Sign in to follow this  
SpruceMoose

Looking for: High Quality Copper Rivet and Burr Setter.

I am wondering if anyone has experience lets say the standard osbourne, and the nice 3 piece setters from buckle guy.   I'm looking to upgrade and would like a nice quality setter. Are they all the same pretty much or is there a notable difference in the way they dome the shaft and cap.

Thanks!

Edited by SpruceMoose

7 minutes ago, SpruceMoose said:

I am wondering if anyone has experience lets say the standard osbourne, and the nice 3 piece setters from buckle guy.   I'm looking to upgrade and would like a nice quality setter. Are they all the same pretty much or is there a notable difference in the way they dome the shaft and cap.

Thanks!

https://www.weaverleathersupply.com/products/heritage-rivet-burr-setters they all do the same thing so there isn't much dif just how much you want to pay to show off some shiny . its just a half round drilled in a piece of metal no matter how cool the rest of the tool looks.  i usually just peen them with a small hammer, i like the old timey look of a copper rivet..

12 minutes ago, chuck123wapati said:

https://www.weaverleathersupply.com/products/heritage-rivet-burr-setters they all do the same thing so there isn't much dif just how much you want to pay to show off some shiny . its just a half round drilled in a piece of metal no matter how cool the rest of the tool looks.  i usually just peen them with a small hammer, i like the old timey look of a copper rivet..

Thats what i was wondering, i'm more of a 'if it does it's function well' why spend a million dollars on something shiny with a fancy brand(though some tools i will spend more, stamps currently).  I thought maybe there was a setter out there that domed the shaft nicer

18 minutes ago, SpruceMoose said:

Thats what i was wondering, i'm more of a 'if it does it's function well' why spend a million dollars on something shiny with a fancy brand(though some tools i will spend more, stamps currently).  I thought maybe there was a setter out there that domed the shaft nicer

you can always polish the one you have if you can find something small enough.

1 hour ago, SpruceMoose said:

Thanks!

I use this to dome brass and copper rivets after driving the burr down with a cheap setter from SLC. This $13 domer does such a great job and in my opinion leaves a much better finish that the domer on the SLC setter. 

https://www.centaurforge.com/Nordic-Forge-Rivet-Set-Punch-with-Concave-Face/productinfo/305/

Rivets.png

I junked one from Tandy that is a loose fit on a #12 rivet and bends the burrs.  I bought another from Springfield Leather that works fine.  Like @chuck123wapati I use a small hammer to finish shaping the rivet after a couple of swipes with a file to flatten it.

Just now, ArkieNewbie said:

I use this to dome brass and copper rivets after driving the burr down with a cheap setter from SLC. This $13 domer does such a great job and in my opinion leaves a much better finish that the domer on the SLC setter. 

https://www.centaurforge.com/Nordic-Forge-Rivet-Set-Punch-with-Concave-Face/productinfo/305/

Rivets.png

Those look very nice indeed.

2 minutes ago, TomE said:

I junked one from Tandy that is a loose fit on a #12 rivet and bends the burrs.  I bought another from Springfield Leather that works fine.  Like @chuck123wapati I use a small hammer to finish shaping the rivet after a couple of swipes with a file to flatten it.

Those look very nice indeed.

Three whacks is all I do with the domer to get this finish. Yes, it's a little annoying to have to use two different tools but I do like the results. 

1 hour ago, SpruceMoose said:

Thanks!

Is that New Brunswick as in Canada?  Eh?  If so, I buy my copper rivets and setters from Aaron Martin Harness in Ontario.  Reasonable prices and fast delivery.  The setters I've bought from them (two sizes) are identical to the one linked in this thread from Weaver Leather.  And the Canadian price comes to less than buying in US and converting.  All you need is a good ball peen hammer and you're in business.  The toughest part of this rivet thing (for me at least) is the special pliers (forget what they're called) to cut off the excess post of the rivet before rounding the end.

