gareth643

Should I wet leather to make it easier to work with?

Hi All,

I have just recently got into leather work and have been making some leather dog collars, the leather I'm using is 3.5-4mm old English bridle butt leather. I was wondering if I should wet the leather to make it easier to bend when I'm stitching the buckle or will this make the leather weaker? 

Wetting the leather is unnecessary and could lead to stretching. it won't make it weaker.  4mm leather is not very thick and shouldn't present any issues in workability.

1 minute ago, Tugadude said:

Wetting the leather is unnecessary and could lead to stretching. it won't make it weaker.  4mm leather is not very thick and shouldn't present any issues in workability.

:17:

I'm going to have to go against the grain here . . . that leather is 1/4 of an inch thick . . . which in my opinion is not thin leather.

Bending it over to go into a buckle while it is dry can cause the front to crack . . . and then you are in deep doo doo . . . might as well toss the collar if the front face of the leather cracks in the bend where the buckle goes.

For all my belts and stuff like that . . . I do not bend it until I dye it . . . it is really wet then and will bend without any possibility of cracking.

Just my way of doing things that prevents problems down the road . . . and 1/4 inch leather on a dog collar will not stretch enough to make any kind of difference . . . so just pass up any worry about it stretching.

May God bless,

Dwight

Dwight,

4mm/25.4mm/inch =0.1574 inches thick..  less than 3/16"