ArkieNewbie

Laser Engraved Leather Patch Hats

I've been making these hats and selling them at our local farmers market and folks have loved them! Some of y'all may not appreciate the laser engraving, and that's ok. It gives me the ability to do designs and detail I wouldn't be able to achieve otherwise. Hope y'all like them!

AR.jpg

Deer Skull 2.JPG

Deer Skull.jpg

Duck.jpg

EGA.jpg

Garcia.jpg

Huffman Ear Tag.jpg

Jett Brothers.jpg

Pollard.JPG

Sanders.jpg

Edited by ArkieNewbie

nothing wrong with laser engraved imho.. those look great and if the customers are happy, that is all that matters

Looks good to me . . . 

Sewing the patch on the hat looks like a trick though . . . 

May God bless,

Dwight

Look dang good to me !  Mallard is my favorite though with cow tag a close second .

I'm doing a little laser engraving and have gotten an unusual result. AFTER engraving, I applied some Fiebings medium tan and around the engraving there was a noticeably darker area. I would post a pic but I tossed the sample.

Would this be due to engraving first then dyeing?

I noticed your cow tag looks good so I assume you applied the finish before lasering? Also, do you hand stitch or use a machine to attach to the hats?

Thanks- your work looks great!

2 hours ago, KYCat said:

I'm doing a little laser engraving and have gotten an unusual result. AFTER engraving, I applied some Fiebings medium tan and around the engraving there was a noticeably darker area. I would post a pic but I tossed the sample.

Would this be due to engraving first then dyeing?

I noticed your cow tag looks good so I assume you applied the finish before lasering? Also, do you hand stitch or use a machine to attach to the hats?

Thanks- your work looks great!

Yes probably so. The heat from the laser will slightly darken the leather around it. If you lower your power or increase speed it might lessen it. 

You're correct. I dyed and then lasered. I always make sure my dye is good and dry, cause you know how alcohol likes to catch on fire. Then after engraving I clean its up with a wet sponge to remove soot, let it dry and on that particular patch I use Leather Balm with Atom Wax. 

Right now I am hand stitching them on. Takes about 10-15 minutes depending on the hat, whether structured or unstructured. BUT, and that's a BIG but, I have a brand new Cobra Class 26 being delivered this week! It's going to be a GAME CHANGER!!

So I guess in short, I apply color first, and then top coat after its done. 

Thanks! I appreciate it! Keep adjusting your settings and you'll get the results you're looking for. 

21 hours ago, Gezzer said:

Look dang good to me !  Mallard is my favorite though with cow tag a close second .

Thanks!! I really like the ear tag and that mallard is by FAR my favorite design! SO much detail in it. 

22 hours ago, Dwight said:

Looks good to me . . . 

Sewing the patch on the hat looks like a trick though . . . 

May God bless,

Dwight

Thanks, Dwight!

Yeah, stitching them on can get tricky!

Edited by ArkieNewbie

3 hours ago, ArkieNewbie said:

Yes probably so. The heat from the laser will slightly darken the leather around it. If you lower your power or increase speed it might lessen it. 

You're correct. I dyed and then lasered. I always make sure my dye is good and dry, cause you know how alcohol likes to catch on fire. Then after engraving I clean its up with a wet sponge to remove soot, let it dry and on that particular patch I use Leather Balm with Atom Wax. 

Right now I am hand stitching them on. Takes about 10-15 minutes depending on the hat, whether structured or unstructured. BUT, and that's a BIG but, I have a brand new Cobra Class 26 being delivered this week! It's going to be a GAME CHANGER!!

So I guess in short, I apply color first, and then top coat after its done. 

Thanks! I appreciate it! Keep adjusting your settings and you'll get the results you're looking for. 

Awesome- thanks for the quick reply. I'll give it a try and see what I can come up with- I've used a soft toothbrush under running water to clean post-burn and have been really pleased. Got some smearing using a wet sponge/cloth.

Congrats on the Cobra!! Enjoy that beast! 

17 hours ago, Deanr said:

Nice hats

What type and power laser are you using?

I have 3, all three are diode lasers. I have a 30W, 24W, and a 5.5W. 

The 5.5W will not cut well but the other two are like a hot knife through butter!

18 hours ago, KYCat said:

Awesome- thanks for the quick reply. I'll give it a try and see what I can come up with- I've used a soft toothbrush under running water to clean post-burn and have been really pleased. Got some smearing using a wet sponge/cloth.

Congrats on the Cobra!! Enjoy that beast! 

I've had the smearing too. Especially on oil tan patches. If that happens I just follow up with some saddle soap. Cleans it right up. 

masking will make a huge difference in the afterburn  and very little clean up if any.

1 hour ago, Bert03241 said:

masking will make a huge difference in the afterburn  and very little clean up if any.

Are you saying cover the area with masking tape???

May God bless,

Dwight

41 minutes ago, Dwight said:

Are you saying cover the area with masking tape???

May God bless,

Dwight

they have masking for leather laser engraving . https://www.jpplus.com/paper-masking-for-laser-engraving?sku=LASGLASS-RL&gclid=CjwKCAjwyqWkBhBMEiwAp2yUFl8C-m5maK7vB28ItOYHTHuE8oFPygbYEku18pAWWlNt5BfUYe5HThoCsTwQAvD_BwE

But I usually put 2 coats of sheen or resoleane on before engraving , then  99% of the residue wipes off with a damp rag

20 hours ago, Bert03241 said:

they have masking for leather laser engraving . https://www.jpplus.com/paper-masking-for-laser-engraving?sku=LASGLASS-RL&gclid=CjwKCAjwyqWkBhBMEiwAp2yUFl8C-m5maK7vB28ItOYHTHuE8oFPygbYEku18pAWWlNt5BfUYe5HThoCsTwQAvD_BwE

But I usually put 2 coats of sheen or resoleane on before engraving , then  99% of the residue wipes off with a damp rag

I'm going to have to look into that!!

Engraved these last night. Did this on my Atomstack A30 Pro. That thing is a beast!

IMG_7473.jpg

IMG_7471.jpg

On 6/14/2023 at 2:10 PM, Bert03241 said:

I haven't tried the resolene but did try blue painters tape as a mask and it was a PAIN to weed off the more detailed areas. Won't be doing that again!!

yes if theres a lot of small detailed areas weeding is a pain, thats why I prefer a couple coats of sheen or resoleane or 50-50 mop& glo just wipe off with a damp rag