sbcwylie

Claes 8436-30 recently acquired

Found this for an incredible CAD$800, came with 4 spare shuttles. Seems to be in good condition, looking forward to playing around with it. The only thing I see that is missing is one of the little thumb tabs to rotate the foot.

Maintenance-wise, I think it just needs a good oiling. 

Shoepatcher, any hot tips?

resizedIMG_9075.jpg

Nice find!

The best one made!  Shows signs of a lot of paint wear.  20 or 30 model?  .  I rebuild them so it would repaint the balance wheel.    You have manuals?   I have the mechanics manual for the machine.  Is it head only or did it come with a stand?   First one I have seen made by Textima in an off white color. Normally it was a silver grey hammer tone color.  Nice grab!!!    You have needles and bobbins?  Need more pics of the machine from different angles.    If you contact Landis in Quebec, they are the Claes dealers.  Should have the other butterfly wing you are missing.

glenn

Edited by shoepatcher
grammar

This is a -30, with the large bobbins. Came with a handful of bobbins and four spare bobbin shuttles (wowsers, CAD$435 each on the Landis site). I've got the manual, a most current version was just emailed from Claes last night, I was asking about their above-the-table machine-mounted servo motor option (but it is EUR 1100, and 220VAC). I have a stand, a clutch motor with a speed reducer wheel on it. A couple of packs of needles. I think the colour actually is the grey hammertone, the lighting was just weird in that pic. I have several more pics, They were just too big to post, will add more later. I could use the mechanics manual, if you can spare a digital copy.

I made an online album, it's a little easier to share pics that way.

Claes 8346-30

12 hours ago, sbcwylie said:

I made an online album, it's a little easier to share pics that way.

Be kind to your fellow users here.  Post your photos here.  3rd party photos tend to go missing due to 3rd party changing policies, owner changing location or deleting files, etc.  There are many tools available to resize photos.  Check this link.  Lots more tools on the web.

When these 3rd party links are broken, much of the post or thread becomes useless to others that come along later and try to make sense of the thread.  You will see a number of threads where the photos have gone!

Your machine was made in 1986 according to the model plate.  Nice find.  I would do some touch up painting  on it.  Just me.  Look clean.  Absolute steal of a deal.  Get the other butterfly wing.  You will not regret it.

glenn

Edited by shoepatcher

Good point, re: links going stale. Never thought of that. I can only post 1.46MB pics, which aren't big, will post as I can for the curious.

10 hours ago, sbcwylie said:

I can only post 1.46MB pics, which aren't big,

800x600 or 1024x768 are adequate.  A lot of users are on tablets or phones, don't even see that large a view.  Can post lots of photos if you squeeze them to near these dimensions.  Also good for people in the fringes of the internet that have very low download speeds.

23 hours ago, sbcwylie said:

Good point, re: links going stale. Never thought of that. I can only post 1.46MB pics, which aren't big, will post as I can for the curious.

Are you posting from a computer? If so, what is the operating system?

If you're posting from a phone, what make and model?

I can post links to photo reducers for various operating systems. But, if your phone or camera has resolution settings, use smaller dimensions, like 3x4 or 1:1. This greatly reduces the file size.

11 hours ago, Wizcrafts said:

Are you posting from a computer? If so, what is the operating system?

If you're posting from a phone, what make and model?

I can post links to photo reducers for various operating systems. But, if your phone or camera has resolution settings, use smaller dimensions, like 3x4 or 1:1. This greatly reduces the file size.

no problems resizing, I'm just on big monitor with high pixel count. Just need to gear down a little.

Can we get pics of the stand?

glenn

more pics

Sweet!

17 hours ago, sbcwylie said:

more pics

Ok, got that figured.

IMG_9081 - Copy.JPG

IMG_9075 - Copy.JPG

IMG_9077 - Copy.JPG

IMG_9076 - Copy.JPG

IMG_9078 - Copy.JPG

IMG_9079 - Copy.JPG

IMG_9080 - Copy.JPG

IMG_9082 - Copy.JPG

On 3/9/2023 at 8:36 AM, shoepatcher said:

Can we get pics of the stand?

glenn

the stand isn't stock, it's a home-made add-on in pretty rough shape. Steel square tubing painted black, the top looks like it was cut out of a spare peice of countertop. I am going to re-power with servo and bypass all the existing under the table components. That's the plan, anyway.

3 hours ago, sbcwylie said:

the stand isn't stock, it's a home-made add-on in pretty rough shape. Steel square tubing painted black, the top looks like it was cut out of a spare peice of countertop. I am going to re-power with servo and bypass all the existing under the table components. That's the plan, anyway.

IMG_9158.JPG

IMG_9157.JPG

IMG_9155.JPG

IMG_9156.JPG

IMG_9159.JPG

IMG_9153.JPG

IMG_9160.JPG

IMG_9161.JPG

IMG_9154.JPG

Nice job on the pics. Thanks for the effort.

Why 5 complete thread stands and guides? It only sews 1 at a time.

Looks like you're going to have fun with it.

40 minutes ago, AlZilla said:

Why 5 complete thread stands and guides? It only sews 1 at a time

I have two patchers at this point in time Since these machines are often used to sew embroidered patches onto vests and jackets, and border colors vary, it is common practice to have multiple colors of thread ready to go on the machine's thread stand. My practice is to cut off the existing thread color about 8 inches from the thread stand, then pull the new color up, tie the ends together and pull them through the machine. I cut off above the knot, then thread the needle and sew the next patch with its matching color thread on top. Most of my stands have 4 spool holders. One has 5 and I frequently have to swap out spools to get a best color match. There are various shades of colors used on patches.

Replace the clutch motor with a one piece servo.  Machine will run better.  I would also put a new top on the table.  You got a great deal.  Make the changes and you will have an even better set up and machine.

glenn

So I have feelers out to replace the missing twist grip (P/N 120.06) - and I see there is also a little pin missing on the one that is installed, I assume to stop the twist grip from rotating around the one screw holding it in - is it just a pin, or is the second hole for each twister threaded? The parts diagram I see on Claes site seems to show it as one piece.

There is also some weirdness with the bobbin winder - the "spool jack" (according to google translate of "spulerklinke", but it's P/N 150.11) was installed backwards, but when I flipped it so the metal tongue would be across the bobbin when loaded, it seemed to not be right, the spool jack did't seem to lock into place onto the bobbin. The previous owner also installed a non-stock orange bobbin tire which might not be the right size. Will test when I get the thread I have ordered.

Can anyone provide a close-up pic of the bobbin winder set-up? The pics on the Claes website instructions page is in B&W and hard to see details.

Thanks!