Hello all, a long time ago, before I owned one, I saw a video of someone converting their Tippmann Boss from hand crank to a foot powered option due to his disabilities. Anyone happen to see it or maybe have a link? Or even photos of conversion possibilities? I have an old singer treadle base and have an idea but would like to see what someone else may have come up with. Thanks in advance. 

Contact Tippmann. I saw a video several years ago where they used a cam and arm to power one. I think they were just playing around in the shop trying it but they probably have advice 

If I was going to attempt it . . . I would do a simple hydraulic cylinder to pull the lever down . . . and a spring to return it back to the top.

Actually it would be an "air over oil" cylinder . . .  the foot pedal would control the air supply . . . that forcing the oil into the hydraulic cylinder . . .  

Using an air cylinder by itself might work in most situations . . . the problem is air collects against pressure and when it overcomes the pressure . . . the speed is unpredictable.  You get rid of that by using air over oil.

Best wishes on the project.

May God bless,

Dwight

1 hour ago, bruce johnson said:

Contact Tippmann. I saw a video several years ago where they used a cam and arm to power one. I think they were just playing around in the shop trying it but they probably have advice 

Will do, thanks. 

1 hour ago, Dwight said:

If I was going to attempt it . . . I would do a simple hydraulic cylinder to pull the lever down . . . and a spring to return it back to the top.

Actually it would be an "air over oil" cylinder . . .  the foot pedal would control the air supply . . . that forcing the oil into the hydraulic cylinder . . .  

Using an air cylinder by itself might work in most situations . . . the problem is air collects against pressure and when it overcomes the pressure . . . the speed is unpredictable.  You get rid of that by using air over oil.

May God bless,

Dwight

I’m thinking more of manual like old treadle type machines. I have an idea of removing the operating handle and pressure foot handle and installing a “bar” with linkage down to the old singer base foot pedal. I’ll have to see if there is enough travel in pedal to move the “bar” up and down enough. 
thanks and may God bless you as well!! 

I’d vote for a mechanical linkage to a simple foot peddle - like a clutch pedal in a pickup.

With air cylinders or small hydraulics, the small amount of stickiness in the cylinders eliminate the nice feel the stitch should have.

There are some very nice cables that would be smooth, but it shouldn’t be too much work to rig a pedal with some pivots up to the machine.   3/8” heim joints and various length fine threaded rods or internally threaded tubes are readily available for the links from places like Summit Racing or even eBay.

4 hours ago, DonInReno said:

I’d vote for a mechanical linkage to a simple foot peddle - like a clutch pedal in a pickup.

With air cylinders or small hydraulics, the small amount of stickiness in the cylinders eliminate the nice feel the stitch should have.

There are some very nice cables that would be smooth, but it shouldn’t be too much work to rig a pedal with some pivots up to the machine.   3/8” heim joints and various length fine threaded rods or internally threaded tubes are readily available for the links from places like Summit Racing or even eBay.

Cool thanks! I don’t want to overcomplicate it and take away the simplicity of my entire set up for sure! But I am thinking of my aging shoulders!!! LOL! 

11 hours ago, Hymat said:

But I am thinking of my aging shoulders!!!

As with all of us as we get older things get more difficult. It does sound like a interesting project and if you can figure out a system I would be interested in seeing the setup. A cable system may work on thinner materials but on thicker / tougher items is where getting enough power transferred from a foot operated setup I think will be a problem. You maybe able to be overcomed that with using a weighted wheel in a treadle setup but then you will have to contend with overrun momentum of the wheel. Why not sell the Boss and move into something like a CB3200 type machine and save the shoulder?

kgg

1 hour ago, kgg said:

As with all of us as we get older things get more difficult. It does sound like a interesting project and if you can figure out a system I would be interested in seeing the setup. A cable system may work on thinner materials but on thicker / tougher items is where getting enough power transferred from a foot operated setup I think will be a problem. You maybe able to be overcomed that with using a weighted wheel in a treadle setup but then you will have to contend with overrun momentum of the wheel. Why not sell the Boss and move into something like a CB3200 type machine and save the shoulder?

kgg

I would love to have cobra 3,4,26 any of them. But I’m just a hobbyist knife and sheath maker with occasional tote and wallets here and there. So I really can’t justify the price. Have always loved the Boss even before me working with leather myself. IDK nostalgia reasons I guess!

I don't see why you shouldn't be able to cobble something together. I'm with Don, a mechanical lever-operated linkage is the way to go, simple (hopefully) and should give maximum power transfer. Cable can sometimes have a bit of "give" when heavy force is applied.

a foot pedal tied to the handle to pull it down, a spring mounted above the handle to pull it back up, very simple. or if you want to get fancy a concentric cam mounted on the handle shaft you could then put your spring below it by the pedal.  push the pedal down it pulls the lever down take you foot off the spring pulls it back up.

1 minute ago, chuck123wapati said:

a foot pedal tied to the handle to pull it down, a spring mounted above the handle to pull it back up, very simple. or if you want to get fancy a concentric cam mounted on the handle shaft you could then put your spring below it by the pedal.  push the pedal down it pulls the lever down take you foot off the spring pulls it back up.

a round gear would even work like a bicycle chain and gear

After operating a Boss for 20+ years . . . I can tell you that the pedal and circle . . . or pedal and spring will be a total waste of time.  

The handle pulls down well over 90 degrees from top to bottom . . . and it is a full 15 to 16 inch stroke that it has to travel 

True . . . one can shorten the handle . . . but that lever length was put there for a reason . . . that being having a "tough" sewing project . . . where the leverage is needed.

A singer sewing machine treadle will not produce the required strength . . . having only about 4 inches of bottom pedal to use . . . unless the Boss is used for sewing thin and easy to sew stuff.

The required air over oil hydraulic system is only about 125 bucks off of Ebay . . . if anyone is interested . . . shoot me a PM . . . I'll get you some kind of drawing and list of materials.

May God bless,

Dwight

On 6/13/2023 at 12:59 PM, Dwight said:

May God bless,

Dwight

I’m thinking more of manual like old treadle type machines. I have an idea of removing the operating handle and pressure foot handle and installing a “bar” with linkage down to the old singer base foot pedal. I’ll have to see if there is enough travel in pedal to move the “bar” up and down enough. 
thanks and may God bless you as well!! 

Thanks for all the input! If I’m able to make something work I’ll post it for sure.