Dave45

Holster Attachment

I am a somewhat new leather worker but I’d like to make a holster similar to the one in the photo. My question is how is the holster most likely attached to the belt backer? Sewn, riveted, tee nuts or a combination of those? None of the holsters like the one in the photo showed the back of the holster.

Thanks

IMG_2971.jpeg

My guess would be tee nuts sandwiched between the outer layer and liner. I just pulled apart an old Hunter western holster and that is how the pouch was held to the skirt.

1 hour ago, dikman said:

My guess would be tee nuts sandwiched between the outer layer and liner. I just pulled apart an old Hunter western holster and that is how the pouch was held to the skirt.

Thank you. I guess I will have to give it a try and see how it works.

2 hours ago, Dave45 said:

I am a somewhat new leather worker but I’d like to make a holster similar to the one in the photo. My question is how is the holster most likely attached to the belt backer? Sewn, riveted, tee nuts or a combination of those? None of the holsters like the one in the photo showed the back of the holster.

Thanks

IMG_2971.jpeg

It's a whole lot easier to make a flat backed pancake . . . you can get almost the same look . . . especially the tooling.

OR . . . you make the holster . . . the back of it will be sewn to the belt loop piece . . . then folded over and the side seam sewn .

It is some tricky sewing . . .  and I really don't think this one was done that way . . . but the T nuts and screws will ALWAYS allow the holster to flop . . . and if you are not up to a floppy holster . . . (I'm one who can't stand it) . . . then ya gotta sew the thing.

May God bless,

Dwight

I wouldn't use nuts if its not lined. sew it on.

There might be a clip holding it in place

My turn; the holster is partly sewn to the back piece, just about where it will be folded over, then after the holster is folded over and shaped it is sewn to the back piece at the same time it is sewn closed

Is there a prize for the best guess?

Glued and sewn

A tip for you

apply glue to both pieces

allow to dry

apply a second coat

Then sew

5 hours ago, fredk said:

Is there a prize for the best guess?

A 2 slice toaster with a crumb pan 

With three pieces of leather that thing has more stitches than Frankenstein's Bu** lol, that took some work. my self i would sew it on the same as any belt loop on that type of holster along the top and along the bottom or maybe even a rectangle  about 1 3/4" wide x whatever length of the back piece don't let the shape throw you.

Thank all of you for your help. After my initial post I got the opportunity to see the Ghormley Hugger holster pattern from his 1911 pattern pack. It is sewn to the backer then the holster is folded and sewn closed. This may or may not be the way the one in the photo was done but I think it will work for me.