Ali2

Poly Stripe ???????

Hello,

My name is Al  I am a newby to this site and I am in the very  early stages of learning leather craft, all advise will be appreciated. I am planning on making a simple card wallet and the pattern that I chose I got off Youtube (link 

and as can be seen from the video and the PDF pattern he refers to "Poly Stripe" as part of the bits needed for this wallet. I have tried to find an alternative name for this fabric but having no success. Can anyone help with an alternative name. Thanks for your help.

Regards 

Al.

1 hour ago, Ali2 said:

Hello,

My name is Al  I am a newby to this site and I am in the very  early stages of learning leather craft, all advise will be appreciated. I am planning on making a simple card wallet and the pattern that I chose I got off Youtube (link 

and as can be seen from the video and the PDF pattern he refers to "Poly Stripe" as part of the bits needed for this wallet. I have tried to find an alternative name for this fabric but having no success. Can anyone help with an alternative name. Thanks for your help.

Regards 

Al.

whats it used for in the wallet? maybe we can figure it out that way or suggest a substitute.

Hi,

It is used inside the wallet it is the black part which looks like it may be a piece of plastic with fabric on it. I assume that is very thin and the reason it is used I think is to stop the wallet/folder becoming bulky. Maybe.

I don't know.  I thought maybe that was a RFID shield.  Just a wild guess.  Or maybe a poly strip?

Edited by jrdunn

After watching more of the video, I'm leaning more toward a coated fabric.

I don't put plastic in any of my leather goods, its not needed and i have no idea why you would want it. It will break down much sooner than your leather.  

I didn't watch the video and have no idea why its even used so i cant help much.

Good luck with your project:)

At the 5 min mark he's using the "poly stripe" as an extention for the card pockets. Just extend the leather instead of creating a glued failure point. 

It is just some plastic fabric to reduce the bulk of the wallet. Maker's Leather Supply uses, and sells, Tyvek for this purpose.

"Poly Stripe" is just a piece of polyester material with a stripe.  It is thin material.  You could use that, nylon, Tyvek or silk or any other material.  It's used on the T-pockets to keep the wallet thin.  You could just eliminate the material and make the T-pockets out of leather.  

Skive the "T" pockets from where the taper begins and then on towards the bottom.  Thin them as much as desired to reduce bulk.  Some choose to just skive the edges as shown below.  That helps, but to me it would be better to thin the entire portion that is covered by the overlapping pieces. 

T-pocket-illustration-1024x428.jpg

Hello, Thanks to you all for your help and suggestions. 

Regards,

Al.

46 minutes ago, Ali2 said:

Hello, Thanks to you all for your help and suggestions. 

Regards,

Al.

If you watch the video on YouTube you can view the comments below the video where the maker describes the material as a nylon fabric with a thickness of  0.2mm.  Some here have used satin ribbon and they say it works great for their purposes.  If you don't want to thin the leather and you want to try the technique as shown in the video just find something thin and strong which can be glued to the leather.  Tyvek, which is a spunbonded polyolefin fabric is a good option as recommended above.  Save the "indestructable" envelopes you get in the mail and you can use it for free.