Sign in to follow this  
Black Dogg

Coasters

I haven't been able to do much in the last couple years (that little thing called "work" got in the way :mad:), but lately I've had some spare time and dusted off my tools.

The first pic shows four coasters I made for the animal shelter's gift shop. Front is regular veg tan, back is bridle. The basketweave shows it's been a while ;).

The Celtic coasters are an order and made from bridle, both front and back. I tried some carving in bridle last month and was surprised how well it cut and stamped.

All leather is from Wickett & Craig, the thread is 1mm Tiger thread.

Next project will be a fancy leash for the shelter's spring auction; stay tuned for pics :)!

Coasters.jpg

Celtic coasters back.jpg

Celtic coasters front.jpg

Nice work! On a side note, Tsunka sapa means Black Dog in Lakota.

Very nice.  I am sure the animal shelter will be pleased to have such nice wares.

15 hours ago, Black Dogg said:

that little thing called "work" got in the way

Yup, I think we can all relate to that:)

Love the coasters, especially the Celtic designs, you're talking my 'language' :specool: 

The animal shelter will love those.

HS

Well, the leash didn't come to pass. I wasn't quite sure how I wanted to do it and didn't have the right hardware for any of my ideas.

However, digging through my stash I came up with an odd belt buckle I had squirreled away for something I don't remember. So I figured I'd make them a nice belt. All Wickett & Craig English bridle, the top is 5/6oz, the lining 3/4oz; sewn with 1mm Tiger thread. The buckle is held on with two Chicago screws, so whoever buys it can put their own on if they don't like this one. Would be a good belt for holding a handgun  :gun: !

Next week we'll take a trip to drop off the goodies and visit with everyone at the shelter.

Shelter belt 1.jpg

Shelter belt 2.jpg

Nothing like creating based on what you have.  Been there many times.  Gotta get some leashes made.  This was my first and only...

DSC_0052.JPG

Very cool idea!  Hope they raise lots of dough to support such a worthy endeavor.  

Coasters are one of the first things I think of when people ask what they can do for practice or what to do with scraps.  Doesn't take much leather to make a coaster and they needn't be round either!  I make square ones for myself and they work just fine!   The glass doesn't know the difference.  :lol: 

But seriously, what a great way to practice carving, stamping, dyeing, or anything else that floats your boat.  And if they don't turn out "just so", who cares, use them to put under bottles when you are dyeing leather or finishing.  Keeps mess at bay.  

Thanks for sharing that with us.