Good morning all,

I am sure this has been discussed before, but a search did not bring back many results.

Was curious if others have issues with oil dye drying out the leather after use. I say drying out, but maybe it is just hardening as veg tan does, but seems to really have to be oiled or conditioned a lot after the oil dye dries, to prevent cracking when bending to shape. I have oiled and conditioned some oil dyed leather, then stitched up and the leather seems dry and stiff again the next day. I hate stitching then dirtying up the stitches with more conditioner or oil afterward....Rory.

I use neatsfoot oil after dying and while it’s still ‘wetish’ I will train the the leather a bit by bending into the shape it will eventually live. Most of my work are holsters so once it’s completely done and stitched, I want it to be stiff.  This approach works for me and keeps the leather from cracking. 

Edited by BigBore

I'm with BigBore . . . except I oil before I dye mine.  Works best  . . .  especially for some reason with saddle tan.  

My leather will come out after oiling and dying . . . just the way I wanted it . . . because generally I bend the buckle end of all belts  . . .   my holsters were all put thru a vacuum bag to generally form them in the first place . . .  then oiled . . . then dyed.

No cracking . . . 

May God bless,

Dwight

Try adding some NFO into your dye. Not too much, just a wee taste of

Fiebings Pro Dye (formerly Oil Dye) has less tendency to dry the leather compared to Fiebings Leather Dye.  I think both dyes contain an alcohol based solvent, which is why I avoid dip dyeing projects.  A light coating of neatsfoot oil after dyeing seems to correct the problem.  I also apply conditioner as a final step.

What I do is cut my patterns out for whatever I'm making and apply a light to moderate amount of neatsfoot oil with a piece of sponge prior to any stamping, carving or dyeing and let it set overnight.

the next day it's ready to go. I know that's a lot of drawn out time, sometimes I'll do it in the morning and it looks ready hours later. I just wait until it looks like it did before I oiled it before I do anything to it. this seems to work good for me.