Littlef

My first Holster. (1942 Walther P38.)

Here's my first attempt at a holster.  It's for my 1943 Walter P38.  I made the holster off an avenger pattern in Etsy for a Beretta 92 from Mazeleather.  I found the single stack 9mm mag holster on Etsy from Adams Leather works.  I flipped the patterns in photoshop to make them left handed, and I bumped over the stitch line to tighten it up.  I think I might still add another stitch line from the muzzle back to the where the barrel meets the receiver.  It's a little looser than I would prefer, and that appears to be where the slack is.  Also, the stitching looks filthy.  I did a topcoat in Resolene.  When I did that, the leather bled out dye.  I'll have to do some research on how to prevent that.  I also think my stitching is a little sloppy, and I'll have to work on tightening that up.  I attempted to tool in a German Iron Cross (-cause it was geometrically pretty simple.)  I think it's acceptable for a first attempt at tooling leather.  I don't own a stitching pony, but I can see how fast leather gets beat up, just picking it up and setting it down on the bench repeatedly.  A stitching pony of some sort will probably be my next acquisition.  All in all, I'm super happy how it turned out, and I can't wait to wear it out on the steel range.  Let me know what you think.  Let the flames begin!

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0006.jpg

IMG_0010.jpg

IMG_0021.jpg

Very good for the first holster.  It seems that most patterns I get have to be modified just a little, so don't feel bad about moving stitch lines, etc.  White thread is the hardest to keep clean.  Even while storing it on the shelf, I keep it in a ziploc baggie to keep dust/debris from getting on it.  Might even consider stepping down the thickness of the thread a bit.  Also don't forget to burnish those slots.

Make sure to post pics of the next one.  Each one will continue to get better.

9 minutes ago, PastorBob said:

Very good for the first holster.  It seems that most patterns I get have to be modified just a little, so don't feel bad about moving stitch lines, etc.  White thread is the hardest to keep clean.  Even while storing it on the shelf, I keep it in a ziploc baggie to keep dust/debris from getting on it.  Might even consider stepping down the thickness of the thread a bit.  Also don't forget to burnish those slots.

Make sure to post pics of the next one.  Each one will continue to get better.

Thank you sir.  All good tips.  I appreciate it.

Nice work. I do all my patterns for right handed people. If I have a lefty, I just flip them over.

1 hour ago, Hags said:

Nice work. I do all my patterns for right handed people. If I have a lefty, I just flip them over.

Thank you very much!  sounds fairly standard... for almost everything for left handers.

Hey you must be a lefty.

not to shabby for a lefty.

:cheers:

Joel

9 minutes ago, GrampaJoel said:

Hey you must be a lefty.

not to shabby for a lefty.

:cheers:

Joel

Thanks!  lol, yea, I'm absolutely left handed.

7 hours ago, Littlef said:

Thank you very much!  sounds fairly standard... for almost everything for left handers.

I'm a lefty, but shoot right handed, right eye dominant. 

Yeah, white thread gets dirty fast, so I don't use it except for utility pieces.  Usually black or brown on all my work.

I have a beautiful Leatherman sheath gifted to me by my daughter and SIL, built by a pro saddle maker.  White stitching got grungy looking in a matter of days (I use my tools!). 

1 hour ago, Burkhardt said:

What size and kind of thread did you use?

Its tandy's WAXED NYLON THREAD.  the package doesn't even have a size, but its big.  I just bought a spool of t270 bonded nylon, and I'm doing some test stitches with it.

59 minutes ago, TonyV said:

Yeah, white thread gets dirty fast, so I don't use it except for utility pieces.  Usually black or brown on all my work.

I have a beautiful Leatherman sheath gifted to me by my daughter and SIL, built by a pro saddle maker.  White stitching got grungy looking in a matter of days (I use my tools!). 

yes, I can see it was getting dirty as I was working on the holster.  It hasn't even left the work bench.  Its picking up dye.  I didn't cut the fiebings leather dye, I used it full strength.  Next time I'll try to dilute it first.  I think there's just too much dye in the leather. 

1 minute ago, Littlef said:

Its tandy's WAXED NYLON THREAD.  the package doesn't even have a size, but its big.  I just bought a spool of t270 bonded nylon, and I'm doing some test stitches with it.

It looks huge, hope your new thread is the natural color you still get the stand out without the dirty look after 5 minutes of the white.

2 minutes ago, Burkhardt said:

It looks huge, hope your new thread is the natural color you still get the stand out without the dirty look after 5 minutes of the white.

2 minutes ago, Burkhardt said:

Thats a good idea.  Actually what I bought is white.  At least thread is pretty cheap.  I'll pick up some natural  before starting my next project.  Thanks!