Drumhack

Pricking iron pliers

Hi,

Anyone know a good brand of pricking iron pliers?  I think they would make punching stitching holes in briefcase gussets easier plus allow me to nightowl it in this apartment on weekends.  All I saw on Google was imported junk.

Looking for 4mm diamond point with a 2 prong option then a 4 or 6 point option for speed.

Thanks for any help.

Sorry, I haven't ever used them, but those I have seen used looked very antiquish.  Good luck with your search.

10 hours ago, Drumhack said:

pricking iron pliers

Rather than pricking iron (used for marking stitches or on very thin leathers) you are looking for punches.

Here are a couple links to amazon.com that you can review to see if they fit your needs.  I have a couple pliers that came with a box of leather tools from a pawnshop that look like the carbon steel handles in the second link.  Have never used them!  Machine stitching is my go to.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=4mm+Silent+Leather+Hole+Punch+Stitching+Hand+Pliers&crid=1ABVJZI6P7SY1&sprefix=4mm+silent+leather+hole+punch+stitching+hand+pliers%2Caps%2C139&ref=nb_sb_noss

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=Stitching+Hole+Punch%2C+17cm+Hand-Held+Carbon+Steel+Silent+Pliers&crid=3SOQWBCS7YZ4O&sprefix=stitching+hole+punch%2C+17cm+hand-held+carbon+steel+silent+pliers%2Caps%2C115&ref=nb_sb_noss

2 hours ago, Northmount said:

Rather than pricking iron (used for marking stitches or on very thin leathers) you are looking for punches.

Here are a couple links to amazon.com that you can review to see if they fit your needs.  I have a couple pliers that came with a box of leather tools from a pawnshop that look like the carbon steel handles in the second link.  Have never used them!  Machine stitching is my go to.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=4mm+Silent+Leather+Hole+Punch+Stitching+Hand+Pliers&crid=1ABVJZI6P7SY1&sprefix=4mm+silent+leather+hole+punch+stitching+hand+pliers%2Caps%2C139&ref=nb_sb_noss

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=Stitching+Hole+Punch%2C+17cm+Hand-Held+Carbon+Steel+Silent+Pliers&crid=3SOQWBCS7YZ4O&sprefix=stitching+hole+punch%2C+17cm+hand-held+carbon+steel+silent+pliers%2Caps%2C115&ref=nb_sb_noss

Thanks for replies.  Yeah, I use a metal thing that looks like a fork that I pound holes clean through the leather and never use an awl.  I call those pricking irons and am most likely calling them the wrong thing.  Lol. It's hard to use those when assembling a messenger bag etc with briefcase gussets.

With all this said, maybe these type pliers aren't really a thing in leather working and I just need to learn the right way to get holes in those tricky gussets.  I ran an awl into my hand, thumb, etc few times trying to keep the leather from separating while pushing the awl through etc so googled for some different options and saw the pliers.  Couldn't find them on Barry King or any other "name" leather tooling supplier and had found the same Chinese pliers you had linked.  I also may just buy some decent quality tools and weld up my own punch-pliers and see if they work.  Lol.   Thanks though for taking the time to try to help.  :)  

While I don't use those sort of pliers, rest assured they are indeed a thing and there are several here on the forum who swear by them.

I'm sure Fred or somebody will respond shortly.  I do know that Goods Japan offers some of those pliers and they are said to be of good quality.

Also, as far as terminology for the irons, here's a sticky topic that I instigated which hopes to give some clarity to an often misunderstood topic.

22 hours ago, Drumhack said:

I ran an awl into my hand, thumb, etc few times trying to keep the leather from separating while pushing the awl through etc so googled for some different options and saw the pliers. 

Not really an answer to your query, but FWIW when I'm working with some "tricky" material like that instead of pushing the awl into my hand I use a wine or Champaign cork to push against,  Tends to leave much less blood on my project.

/dwight

I use these;

Stitching pliers, 01s.JPG

2 teeth and 4 teeth. Stuck with 2mm teeth and 2mm spacing

I have another set with larger teeth but they are only for lacing

These certainly speed up making sewing holes, and of course no noise.

I've also used them on busses and trains on long journeys