topshelfstuff

New to leatherworking

Hello,  I am completely new to leather work...aside from a leather belt I made at 4H camp when I was 11. LOL

I am obsessed with making leather belt hanger keychains but really know nothing of the process, so it made sense to me to join this community. I plan on sharing my process here, including every bump along the way.

I'm very excited to begin work but I want to have a clear understanding of what it takes to do it right before I start making a mess of things. LOL

I'm glad to be here and look forward to being a contributing member of the Leatherwoker Forums. 

I would suggest getting a basic leather working tool kit, then decide what you want to make and then watch  some videos of people making those things. Maybe decide first then get the tools that you need to make what you want.:yes:

Edited by Bert03241

Welcome.  There are a number of threads here about beginner tool sets.  No need to buy a lot of tools to begin with and you may have some which can be utilized.

What sort of belt hangers are you interested in making?  

Belt Hanger Australia | Duty Belt Locker Leather Hanger ...

Halter Snap Key Hanger - F.D. Leatherworks

Welcome. Lots of possibilities. 

Hello and welcome to the fun!

There is a lot of information and advice on YouTube. Search for -

'beginners leather tools', there are several videos; each one is similar, but slightly different, reflecting the preferences of that particular leather worker, but you will get the general idea

how to make items that interest you, and you will see how other people do things and what they use. But the same sort of methods - saddle stitch, edge finishing etc -  are used to make most leather items, so you can watch videos about belts, wallets, pouches, knife sheaths etc and see those methods & techniques being used

speaking of which, there are videos just on a technique - saddle stitch, edge finishing, skiving, sharpening edge bevelers, and so on

These channels are good, but there are many others - JH Leather, Ian Atkinson aka Leodis Leather, Leathercraft Masterclass, Nigel Armitage, Corter Leather, Geordie Leather has about 15 videos on particular aspects aimed at beginners

There is also a lot of advice on this forum; look through the Getting Started, Tools, and Sewing sections especially, and ask any specific questions

You can start your tool kit at your local art/craft and hardware store. Get a cutting mat, the biggest you can manage, a 12" metal ruler, and you may well already have a Stanley/box cutter/utility knife already ........ make your own sharpening strop from oddments of wood & leather, there are several videos about this ....... green chromium dioxide is as good a stropping compound as any

Edited by zuludog

Thanks Bert03241, Tugadude, Hags and Zuludog for the suggestions and recos. I will do all that! 

Tugadude, I'm looking to make a hanger like the first pic you posted, though that variation in the second pic is very cool. I have one that I've worn for years and love, but the snap button backing is is so small that it would pull through the leather if I ever used the snap. So this got me thinking about what I would change if I were going to make my own, then decided I wanted to make my own. Same style of construction minus the decorative studs.

01.jpeg

02.jpeg

Welcome to the forum.  Keep us posted on your progress.

On 2/27/2023 at 10:13 AM, topshelfstuff said:

Thanks Bert03241, Tugadude, Hags and Zuludog for the suggestions and recos. I will do all that! 

Tugadude, I'm looking to make a hanger like the first pic you posted, though that variation in the second pic is very cool. I have one that I've worn for years and love, but the snap button backing is is so small that it would pull through the leather if I ever used the snap. So this got me thinking about what I would change if I were going to make my own, then decided I wanted to make my own. Same style of construction minus the decorative studs.

01.jpeg

02.jpeg

You story mirrors mine to a a degree.  I wanted something that I couldn't find, a sleeve for an iPad stylus.  Or when I did find one it didn't suit my taste or seemed too expensive for what it was.  And so I made my own, out of leather, and now I no longer use a stylus but never stopped creating with leather.

One thing you might consider when making a replacement for you key fob.  Go ahead and use a rivet, but also use some stitching.  Think belt and suspenders.  Plus, you are going to want to learn the saddle stitch and this is a good way to learn.  There isn't going to be a lot of stitching so you can focus on quality.

Here's a really good instructional video below.  I also recommend checking out Nigel Armitage on YouTube.

On 3/2/2023 at 12:04 AM, Tugadude said:

You story mirrors mine to a a degree.  I wanted something that I couldn't find, a sleeve for an iPad stylus.  Or when I did find one it didn't suit my taste or seemed too expensive for what it was.  And so I made my own, out of leather, and now I no longer use a stylus but never stopped creating with leather.

One thing you might consider when making a replacement for you key fob.  Go ahead and use a rivet, but also use some stitching.  Think belt and suspenders.  Plus, you are going to want to learn the saddle stitch and this is a good way to learn.  There isn't going to be a lot of stitching so you can focus on quality.

Here's a really good instructional video below.  I also recommend checking out Nigel Armitage on YouTube.

Great video.  Thank you for the link. I learnt a lot.

I've never seen "leather belt hanger keychains" before.  What are they used for?

I couldn't find Geordie Leather in youtube that was mentioned by @zuludog but did find Geordies Workshop. Is that the one that you meant? And thanks for the other recommendations @zuludog  They were also very helpful

Edited by AussieTanker

Music to my ears AussieTanker.  All too often folks don't respond to thank those who offer help.  I'm glad you did.  Good luck on your journey!

12 hours ago, AussieTanker said:

I couldn't find Geordie Leather in youtube that was mentioned by @zuludog but did find Geordies Workshop. Is that the one that you meant? And thanks for the other recommendations @zuludog  They were also very helpful

Yes, it looks like Geordie has re named his website, and explains it here, but his earlier leather working videos are still available on YT under the new channel name

Geordie Leather Re-brands to Geordie's Workshop - YouTube