I trying to figure out which tools are top rated.  I’m looking to invest in quality tools for leatherwork.  Can someone direct me to the best tools for the investment. 

15 hours ago, LeatherShane said:

I trying to figure out which tools are top rated.  I’m looking to invest in quality tools for leatherwork.  Can someone direct me to the best tools for the investment. 

"Leatherwork" covers thousands of products  and thousands of tools of every kind. could you be a bit more specific. sewing machines. stamps, hammers, knives????  No single company makes everything. What do you plan on making, boots, bags, holsters?

Everyone has their own opines mine is vintage/ antique tools overall are better quality than the majority of the modern stuff i have tried. 

Aside from sewing machines, stay away from “Made In China” , keep to the made in USA and vintage as stated. Do not use Etsy (mostly China garbage) get to know the folks on here, chuck123 is like Yoda, Wild Harry, and a few others are awesome.  I have been doing leather for 51 years and still have questions 

19 hours ago, LeatherShane said:

I think it would be easier to answer if you tell us what sort of products you are doing, or plan to do.

I only do small leathergoods, and let's say someone ask "Which pricking/stitching irons are the best?" And I recommend Ksblade european style irons, and you make gun holsters with thick thread, I think those who make gun holsters prefer other irons (No experience from holster making though)

1 hour ago, Doc Reaper said:

Aside from sewing machines, stay away from “Made In China” , keep to the made in USA and vintage as stated. Do not use Etsy (mostly China garbage) get to know the folks on here, chuck123 is like Yoda, Wild Harry, and a few others are awesome.  I have been doing leather for 51 years and still have questions 

Any reason for "keep to made in USA" to support business in your/his country? then it make sense for me. But when it comes to quality then there are good tools produced elsewhere also. (Ps, don't take it as a rude question, just curious)

Edited by Danne

4 hours ago, Doc Reaper said:

I agree with this 15-20  years ago. However for certain products Chinese made product now are excellent (if not better than USA). Take Pricking iron or chisel for truly hadmade products, There are no US made one and you can argue whether an Amy Roke or ZJ is as good as  KS or Sinabroks (Korean) or Crimson Hides (Singapore). I believe Crimson Hides source the raw material from China then finish it inSingapore.   

What do you want to make, what's your budget and how serious are you?  Like Danne said, tools for a holster would be different than for making a watch strap.  

Most people start with vintage or Tandy. Buy what you need, try to innovate where you can. I love places like oaleathersupply, but lets be real. A Wuta tool to try a style and find out if you like it is just fine. Tandy has a range of quality for that same reason. Invest in what you know you need for most leather. Skive blade, prongs, thread, sewing or lacing kit (needles, thread/lace, wax, marking tools to get an even line, groover, awl/different sized flat needles with your choice of tools to help pull and push lace through, tape measure, thimble and or finger cots, edge skiver, sandpaper or more refined sanding tool), burnishing tools and wax, gum, or tokonole; craft or clipper's blade, heat source to finish synthetic stitches (and possibly explore pyrography). Beyond that is specialized. If you want to carve or stamp you need a whole tool set there. If you want to make purses the hardware range is quite extreme. Clocks? Combine with woodworking? Print on leather? Dolls and figurines? Book covers or books? Saddles? Shoes? Moccasins? Vests or other clothing? Belts? Guitar straps? Custom cases? There's one guy that 90 percent of his business seems to be leather covered clips.