panchoskywalker

Weekender bag Green Canvas & leather

Hello, I wanted to share this weekender bag I just finished. I already made one like 5 years ago and I decided to do another one as I had this beautiful green canvas I did not know what to do with. I hope you like it. Everything was stitch by hand, except the lining.

Sorry for the background on the picture, my model was on holiday so I had to improvise.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

Wow

I like this a lot. Strap handles like that are on the short list of things I want to learn.

Excellent job! Well done.

A classic. Very nice work. Do you trim the edge of the round handles after sewing?  How do you get that close to the edge? 

Now I see that it is hand sewn. Lots of work!

Edited by TomE

17 minutes ago, TomE said:

A classic. Very nice work. Do you trim the edge of the round handles after sewing?  How do you get that close to the edge? 

Now I see that it is hand sewn. Lots of work!

Thank you.

I did not trim the edge of the handles. I did a test first with small piece of leather. The rope is 1cm diameter, the leather was 5cm wide and I did the holes before putting everything together like in this video.

24 minutes ago, dikman said:

Great job! That is a lot of hand-stitching!!

Thank you. I had to make a break a few times because of the pain on my fingers.

2 hours ago, panchoskywalker said:

Thank you.

I did not trim the edge of the handles. I did a test first with small piece of leather. The rope is 1cm diameter, the leather was 5cm wide and I did the holes before putting everything together like in this video.

Thanks.  Fun to see this method.  I make rolled throatlatches for horse halters.  I posted a description of the method in the Saddles and Tack Accessories forum.

That is some really nice work. I have a backpack project in mind using my old Marine Corps seabag and leather . I hope mine turns out half as nice as yours.

image.png.dd4621c0c001ec19e420dacb0140bf88.png

This would look so much better as a bleed knot..
like this..
image.png.81471c72b66ab1ce99656f263664dc3d.png

it is incredibly easy to do.

Edited by Heartless

6 hours ago, Heartless said:

image.png.dd4621c0c001ec19e420dacb0140bf88.png

This would look so much better as a bleed knot..
like this..
image.png.81471c72b66ab1ce99656f263664dc3d.png

it is incredibly easy to do.

Do you think it is possible on a zipper handle so small? Any tutorial available?

19 hours ago, panchoskywalker said:

Do you think it is possible on a zipper handle so small? Any tutorial available?

you could always use a small jump ring to attach it if the hole on the zipper pull is really small. I have some small split rings that are about 10mms across (roughly 3/8") that work really well for small things (bought on Amazon, but check local craft stores, too)

there are lots of tutorials on youtube, this one is pretty clear..  use the same leather you used on the bag, but you probably want to thin it down some to make it easier to work with in a small size. the key to this knot is keeping the cuts perfectly centered, not too big, and close in.
one added note, I would not really go any narrower than 1/4 inch for the strip - and maybe do a practice piece slightly larger before going small