Brokenolmarine

Outgrew my shelf unit, Build Along

It must have been very discouraging having to abandon that workshop! Still, it looks like you're in a nice area and at least the building there has possibilities.:specool:

I waited a lifetime to build a dream shop.  But I walked away without looking back due to the politics.  The new shop isn't as nice but we have 21 acres in the country, and are surrounded by farms and pastures as well.  It's a farm community outside a real ghost town in Oklahoma.  It's quiet.  Exactly what we wanted.  Other than an occasional tornado warning... ;) ... we love it here.  Here is a look down on the north pasture from the top of the hay field.

752509490_viewfromthetopofourhayfieldcomp.thumb.jpg.ce51afa6197cdcbb53afaf3730ef27f1.jpg

When we bought the place that building was dark and dreary and had thirty year old Fluorescents for lighting.  Half the ballasts were dead and the light assemblies weighed about thirty pounds.  The wiring was exposed and just twisted in the open.  The shop was unheated, and uninsulated.  I had a spray insulation done, and double on the root to combat the 100+ degree summer heat in the metal building.  I removed all the lighting and it's wiring and rewired the building and added LED lighting.  I wired all the connections in proper boxes for safety.  Boom... you could see in the shop.

1532166112_startingtolooklikeawoodshop.thumb.jpg.b3e9e67fc9bcf445f9a364711843bd51.jpg

Once I added the mini-split heat/ac I replaced that junk yard screen door with a solid door so the ac could do it's job.  These days the shop stays at 68 degrees.  I'm always working to improve the shop, but I won't build a new building.  Too old and broken to spend that money... LOL.

These days it's a working shop with shelves and areas set up for the various projects.  I even have a table set up for knive shaping.  Adapt and overcome. :yeah:

413589561_newknifeworkingsetup.thumb.jpg.5d091c390408b72227c8565694152a27.jpg

Both the table in the foreground and the area against the wall in the background are mainly used for shaping the scales on knives, but I can also shape cane handles and the like as well.

At three O'clock in this picture you can see the leather bench, but I have since rotated it 180 degrees and moved it away from the wall as you see in the other pics in the thread.

I'd take that as a dream property. Thought mine would stay that way till the lady who said she would never sell the land for housing developments and about 40 houses later, so much for country living.

The house in VA?  Backed up to the State Park, and was across the street from a State Forest.  Never had to worry about development.  The people across from us own about 80 acres.  We have a 60 acre hayfied on one side, and 30 and 40 acre lots on the other.  Our only risk for development is a property just a little up and across from us, but the land isn't suitable to build.  Criss Crossed with creeks, old drill sites, and well heads, and there are several old gas lines running across the ground that would have to be removed.  A gas company easement runs diagonally across the lot.  The owner passed about a year ago and the family owes 100 grand on the three other lots they own, so if they sold the sixty across from us they would have to pay what they owe on the other lots before they could collect a penny.  Doubt they will sell anytime soon.  They leased the property to the neighbor to graze his cows on.