Something I just discovered, I'm rebuilding a fishing rod and came across this stuff, it comes in two tubs and is a paste (hence the name :rolleyes2:). My last lot of no-brand epoxy in tubes didn't make it past opening, one of the tubes had gelled and was useless, so I decided to buy this as I like the idea of the paste. Just thought some may find it interesting (and yes, I've used JBWeld and Devcon but this looks to be pretty good value).

https://proproducts.us/portfolio-product/propaste-adhesive/

Do let us know how it works for you

Something like that might be useful for water proofing the insides of leather mugs and bottles

I had my favorite coffee mug in the shop . . . a board knocked it off into the tractor . . . and into pieces.

Good ol epoxy saved the day because it was just a few pieces broken . . . not fully shattered.

We laugh and call it my "integrated" cup . . . but the integration has proved to be good.

May God bless,

Dwight

coffee cup.jpg

12 hours ago, dikman said:

Something I just discovered, I'm rebuilding a fishing rod and came across this stuff, it comes in two tubs and is a paste (hence the name :rolleyes2:). My last lot of no-brand epoxy in tubes didn't make it past opening, one of the tubes had gelled and was useless, so I decided to buy this as I like the idea of the paste. Just thought some may find it interesting (and yes, I've used JBWeld and Devcon but this looks to be pretty good value).

https://proproducts.us/portfolio-product/propaste-adhesive/

nice looking stuff i have a couple old split bamboo rods i would like to fix up. would this work for them? 

Not sure, it may be a bit stiff (as in rigid when cured) for that type of gluing? I have an old split cane rod that was my father's and I wouldn't mind refurbishing it, guess I'll have to trawl through some youtube vids to find out how to do it.

1 hour ago, dikman said:

Not sure, it may be a bit stiff (as in rigid when cured) . . . 

That sounds perfect for insides of leather mugs and bottles.

I went by my local fishing tackle place on Monday to see if they stocked this. Guess what - just over last weekend they've changed their opening days & hours. Now closed on Mondays   :(

How dare they change their hours without telling you first!:lol:

Chuck, I did a bit of research on gluing split cane rods and it seems people have used everything , from white glue, epoxy, UHU, to Gorilla glue.:rolleyes2: One flyrod maker used this ProPaste (I could see the tubs on the bench) to glue the grips on and used an epoxy to glue the canes together so I'm assuming he probably used the same stuff. The consensus appears to be that slow-curing epoxy is better as it retains some flexibilty whereas rapid-cure dries brittle. I also didn't realise just how much work there is in building split-cane rods!

8 hours ago, dikman said:

How dare they change their hours without telling you first!:lol:

Chuck, I did a bit of research on gluing split cane rods and it seems people have used everything , from white glue, epoxy, UHU, to Gorilla glue.:rolleyes2: One flyrod maker used this ProPaste (I could see the tubs on the bench) to glue the grips on and used an epoxy to glue the canes together so I'm assuming he probably used the same stuff. The consensus appears to be that slow-curing epoxy is better as it retains some flexibilty whereas rapid-cure dries brittle. I also didn't realise just how much work there is in building split-cane rods!

oh yea the old ones are still highly sought after here in the states a well built split cane rod is so nice to cast. Most folks dont think about the time it would take to split and match each section of the rod.  I was thinking about an epoxy product used in making bows    https://binghamprojects.com/store/smooth-epoxy-glue/ it is heat activated 150 -180 degrees which  shouldn't be to hot,  i would think. A lot of folks have a bucket list. My bucket is all about learning new things, making both a recurve bow and fishing rod are on it.

I've watched a lot of vids on bow-making and reckon it would be a good challenge but the problem here in Oz is getting suitable wood, believe it or not the commonly used woods in bowmaking aren't readily available here.

As for that epoxy, it looks like it could be good stuff for cane rods, being flexible and durable, the biggest issue would be making a suitable temperature controlled "oven" for the curing.

19 minutes ago, dikman said:

I've watched a lot of vids on bow-making and reckon it would be a good challenge but the problem here in Oz is getting suitable wood, believe it or not the commonly used woods in bowmaking aren't readily available here.

As for that epoxy, it looks like it could be good stuff for cane rods, being flexible and durable, the biggest issue would be making a suitable temperature controlled "oven" for the curing.

they make the bow oven using regular incandescent light bulbs in a basic wooden box with a very simple thermostat setup but the problem here is getting incandescent bulbs lol.

17 minutes ago, chuck123wapati said:

they make the bow oven using regular incandescent light bulbs in a basic wooden box with a very simple thermostat setup but the problem here is getting incandescent bulbs lol.

Look on Amazon/ebay for infrared heaters elements with lightbulb bases.  They're a good substitute for incandescent bulbs and more efficient to boot.  Something like:  https://www.amazon.com/Wuhostam-Infrared-Ceramic-Reptile-Aquarium/dp/B07MXD4SMW/ref=sr_1_3_sspa?crid=1YT1EHT305WLK&keywords=heat+element+bulb+base&qid=1689683294&sprefix=heat+element+bulb+base%2Caps%2C102&sr=8-3-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&psc=1

- Bill

6 minutes ago, billybopp said:

Look on Amazon/ebay for infrared heaters elements with lightbulb bases.  They're a good substitute for incandescent bulbs and more efficient to boot.  Something like:  https://www.amazon.com/Wuhostam-Infrared-Ceramic-Reptile-Aquarium/dp/B07MXD4SMW/ref=sr_1_3_sspa?crid=1YT1EHT305WLK&keywords=heat+element+bulb+base&qid=1689683294&sprefix=heat+element+bulb+base%2Caps%2C102&sr=8-3-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&psc=1

- Bill

awesome!! thank you.

Also check out farming supplies. You might get heat-bulbs cheaper from them. Folk who raise birds; chickens, hens, pheasants, quail and the like use heat-bulbs over the eggs to keep them warm before they hatch

It's great that you found a new product for rebuilding your fishing rod. The paste-like epoxy you discovered sounds like a convenient option, especially if you prefer working with that consistency. Dealing with gelled epoxy tubes can be frustrating, so finding a reliable alternative is always beneficial. JBWeld and Devcon are well-known brands, but exploring other options can be a good way to discover new and cost-effective solutions. It's always exciting to come across products that suit your preferences and offer good value. Enjoy rebuilding your fishing rod with the new epoxy paste!