whistlingrits

51w55 singer help!

Hello,

I just recently acquired a 51w55 post bed singer sewing machine. I should preface this with the fact that I know minimal, at best, about sewing machines, I just know how to sew and I would like to learn more about machines to advance my skills.

sooo this machine only uses 128x4 sewing needles which upon my research, are obsolete and are only leather needles (please let me know if I am wholly misinformed). The thing is I don't primarily sew leather and would like the capacity to sew canvas, webbing, hats, etc. I am wondering if there is an equivalent needle that would work on this machine or if there is a way to modify it to accommodate different needles. 

Thank you kindly for helping me out! 

Please post pictures of your machine. Assuming you have the 2nd (later) model of the Singer 51w.

This may be helpful for you:

I once converted the needle bar at an early 51w model. May be interesting for you as well  - or maybe not :lol:

Edited by Constabulary

Hi.. sorry my reply might be a bit late now.. but I converted my 51 54 with a cheap needle bar for a consew 226.. so now happily uses the same commonly available needles as my consew.. it fit with no modification required. 

On 10/11/2023 at 5:41 AM, eddo said:

Hi.. sorry my reply might be a bit late now.. but I converted my 51 54 with a cheap needle bar for a consew 226.. so now happily uses the same commonly available needles as my consew.. it fit with no modification required. 

Do you have the part # you ordered?  Can you please share it?  Thanks in advance.

1 hour ago, erpooler said:

Do you have the part # you ordered?  Can you please share it?  Thanks in advance.

It is 240498