Littlef

Holster #2 - for a CZ52.

Here's my 2nd attempt at a holster.  I used Will Ghormley's Hand of God pattern for a 1911.  I made a welt to account for the tapered slide of the CZ52.  I made a toe cap, and I embedded a neodymium magnet into to add to the retention (I got that idea from road agent on youtube.)  .  I turned a 1948 Czech coin into a concho.  It was tough getting the welt lined up.  Next time time, I'll leave it proud and sand it to fit, instead of just trying to make it fit perfect on the first shot.  Its not perfect, but I really happy with it, being a pretty complicated design for my 2nd holster.  Let me know what you think.  Let the flames begin.

IMG_9156 Intro.jpg

IMG_9220.jpg

IMG_9232 concho Czech IMG_9236.jpg

IMG_9234.jpg

IMG_9235.jpg

IMG_9239.jpg

IMG_9247.jpg

IMG_9248.jpg

IMG_9250.jpg

IMG_9251.jpg

IMG_9255.jpg

IMG_9256.jpg

IMG_9257.jpg

I think it turned out really good.  I like the use of the coin for a concho.  Very nicely done.  A few minor mistrikes, but only another leatherworker is likely to even notice. :thumbsup:

1 minute ago, Brokenolmarine said:

I think it turned out really good.  I like the use of the coin for a concho.  Very nicely done.  A few minor mistrikes, but only another leatherworker is likely to even notice. :thumbsup:

thank you sir.  I plan on using the same pattern to make one for my 1911, so this is kinda the trial run.  Slowly building the skills.

Overall, I like it.  Specially for a 2nd timer ;)

Watch yer stitchin' (and groove), and maybe polish that edge a bit.  Pull the stitches with consistent depth / uniformity will make a huge (bigger than ya might think) difference in the finished look.  Burnish the bottom before assembly (between the holes used for the bottom needle which, by the way, is the same way I sometimes hold stuff together temporarily).

In other news... what's the 123 block fer ;) 

1 hour ago, JLSleather said:

Overall, I like it.  Specially for a 2nd timer ;)

Watch yer stitchin' (and groove), and maybe polish that edge a bit.  Pull the stitches with consistent depth / uniformity will make a huge (bigger than ya might think) difference in the finished look.  Burnish the bottom before assembly (between the holes used for the bottom needle which, by the way, is the same way I sometimes hold stuff together temporarily).

In other news... what's the 123 block fer ;) 

Thanks!!  All good thoughts.  I definitely struggle to get grooves cut at a consistent depth, and there were a couple places where the guide arm came away from the edge.   The Stitching was a challenge, especially through the welt and toe plug.  I really had to fight to get that welt stitched.  There were curse words a flying, but it was a good learning experience.  I tried to drill holes in the welt first, and I was then fighting to make everything to line up.  I wasn't fully utilizing the stitching awl in the beginning.  Next time instead of fighting the leather and needle to make the holes line up, I'll just punch through the welt with the stitching awl to fine tune the hole.   That's interesting you say I should burnish the bottom before assembly.  I've certainly never done that, but I'll give it a try next time.   --regarding the 123 block, I was using it as a squared edge to bump against the leather/welt and gauge when it was flush.

if you were going for rugged but beautiful you hit it dead on! That's a gorgeous looking western type holster imo. i never understood the huge welt some folks do however not that it matters.

1 minute ago, chuck123wapati said:

if you were going for rugged but beautiful you hit it dead on! That's a gorgeous looking western type holster imo. i never understood the huge welt some folks do however not that it matters.

Thank you very much sir!  I don't think I was intending for rugged, but that's how it turned out.  I'm still refining processes.  I made the welt because I was having trouble with slop in the holster.  The pattern was for a 1911.  The CZ52 is very similar in size, but the slide significantly tapers towards the muzzle.  I couldn't figure out how to fix that, so I made the welt.  With the welt, it fits very securely.   

Just now, Littlef said:

Thank you very much sir!  I don't think I was intending for rugged, but that's how it turned out.  I'm still refining processes.  I made the welt because I was having trouble with slop in the holster.  The pattern was for a 1911.  The CZ52 is very similar in size, but the slide significantly tapers towards the muzzle.  I couldn't figure out how to fix that, so I made the welt.  With the welt, it fits very securely.   

Well you did a great job of it!! rugged isn't a bad thing at all quite a few folks like that look, I'm one of them lol. i could see that on any given day out here in my lil slice of the world. i would be proud as punch at that.

My only critic if you want to call it that, Burnishing and edge coat of some type  may be a thought for your next one, leave enough edge you can sand it out smooth and even, i use a cheap old belt sander for finishing the edges. sand just like wood but be careful of burning. 

I like it just as is. Every one strives for perfection but  I like Chuck like a rugged rustic look. Well done looks great .:yes:

1 minute ago, chuck123wapati said:

Well you did a great job of it!! rugged isn't a bad thing at all quite a few folks like that look, I'm one of them lol. i could see that on any given day out here in my lil slice of the world. i would be proud as punch at that.

