Gezzer

A little personal defense

Frodo's topic got me to thinking . ( DANGEROUS ) is what the wife calls it .   Our daughter works at a library , the employee entrance is out of sight and a little secluded . Now they always close up and leave in pairs ( never just a single person ) but in a bad situation  seconds matter and the buddy might not be able to do much .  God forbid anything ever did happen  being able to make someone turn her loose  might give her the few seconds she needed to get to her car . She has options in the car .

This to the throat or eye of a well grown man will more than likely make him turn loose . Worn around her neck it is just a tool she uses to straighten out bent bindings on books !!   No harm no foul per any regulations . Folks it is a mean ole world we live in , keep your head up and  always be thinking !!   

Yes is just a  slicker but it fits in the hand or fist nicely .

IMG_1831.JPG

IMG_1832.JPG

IMG_1834.JPG

awesome is all i can say! also teach her the solar plexus strike with the blunt end of that and a brachial stun.  We were taught many self defense moves at the prison i worked in, a desk top staple gun opened up makes one dandy sap too.

7 minutes ago, chuck123wapati said:

awesome is all i can say! also teach her the solar plexus strike with the blunt end of that and a brachial stun.  We were taught many self defense moves at the prison i worked in, a desk top staple gun opened up makes one dandy sap too.

Well , somebody would have to teach those moves to me first !!!   LOL!!   I do appreciate that Chuck and she has had the very basic instruction but I don't know if those were taught ?

Just now, Gezzer said:

Well , somebody would have to teach those moves to me first !!!   LOL!!   I do appreciate that Chuck and she has had the very basic instruction but I don't know if those were taught ?

both quite simple the solar plexus is that really soft spot right under your rib cage in the middle of your chest its easy to find just take your thumb and push in there you'll know instantly how it would feel. The brachial stun is on the side at the base of your neck its a group of nerves right at the base of the neck and what all the movie karate chops used to simulate.

I bought all the nurses mace at my docs office and showed them how to use it they wanted gun's, the thing I like about mace you shoot the wrong guy no big deal O shit that was the minister just wanted directions !   it happens wow the very same situation very excided gal boom boom, boom boom boom, went the 9mm and she only hit him once, one of those 9mms went across the street and killed a kid playing baseball!!! not that I'm against gun's I'm not I carry one my self just sayin the slicker in the eye would be best but then O shit that was         ,well you know the story.  I told this story to the nurses they were very happy,  get her the mace then when she go's  from bldg. to car have it in hand ready to go get in the car put it away it easy and that pepper in the eyes is no joke ! the slicker takes a lot of training

@Samalan Yes  mistakes happen , not really talking about her walking out the door and attacking someone  just standing there  . But when a stranger puts his hand on her  it will be go time , I am the exact same way . Up until you produce a weapon or put your hand on me  you are only a concern  ,when either happens you are a threat ......  Pepper spray is good at a little distance but once you are entangled you may get as much as the bad guy . I don't want to be fighting off a bad guy when I can't see .  When BAD comes it comes in a  SPLIT SECOND .

Some people will handle the same situation different , some will freeze , others will surrender and some will fight as though their life depends on it .... often it does .

I appreciate your thoughts but they are not in line with mine . Everyone has to make their own personal decisions and I won't tell anyone theirs is wrong .

It will make a nice non-lethal alternative. You can use it to apply additional pressure to pressure points, or lift at hinge points to effect releases.  It would take some training, which I used to include in a course I offered.  We used Kubatons, which can be found as keychains.  The students could substitute standard or large Sharpie markers, or fat metal ink pens; which no one would question being in a pocket or purse.

Edited by Brokenolmarine
Clarified the post...

Before our ancestors figured out how to knap flint, they made spears out of sharpened sticks that had been hardened in a fire. That looks like a pretty useful weapon you made her, and no one's going to complain about her carrying it!

14 hours ago, Gezzer said:

I appreciate your thoughts but they are not in line with mine . Everyone has to make their own personal decisions and I won't tell anyone theirs is wrong

Sorry my friend I wasn't trying to say you are wrong it's just another option. She comes out of the bldg. starts across the parking lot sees a man about 75 feet away like I told the nurse make a new path to one side if he turns into that path turn back if he then turns back when he is about 10 feet away spray him! don't talk! spray! him if she waits for him to put his hands on her she is in trouble . I'm not trying to make you wrong it's just a good option that could save her life. all this is IMHO. 

