Sign in to follow this  
Saltysteele

New to machines- What thread to use?

I just picked up a cowboy 3200.

I would like to buy some thread for it (277), but don't really know what I'm looking for when shopping online. 

As i understand it,  i need thread that is lubricated? Polyester or nylon?  If there a reason to use one over the other.  Is one more suited to certain applications than another? 

I see a lot of thread on Amazon,  but i don't see that it is listed as being lubricated.  I have a Chinese shoe patcher,  but didn't pay any attention to if the thread was lubricated,  just bought nylon 138 thread. 

Anyone have recommendations for suppliers? 

I think you're mistaken about needing a lubricated thread.  And whether you use polyester or nylon really depends on what you're sewing and the intended use.  For what I do, I pretty much stick with poly thread.  And you've be best off buying only name brand threads, which give you much more consistency.  Don't buy cheap thread from China!  Take a look at A&E for example... they've got US and Canadian offices and their threads are excellent.  I tend to use their Sunstop (bonded poly) thread more than anything else.  Also check out the Thread Exchange for options.  But stick with quality thread unless you like having headaches.  :)

1 hour ago, Saltysteele said:

Polyester or nylon?  If there a reason to use one over the other.  Is one more suited to certain applications than another?

It is going to depend on what your trying to sew. Bonded Polyester has better resistance to UV and certain chemicals like bleach then Bonded Nylon does. Bonded Polyester is more flexible but produces more lint then Bonded Nylon. Darker thread colors in either bonded polyester or bonded nylon are stiffer then lighter colors due to the dying process.

1 hour ago, MtlBiker said:

Don't buy cheap thread from China! 

Excellent advice.

Chinese threads are all over the place as far as quality and consistency with the 8 oz spools being the worst. Avoid the frustration spend the extra for a brand name thread like A&E (www.amefird.com) which are made in both USA and Canada.

kgg

For sewing leather, I've been happy with bonded nylon from Leather Machine Co and Toledo Industrial Sewing Machine.  I bought a few spools of thread from a local supplier and the strands were no longer bonded together.  I'm guessing it was too old. 

Ditto the bonded nylon from LMC and toledo. I have been using 277 top and bottom for a long time with no issues on my cobra class 3.

Thank you all for your input! 

I've been learning a lot on the thread exchange's info pages, they're extremely helpful.  I am probably leaning towards lmc, because of the colors they have, but thread exchange looks to have really nice stuff,  as well. 

I appreciate the suggestions!