Aaronmarton.com  is the site.  I've been buying their #12 (243-1234) 3/4", #9 (243-934) 3/4" rivets and the corresponding setters #512-9 and 512-12.  Very happy with their products and service.

I’ve got some 3 piece sets in stock right now in #9 and #12 sizes along with pictures of what each piece does. I’ve got #14 sizes coming and other makers in the pipeline as well. Here’s a link - https://brucejohnsonleather.com/leather-tools-sale/rivet-setters/

5 hours ago, bruce johnson said:

I’ve got some 3 piece sets in stock right now in #9 and #12 sizes along with pictures of what each piece does. I’ve got #14 sizes coming and other makers in the pipeline as well. Here’s a link - https://brucejohnsonleather.com/leather-tools-sale/rivet-setters/

Which side of the rivet should be on the finished side, the burr or domed head?

6 hours ago, Burkhardt said:

It is common to have the burr showing but I've seen some folks like it reversed.  Don't want the raised end of the rivet contacting the wearer, man or beast.

11 hours ago, Burkhardt said:

Normally I put them head side up on most pieces and for saddle riggings (keeps the peened post from wearing on stirrup leathers). Like Tom wrote, generally bur side up if it is contact with skin. 

I'm currently looking for a nice rivet setter set myself. The Richard Brooks ones look very nice. Can someone please enlighten me about the differences between BuckleGuys set, the Richard Brooks set and the super expensive Douglas set? In my eyes, if the ones are handmade from Richard brooks, that's a no brainer. 

8 hours ago, p51p28 said:

I'm currently looking for a nice rivet setter set myself. The Richard Brooks ones look very nice. Can someone please enlighten me about the differences between BuckleGuys set, the Richard Brooks set and the super expensive Douglas set? In my eyes, if the ones are handmade from Richard brooks, that's a no brainer. 

I can't speak for BuckleGuy because I haven't had any through here. I can say that Richard Brooks, Wayne Jueschke, and Bob Douglas (made by Herb French) are all handmade in their shops. I'm not sure how available the Douglas ones are from Herb or if Sara has some sets on hand. I've got Wayne Jueschke and Richard Brooks stocked in all three major sizes. Wayne has a radiating ridge design in the domer of his sets that makes a little petal effect on the head. I've sold around 30 sets from Wayne since we started carrying them here 4-5 months or so ago. The Jueschke sets are really nice and $135/set. I've sold at least 100 sets (probably more if added up invoices) from Richard Brooks. For $55 a set, they are as a big a bargain as his stamps. Only complaint was a bit of mushrooming from one guy using a metal hammer.  I seriously recommend rawhide or heavy plastic mauls or mallets but one of my late heroes had a set of Douglas riveters about half length from using a ball peen hammer to drive them. 

12 hours ago, bruce johnson said:

I can't speak for BuckleGuy because I haven't had any through here. I can say that Richard Brooks, Wayne Jueschke, and Bob Douglas (made by Herb French) are all handmade in their shops. I'm not sure how available the Douglas ones are from Herb or if Sara has some sets on hand. I've got Wayne Jueschke and Richard Brooks stocked in all three major sizes. Wayne has a radiating ridge design in the domer of his sets that makes a little petal effect on the head. I've sold around 30 sets from Wayne since we started carrying them here 4-5 months or so ago. The Jueschke sets are really nice and $135/set. I've sold at least 100 sets (probably more if added up invoices) from Richard Brooks. For $55 a set, they are as a big a bargain as his stamps. Only complaint was a bit of mushrooming from one guy using a metal hammer.  I seriously recommend rawhide or heavy plastic mauls or mallets but one of my late heroes had a set of Douglas riveters about half length from using a ball peen hammer to drive them. 

Great info Bruce, always appreciated. Would you say the Brooks punches have the same weight and beefiness compared to the Jueschke and Douglas ones?