My only critic if you want to call it that, Burnishing and edge coat of some type  may be a thought for your next one, leave enough edge you can sand it out smooth and even, i use a cheap old belt sander for finishing the edges. sand just like wood but be careful of burning. 

Yea I agree. I sanded and burnished as best I could.  Next time I plan to give me more room on my stitch lines.  I was sanding down, and ran out of room.  I still might go back and apply a edge coat to clean it up a bit  

2 minutes ago, Bert03241 said:

I like it just as is. Every one strives for perfection but  I like Chuck like a rugged rustic look. Well done looks great .:yes:

Thank you very much!!

31 minutes ago, Littlef said:

Yea I agree. I sanded and burnished as best I could.  Next time I plan to give me more room on my stitch lines.  I was sanding down, and ran out of room.  I still might go back and apply a edge coat to clean it up a bit  

you know what's funny about that edge finishing business, i usually have to show my customers that i did that extra work because they just never notice the edges, after i show them though it impresses the heck out them and that's what brings them back for more!

12 minutes ago, chuck123wapati said:

you know what's funny about that edge finishing business, i usually have to show my customers that i did that extra work because they just never notice the edges, after i show them though it impresses the heck out them and that's what brings them back for more!

I agree, the magic in any craftsmanship is the quality and detail of the finish work that really brings a project together.  

For only a second made holster I think it is nice. 
the blow-up/close-up photos show lots of things that need refining. It definitely doesn’t look shiny and new. It needs better edge work. That coin is gonna catch on everything. I can verify that from personal experience. A refinement of the toe plug stitching, and yada, yada, yada.

BUT,  it looks pretty cool in a rustic sort of way.  Kind of like a well  loved and used holster. And it looks good and sturdy.

Pretty cool !!

Joel

31 minutes ago, GrampaJoel said:

For only a second made holster I think it is nice. 
the blow-up/close-up photos show lots of things that need refining. It definitely doesn’t look shiny and new. It needs better edge work. That coin is gonna catch on everything. I can verify that from personal experience. A refinement of the toe plug stitching, and yada, yada, yada.

BUT,  it looks pretty cool in a rustic sort of way.  Kind of like a well  loved and used holster. And it looks good and sturdy.

Pretty cool !!

Joel

Good call on all.  I forgot to burnish the strap before I riveted it to the back of the holster.  Now that its in position, its tough to get a good burnish.  That welt was such a struggle to get stitched, its been pushed and pulled and bent so much that the surface is just mush.  I tried to sand it down, but I'm getting down to the stitch line, so...it is what is.    This was my first attempt at a toe plug.  I should have bumped the stitch line back on the holster to get a deeper angle into the toe plug.  The thread is really shallow in the toe plug, but its also contact cemented into place.  Its not going anywhere.  I could see how the coin could catch on stuff, but I'm only wearing this at the range, so I'm not really worried about that.   - I can see how it would catch on stuff getting in and out of a vehicle or through doorways, etc.  It'll do its primary job, which is to allow me to carry it on the steel section at my range.  And I also plan to use this same pattern on my 1911.  I have a '43 Ithaca 1911A1 that I'm going to make this pattern holster for.  I want that holster to be nice, so this is my trial run science experiment.    I always like to take Macro Photos of anything I work on.  The holster looks decent from across the room, but the imperfections can't hide from a macro lens.  Keeps me honest.

I never close up the bottom, I’m a marine that understands water retention and I do not want it near my weapons, open equals drained out! 
closed means it stays full of water. And as always FJB! FJB! FJB! FJB! FJB! 

3 minutes ago, Doc Reaper said:

I never close up the bottom, I’m a marine that understands water retention and I do not want it near my weapons, open equals drained out! 
closed means it stays full of water. And as always FJB! FJB! FJB! FJB! FJB! 

I can certainly see that, and I had the same thought the first time I saw a toe plug.  I'm not carrying this hunting, and I'm not working a ranch.  I'll work it into the rotation on the steel range a handful of times in a year.  If its pouring rain, I'm skipping range day.  The rest of its cushy life will be spent in a comfy climate controlled closet. 

10 hours ago, Littlef said:

I tried to drill holes in the welt first, and I was then fighting to make everything to line up.

TIP:  Gitcha a machine needle... like a size 25 er 26 diamond point.  Put it in yer drill press, and "poke" the holes with that, through all layers - easy if ya got a 123 block er sumthin to make the holed perpendicler ;)

But agin.... the way ya got it "pinned" there is something I use m'self timeta time. :thumbsup:

1 minute ago, JLSleather said:

TIP:  Gitcha a machine needle... like a size 25 er 26 diamond point.  Put it in yer drill press, and "poke" the holes with that, through all layers - easy if ya got a 123 block er sumthin to make the holed perpendicler ;)

But agin.... the way ya got it "pinned" there is something I use m'self timeta time. :thumbsup:

yea, that's a really good idea I'll get one.  Thanks!