Sign in to follow this  
spurdude101

larger heavy hardware

I'm looking for larger 1 1/4 to 2 '' heavy halter snaps, D rings, roller buckles for heavy harness work.     forget Buckle guy, ohio travel bag, tandy, Weaver . It seems when it comes to quality hardware there is none. I find most buckles , snaps and such to be junk. anyone have a source for quality?

I like Batz Corp heavy brass hardware. I download their catalog to see their products - never figured out their online search function. I buy stamped stainless bridle buckles from Weaver.  Aaron Martin might be another source but I haven’t ordered from them. 

Edited by TomE

Aaron Martin is the only vendor I can find that has what I want . Specifically a bridle snap that will accommodate an 1 3/4" strap. But they are in Canada and American credit cards won't work on their site. It's unbelievable to me this item cannot be located. even Ebay didn't have anything. It seems no matter what web site one goes to it's all the same cheap hardware. I did locate some quality at Springfield Leather but even they only have these snaps to 1 inch. thanks for the lead.

Well I've been to Canada where I found it but shipping is $20.00 for a $6.00 item. Nothing in England or China and certainly nothing larger than 1" in this country. Honestly how did we get here? 11/4" Harness spring snap and a simple flat oblong brass 3/4" buckle. Anyone?

thumbnail.jpg

thumbnai1l.jpg

@spurdude101

I know nothing about this company , never bought a thing from them . I found them on-line ...... UMX in California  . May be junk but they do carry the  large sizes . At first they look to be suppliers of manufactures but their web site reads like they sell small quantities also .  Hope this helps but I don't know that it will .

http://www.lanyardfactory.com/hooks/schematic/big-wide-push-latch-bolt-snaps-hm-G727.htm

On 7/8/2023 at 9:38 PM, spurdude101 said:

Aaron Martin is the only vendor I can find that has what I want . Specifically a bridle snap that will accommodate an 1 3/4" strap. But they are in Canada and American credit cards won't work on their site. It's unbelievable to me this item cannot be located. even Ebay didn't have anything. It seems no matter what web site one goes to it's all the same cheap hardware. I did locate some quality at Springfield Leather but even they only have these snaps to 1 inch. thanks for the lead.

In "Making Harness" by Martin and Preston they list several suppliers of harness hardware:  Aaron Martin, Beiler's Manufacturing and Supply, Chupp Blacksmith Shop, Harness Hardware Inc, Hillside Harness, and Weaver Leather Supply.  Some of these are Amish businesses with no website and you'll have to search for a phone number.  There is some info in the ShopTalk Magazine suppliers index https://shoptalk-magazine.com/suppliers/ 

The spring snap you posted looks like a number 200, but the buckle isn't anything I can find.  Montana Leather has the snaps, and the only center bar buckles that they show are a number 121 or a 150 (roller bar).  I use them for leather and they are responsive to questions.  I recommend them.

@spurdude101 Pethardware in Czeckia has got some, but I don't know about the quality, and it is not in the US.

Laederiet in Denmark has got some good buckles and stuff: https://lederiet.com/shop/97-for-harness/ I haven't been able to find wide bull snaps though. Also that shop is in Denmark, so the shipping is probably expensive.

Another idea would be Argentina.
I am pretty lousy at speaking Spanish, but I managed to find this shop: https://arandu.com.ar/producto/60202b-guarnicion-tiro-de-uno-con-pechera-y-herrajes-de-bronce-factura-fina/

I had a friend who lived in Argentina, and since their economy has been bad for the last many years, he told me that they still produce as much as possible locally. And they have a long tradition for using horses, but my language skills are not nearly good enough to do some searching for individual hardware in Spanish. 

Maybe there's a local blacksmith who could make something for you, but again I'm afraid that the price will be prohibitive. 
I need some heavy elongated D-rings for a stallion halter project, and I haven't been able to find those that I need, so I'm planning on making them myself. 

Halter snaps you could get a regular 1" wide model of brass / bronze and then I'd silver solder a new wider eye to it. 

Good luck, brgds Jonas