SeaCitadel

Searching for a natural, stiff material

Someone has requested from me a leather accordion-style file folder.  The part I'm pondering most over is material for the internal dividers.  I don't want to use leather just from a practical standpoint.  The request is for 12 folder slots, and all that leather I feel will weigh too much and/or be too cumbersome.  Ideally I'd like a natural material, i.e. not plastic.  I'm thinking canvas, but wondering if it will end up being too floppy.  Cardboard is also off the table because it will just end up tearing at the seams.

Any ideas for a natural material that is relatively thin but has a degree of stiffness?

I would use glazed pig skin. Two layers with a piece of thin compressed card inbetween

My only experience with pigskin is with gloves. The are very soft and comfortable but wear out quickly. I would think the softness would be a problem using it for dividers.

Just a thought but canvas coated with clear epoxy might work ?  The epoxy might be too far from natural  for your needs .

2 hours ago, SeaCitadel said:

Interesting.  Thanks for the suggestion.  I'll have to investigate pigskin as I've never worked with it before. 

2 hours ago, doubleh said:

My only experience with pigskin is with gloves. The are very soft and comfortable but wear out quickly. I would think the softness would be a problem using it for dividers.

GLAZED Pigskin

Tandy has it. Its very thin and very stiff on its own. But for a bag section separator I think two layers might be better

https://www.tandyleather.world/products/glazed-pig-lining?variant=32543852003463

After a visit to my leather supplier, I ended up choosing some 0.5 mm chrome tanned cow.  They had pigskin, but the surface was a bit too rough.  I might update when the project is complete, but I'm a slow worker and this project is being somewhat made up as I go along.  Thanks for all the input.

14 hours ago, Gezzer said:

Just a thought but canvas coated with clear epoxy might work ?  The epoxy might be too far from natural  for your needs .

Some time ago I have read about canvas painted with linseed oil for making lightweight shields and/or armour in ancient somewhere - that might be an avenue to investigate for all-natural dividers if the cow doesn't work. 

On 4/12/2023 at 10:26 AM, fredk said:

GLAZED Pigskin

Tandy has it. Its very thin and very stiff on its own. But for a bag section separator I think two layers might be better

https://www.tandyleather.world/products/glazed-pig-lining?variant=32543852003463

I ordered their glazed pigskin lining. It has a really bad smell. 

On 4/12/2023 at 10:45 PM, Klara said:

Some time ago I have read about canvas painted with linseed oil for making lightweight shields and/or armour in ancient somewhere - that might be an avenue to investigate for all-natural dividers if the cow doesn't work. 

I think that you are describing the linothorax of ancient Greece: layers of linen bonded together to make armor. 

Perfectly possible, as I said I don't remember where and when in antiquity it was. But Ancient Greece is always a good possibility.

Old 19th century wallets and such had accordion sections, and the dividers were commonly stiffened fabric with edges bound in very thin leather.
Try looking for "buckram" in fabric stores. It comes in different weights.

On 4/11/2023 at 6:49 PM, SeaCitadel said:

Someone has requested from me a leather accordion-style file folder.  The part I'm pondering most over is material for the internal dividers.  I don't want to use leather just from a practical standpoint.  The request is for 12 folder slots, and all that leather I feel will weigh too much and/or be too cumbersome.  Ideally I'd like a natural material, i.e. not plastic.  I'm thinking canvas, but wondering if it will end up being too floppy.  Cardboard is also off the table because it will just end up tearing at the seams.

Any ideas for a natural material that is relatively thin but has a degree of stiffness?

Perhaps something like a thin piece of rawhide sewn in between very thin leather or canvas sections could provide the rigidity you are looking for.