even color. 
using an airbrush (wear a nuisance mask) gives you the ability to do even color or produce a fade from lighter to darker or Vice versa. 
when using a thinner like alcohol and in rare cases oil, do it in very small quantities. Better to ruin an ounce than to waste four ounces

Thanks for the tips Doc!

7 hours ago, tsunkasapa said:

:17:Using vegetable oil on leather is idiotic!!!

And I said know it all , prove me wrong instead spewing your ignorance. You can show the pictures of the rancid leather.

14 hours ago, Stik said:

Name one reputable maker that uses olive oil or veg oil on their goods.
I'll wait.

14 hours ago, Stik said:

Name one reputable maker that uses olive oil or veg oil on their goods.
I'll wait.

Don Gonzales and Denny Lowe from SLC. Look at any of Dons videos and before Denny started at SLC that's all he used in saddlery. I'll wait while you pull your foot out of your mouth.

1 hour ago, tsunkasapa said:

You SMELL rancid leather moron.

How much would you like to wager on that? Put your money where your mouth is.

Arguing with fools like you is a waste of my time. It's obvious that you don't have a clue. Ignored.

10 minutes ago, Burkhardt said:

Don Gonzales and Denny Lowe from SLC. Look at any of Dons videos and before Denny started at SLC that's all he used in saddlery. I'll wait while you pull your foot out of your mouth.

This is akin to using glue instead of tokonole to burnish your edges because you saw it in a video, or using gum trag and calling it the best because Chuck Dorsett uses it.
BClD3oK.png

your "take a picture of rancid leather" speaks for itself.

Other than going rancid, attracting rodents and being cheap, what benefit does cutting corners get you when you decide to use olive oil? 

20 hours ago, Stik said:

This is akin to using glue instead of tokonole to burnish your edges because you saw it in a video, or using gum trag and calling it the best because Chuck Dorsett uses it.
BClD3oK.png

your "take a picture of rancid leather" speaks for itself.

Other than going rancid, attracting rodents and being cheap, what benefit does cutting corners get you when you decide to use olive oil? 

Really it's jackasses like you in their group think has has never used either and to say it's do to being cheap shows the level of moron you are. Have you ever watched Don he uses olive oil on everything he makes so someone known nation wide would certainly have complaints about his work, right? Please say he's a hack and we'll take a pole and see who's the idiot.

1 hour ago, Burkhardt said:

Really it's jackasses like you in their group think has has never used either and to say it's do to being cheap shows the level of moron you are. Have you ever watched Don he uses olive oil on everything he makes so someone known nation wide would certainly have complaints about his work, right? Please say he's a hack and we'll take a pole and see who's the idiot.

Your response is expected, no reason, cutting corners just to cut corners. Time for me to follow suit and block and move on.

On 9/26/2022 at 9:43 PM, ArkieNewbie said:

Hello Everyone!

This is my first time submitting something here and it just so happens to be my first piece of leather carving I've done. It is a pattern from Jim Linnell. 

Please critique the carving and stamping and let me know what I can do better and how I can do it. Also, I would appreciate some tips on getting even and correct color dying. This dye is supposed to be Fiebling's Light Brown. imageproxy.php?img=&key=671f9b9558b9abff

Flower.jpg

Back on topic; imo you don't always need to have perfectly even dye coverage. If it is all over even it can look like a plastic one out of China, b. you loose the worked design into that overall colour. Yours looks fine because the flower stands out

A bit of work on evening the bevelling around the artwork; make it all much more smoother. A bit of work on the outer edges of the petals. You can get a special beveller tool which under 'cuts' the leaf. Even if you don't have one of those other almost sharp tools can be used to undercut the edge and lift the petal from the back ground. Perhaps some gentle bevelling along the edge of each petal to make it look like each petal over-laps the next one to it and to help each petal stand out more.  That stem, ah, now what to do with it? In this case it might have been better just to not have it. Smooth it and if you have any, use a small rose leaf stamping to each side of it

Undercut beveller B892; https://tandyleather.eu/products/b892-craftool-undercut-beveler-stamp

Small rose stamps; L953 & L954;   http://www.leprevo.co.uk/photos/stamp3.htm ~ very useful to have when doing flowers

As you do more carving and stamping you'll find you end up buying more and more tools into your armoury so you can tackle any design you fancy

15 hours ago, fredk said:

Back on topic; imo you don't always need to have perfectly even dye coverage. If it is all over even it can look like a plastic one out of China, b. you loose the worked design into that overall colour. Yours looks fine because the flower stands out

A bit of work on evening the bevelling around the artwork; make it all much more smoother. A bit of work on the outer edges of the petals. You can get a special beveller tool which under 'cuts' the leaf. Even if you don't have one of those other almost sharp tools can be used to undercut the edge and lift the petal from the back ground. Perhaps some gentle bevelling along the edge of each petal to make it look like each petal over-laps the next one to it and to help each petal stand out more.  That stem, ah, now what to do with it? In this case it might have been better just to not have it. Smooth it and if you have any, use a small rose leaf stamping to each side of it

Undercut beveller B892; https://tandyleather.eu/products/b892-craftool-undercut-beveler-stamp

Small rose stamps; L953 & L954;   http://www.leprevo.co.uk/photos/stamp3.htm ~ very useful to have when doing flowers

As you do more carving and stamping you'll find you end up buying more and more tools into your armoury so you can tackle any design you fancy

Thank you for the tips and advice Fred! Yeah, as soon as I started stamping that steam I was disappointed with it. It does take away from the rest of it. Live and learn right?

No matter what your consequence becomes with oil, your flower looks just great for a first attempt. like with all of us here Practice makes maybe not perfect but better and better attempts. 

23 hours ago, fredk said:

One tool you might consider is a checkered beveller. When used on your flower petals it will give better definition/shading between your petals where they overlap.

But as a first go, well done. Keep at it.

On 9/30/2022 at 7:34 PM, Wild Bill46 said:

No matter what your consequence becomes with oil, your flower looks just great for a first attempt. like with all of us here Practice makes maybe not perfect but better and better attempts. 

Thanks, Bill! In today's "youtube" society it's so easy to watch videos by Denny and Jim Linnell and then expect similar results right away. One thing I have appreciated about Jim is he reminds folks several times per video that it's taken him 50 years to get to where he is. 

On 9/30/2022 at 7:41 PM, tsunkasapa said:

One tool you might consider is a checkered beveller. When used on your flower petals it will give better definition/shading between your petals where they overlap.

But as a first go, well done. Keep at it.

Thank you sir! I appreciate the encouragement.