Drumhack

Noob questions about basic stuff. Is there a different section or protocol?

Posting here unless someone says otherwise.

Does the size of the pricking irons determine strength of the item that's stitched?  I only have a set of 3mm and wondered if I should grab a set of 4mm my next trip to Tandy.  If the smaller stitch spacing does I'm fact make a stronger finished product, and it's not just an appearance thing, then I don't mind the little extra time for a couple extra stitches.  

Thanks for any help.

In the normal course of things it doesn't matter, if you are saddle stitching

On straight run stitching it can make a difference

On some thin leathers I have holes at 2 -3mm rip out and I have to go up to 5 - 6mm

What happens comes with experience

Yeah, it does matter but mainly on thinner leathers and applications where you are subjecting the leather to a heavy load. If you are going to be making small leather goods you're mainly dealing with aesthetics and preference.

There are 2 aspects to consider.  The spacing and the size of the holes.  A pricking iron is designed to mark locations of holes that will be created with a sewing awl.  Awls are shaped and sharpened to create different sizes that are matched to thread size.  The goal is to use the smallest awl that will accommodate the thread size and needles, so that the holes will close around the thread.  Fine bridlework features stitching at 12-14 SPI, which you can't achieve with larger holes created with a punch or chisel.  So the optimal stitch length is a matter of aesthetic, but limited by the size of the holes you create.  With small holes you can do fine stitching that is very strong.