Nooj

Couple of belts

These are far from perfect, but I spent enough time on them that any decent craftsman could’ve made a show saddle… I’m worse at this than I remember!  Luckily I have a regular job, or else I’d starve to death, as long as my projects take me for mediocre results.

A black un, and a mahogany un. 

IMG_2188.jpeg

Edited by Northmount
Converted heic file to jpeg and uploaded

Ok… I dunno how to get my stinking iPhone pics down to the proper size. I saved it as a file, then re-saved it as a photo, and it was under the limit, but wouldn’t let me upload. 
So, I uploaded it as a file. I realize nobody wants to download something to just look at it… Anyways, there’sa black belt and a mahogany one. They’re ok, but not great. Thanks for trying to look!

19 hours ago, Nooj said:

Ok… I dunno how to get my stinking iPhone pics down to the proper size. I saved it as a file, then re-saved it as a photo, and it was under the limit, but wouldn’t let me upload. 
So, I uploaded it as a file. I realize nobody wants to download something to just look at it… Anyways, there’s a black belt and a mahogany one. They’re ok, but not great. Thanks for trying to look!

jpegs and heic files are both a type of photo file.

Look at this post for more information on heic files and what you can do.

Look at this link for some helps and tips on resizing photos

Funny, when I visit this post it shows up as a pic now.

Super quality work

48 minutes ago, Nooj said:

Funny, when I visit this post it shows up as a pic now.

Yes, I edited it, converted the heic file and uploaded your photo as a jpeg.

Those belts look great to me!  What types of leather and finish did you use?  I know what you mean about the time involved.  It takes me 20 hrs to make a bridle and I don't feel comfortable charging what I think my time is worth.  I could cut corners (e.g., simplify the design and machine sew) but I'd rather do the job in a way that builds my skills and satisfies my standards.  I have the luxury of treating this as a hobby while gaining more experience and building a reputation.  

looks cool 
good job

On 12/23/2022 at 11:33 PM, Northmount said:

Yes, I edited it, converted the heic file and uploaded your photo as a jpeg.

Thank you, you’re a Saint.

I appreciate the positive complements.

I’m not sure what leather I used… I mean, it’s veg tan, but probably the cheapest stuff Tandy had. I’ve had it for years. 
The dye is Fiebing mahogany, and Fiebing pro oil black. Both had a nice coat of neatsfoot oil, and finished with a couple coats of resolene. 

It’s a 8-9oz front, 5-6oz liner. The mahogany I sewed on a Consew 206rb with some brown 138; the black I did on the Tippmann aerostitch with 277 polyester. 

I did a third one after these, in dark brown. The aerostitch gave me hell with the 346 thread I just picked up at Tandy. I dunno what the deal was, but I ended up cutting it loose and hand saddle stitching with some waxed braided cord. 

This hobby fights me every step of the way! I’m reminded of a quote “Everything happens for a reason. Sometimes the reason is you’re stupid and make bad decisions.” :lol:

Nooj

Edited by Nooj

I will say- the problems with my machines is most likely operator error. I’ve had the aerostitch for a long time, but haven’t used it in over a decade. I pulled it outta storage, hooked it up, and it ran like a champ through the black belt. It’s a tough, simple machine. 
Like most of my hobbies, if I had to do this for a living, I’d starve to death. :bike: But I love piddling in the garage with em. It’s my favorite room of the house. 

Nooj