SeaCitadel

Thinning barge contact cement

What are your opinions on barge cement consistency?  Do you have a ratio of cement to thinner?

When mine begins to get too thick to brush on comfortably (like thick honey), I add barge thinner by eye and mix, but sometimes it gets goopy.

What would you compare your preferred consistency to?  Honey, syrup, motor oil?

A thin honey or cold syrup.

I use barge, straight out of the can.  I have not attempted to ever thin it, and I havn't had a problem.   I also store it inside, so its always 66-72 degrees-ish.  I could see it getting real thick, if it was stored at lowers temps.  Mine is honey consistency.

I thin mine to about a honey consistency as well. Basically I just try to get it back to what it was like when I first opened it. When it's fresh I use it as is. After my glue pot starts to thicken I just thin it by eye.

On 4/25/2023 at 11:51 PM, SeaCitadel said:

I add barge thinner by eye and mix, but sometimes it gets goopy.

Like you, I thin my adhesive using toluene , to around honey consistency,  with a bit of guess work  :) Its too expensive to keep throwing out the gluggy bits at the bottom.

HS

I used xylene (because I had it handy) and it worked fine. I use Sika contact cement, it's already fairly thin to start with and dries quickly.