I mentioned this in the ' Tools' thread, but I've had my eye on some blacksmith bellows at an antique/ rustic shop .  I couldn't see too much as where they are placed, its hard to see the full bellows, tucked away . . 

But, what I can see just from the outside , they are in poor condition, the wood needs restoration( perhaps replacing,   some parts at least)  , the  metal nozzle/ components  (?)   are missing   and  the wood where it attaches needs restoration . I think the leather   at the front is there, but that would need replacing anyway  . Theres  wood  dowel type attachments at the sides    for operation / for  a lever  from above (?)  The  main leather is obviously damaged and needs replacing.  The approx size, it would sit on a coffee table . The attached pic is just a sample pic, not the actual bellows . Most of the rounded  nails are (mostly)  there.

I appreciate markets are different, and the value/ beauty  in the buyers eyes vary,  and  if , this is a BIG 'if ' I decide to part with $$$ , what would you pay?  Taking into account how much $$ & time  I would need to spend on restoration.   It would be a long term restoration with no intention of selling. 

For me, it will be a great learning curve , learn how they are constructed, and the preservation of history.  Old stuff / history needs to be saved IMO. 

The vendor is asking $429.00au. He gives 10% for items over  $100.00 , that brings it down to $386.00 .

Thoughts? 

Thanks in advance :yes:

HS

Blacksmith Bellows Pic 3.jpg

Edited by Handstitched

Not worth any more than £10, and that's just so you can pull it apart and use the bits as patterns for constructing a new one. Not even RE-constructing 'cos it sounds like there isn't anything TO RE-build

ALL the leather would need replacing, almost all the wood needs replacing, the metal parts are missing so they need fabricating. Its not even a 'Triggers Broom'

Best place for this bellows is in a non-working historical display in a museum somewhere

that seems awful steep of a price. Blacksmith bellows probably have had a rough life to begin with not to mention few were probably saved in any shape, But as antiques go on the market i couldn't estimate the actual worth of one as a collectable. If its been hanging there for any length of time i would ask about it, give it a real good going over like your an expert, take notes and such lol then give a fair offer for it. Once all the damage has been pointed out they may drop their price.

As for rebuilding one now that would be a fun project to jump on. From what little i have read most of the metal parts can be hand made so no real problem replacing those.

Sounds like the old axe restoration, ending up with a new head and new handle.:lol:

He's obviously priced it as a display piece, aimed at someone who has no idea but thinks it looks cool. As has been pointed out you will likely end up replacing almost all of it in order to get it working. If you want a working bellows I reckon it would be a great project to build your own from scratch. Probably be cheaper too.

I would not even think of spending that kind of money for those bellows.  Now a professional set . . . like I saw a few years back . . . they were something near 5 ft . . . maybe more . . . in diameter . . . and were a good foot thick in the air pocket.  But this was in an operating . . . historical . .  . blacksmith shop

Those look more like a part time use . . . like a farrier may take with him on the road or something.  

Offer him 50 bucks . . . and when he says no . . . ask him how long it has been since he had another offer.  Reminding him that better moving items could be using his real estate . .  .  may get him to move.

May God bless,

Dwight

I think I will be following your advice, and let these ones pass :(  As @fredk mentioned, I would have to  make  or get  a metal fabricator remake the metal components, I would also need to find someone that is really good with a wood lathe for the wood component at the front. I've taken onto account that I can't see the other side of the bellows , so I can guess its no better than what I can see.  

Its a bit disappointing  , but I'll be patient. Its one of those ' bucket list ' items thats been on my ' to do ' list for a while. Another set will come up no doubt .  Preferably like the ones in the sample pic, and similar condition...and complete. 

15 hours ago, chuck123wapati said:

Once all the damage has been pointed out they may drop their price.

I think the vendor is not the type to reduce prices, going by all the signage in his shop... so, those bellows will stay there forever more :yes:   But I will go back there again, as he has got heaps of other stuff thats not over priced, and I do know the value of. 

Thank you all for your responses and your help :thumbsup:

HS

7 hours ago, dikman said:

Sounds like the old axe restoration, ending up with a new head and new handle.:lol:

Thats what we call a 'Triggers Broom'. From this comedy show, Trigger is the road sweeper with the medal,

Fred,

You reminded me of the best Brit comedy....   'Benny Hill'.......  busted a gut more than once laughing at his sketches/skits.  Some classics..

@MikeRock, for you

9 hours ago, fredk said:

for you

Now you've done it. Theres a 45 single  of that in our ye olde collection of vinyl , theres also a full album of Benny Hill in our collection too  somewhere  .

" Whats the definition of a Hebrew?  A male tea bag  '"   BH 

What this has to with bellows? I have no idea 

HS 

Benny Hill was a great comic of his time. 

We all laughed at his jokes and antics

We bellowed with laughter

and in this he wore Lederhosen

probatur quod quaeritur