29 minutes ago, Samalan said:

Sorry my friend I wasn't trying to say you are wrong it's just another option. She comes out of the bldg. starts across the parking lot sees a man about 75 feet away like I told the nurse make a new path to one side if he turns into that path turn back if he then turns back when he is about 10 feet away spray him! don't talk! spray! him if she waits for him to put his hands on her she is in trouble . I'm not trying to make you wrong it's just a good option that could save her life. all this is IMHO. 

No we are good . All of this is good advice I have given her when she sees a concern at distance , I agree. Distance gives you options , I guess where I failed to communicate is this is a blind door , no camera view , no glass , no peephole , no way of knowing what is on the other side until you open it .  This was my big point of concern , just as they step out of the door .  I should have been clearer .

9 hours ago, Brokenolmarine said:

It will make a nice non-lethal alternative. You can use it to apply additional pressure to pressure points, or lift at hinge points to effect releases.  It would take some training, which I used to include in a course I offered.  We used Kubatons, which can be found as keychains.  The students could substitute standard or large Sharpie markers, or fat metal ink pens; which no one would question being in a pocket or purse.

I  thought about some type of keychain but as you say without proper training  my mind went to something sharp and just target the eyes and or throat .  Thanks

3 hours ago, Sheilajeanne said:

Before our ancestors figured out how to knap flint, they made spears out of sharpened sticks that had been hardened in a fire. That looks like a pretty useful weapon you made her, and no one's going to complain about her carrying it!

Thanks , that is the thing to have it on you if needed  . There are better options I'm sure but this will be better than harsh words or a cry for help in that instant .

Any weapon you choose is not worth the money it cost with out training to teach how, when, of weapon use

that weapon is a fantastic idea as long as she is also enrolled in a self defense class.

Around here, You can get self defense training at the gun range , They teach all aspect of self defense from sticks to simi auto parts 

@Frodo Like i said she has had some training , not real sure but I  think it was pretty basic . I  am pretty sure our local range has classes as well  . Thanks

4 hours ago, Gezzer said:

There are better options I'm sure

One summer, I was working as an outdoor education teacher in a park in downtown Toronto where there had been a number of rapes. One woman had died. When I finished my teaching for the day, I had to walk through the park, alone, on my way to another school where I was studying to get my French as a Second Language teaching certificate. Needless to say, I was not very comfortable doing this.

I had an old WWII gas mask bag that I used as my carryall when teaching. I also had a hunting knife with a wooden handle, and a 6 1/2 inch blade. The handle made it look like maybe it was something other than a knife. It could have passed for a gardening tool. It fitted nicely in a leather sheath, and was mostly hidden inside a pocket in the bag. 

I probably would have been in trouble with the cops if they had ever stopped me, but they never did. It was one of the very few times in my life where I'd felt the need to carry a weapon. 

Edited by Sheilajeanne

@Sheilajeanne Better in trouble with the cops than the possible alternative  ;)  Yes we shouldn't have to carry but the sad truth is we do . It hasn't been many years that  all sorts of meanness was going on somewhere else , big cities  for the most part but now it's right here in small town  USA .  Stay SAFE 

6 hours ago, Gezzer said:

No we are good . All of this is good advice I have given her when she sees a concern at distance , I agree. Distance gives you options , I guess where I failed to communicate is this is a blind door , no camera view , no glass , no peephole , no way of knowing what is on the other side until you open it .  This was my big point of concern , just as they step out of the door .  I should have been clearer .

your right on with this sentiment the utmost first line of defense is being aware, most criminals are very cowardly, meaning if your looking at them or notice them they probably wont make you a target. 30 years working a prison i have seen very well trained officers get taken, why because they weren't aware of who was around them. Watch everyone around you all the time, see what they are doing and why they are there before they get close enough to do you harm. i still do it out of habit having carried a toolbox into cell blocks alone for many years, no one gets behind me without me turning and looking right at them. If someone seems suspicious look directly at them so they know you see them and above all believe the hairs on your neck.

As for the door situation open it but dont go out until you look around and get your eyes focused and be prepared to shut it fast, criminals depend on those doors locking behind an unaware person after they shut then that person has lost thier escape if it feels weird don't go out, shut it.

I'm done now lol. except for this if your standing in a line of ten people anywhere in this country two at least will have felony records some places many more.