this is what $6 got me at one of those antique shops. I understand what the dome shaper is and how it's used. I'm confused about the two holes! It has a number 8 clearly stamped next to the larger hole on the side,  which I thought it was for a size 8 rivet. There is a much smaller hole next to the dome shaper. WHAT IS THE SMALLER HOLE FOR?????? 

the only thing stamped on it are C.S. Osborne & Co. Harrison, N.J. And a number 8 below that.

IMG_6432.jpeg

The hole on the bottom is for setting the bur. Most of the answers I've been told the hole on the side is to hang it up. Don't know for sure. One ironworker told me if a piece off the shank breaks off in the setting hole with a hot rivet then you can drive the scrap up and out that larger hole. That sounds more real. 

The hole next to the dome I use for setting the burr on short rivets and the hole on the side I use for longer rivets. I don't know if it's the correct way but it works for me.

Edit: Now that I think about it more I could just use the front hole to start the burr then cut it down the rivet so I can drive the burr further.

20230728_163352.jpg.d53150988568037a49f017908bf13a49.jpg

20230728_163410.jpg.dee2b48f4dc9f7acade8745ea5877423.jpg

Edited by BlackDragon

Quite a good find for $6.00  :)

HS

I think its so their bits don't get hot and hang up and break off and they can also clean up the hole during the manufacturing process.

I guess I should have gone to the source a few days ago. Here is the catalog page and explanation. Cleanout for anything that gets stuck in the setting hole. 

IMG_4156.jpg

5 hours ago, chuck123wapati said:

I think its so their bits don't get hot and hang up and break off and they can also clean up the hole during the manufacturing process.

Lol.   I am not going to say snytjing

but you left this wide open for a bunch of yuk yuks

3 hours ago, Frodo said:

I kinda thought the same thing.

That tiny teeny small hole is nowhere near a size 8 rivet, more like the size of a thin finishing nail. 

40 minutes ago, Doc Reaper said:

That tiny teeny small hole is nowhere near a size 8 rivet, more like the size of a thin finishing nail. 

The chart I posted above shows the size for each number on the #169 setter. For copper rivets the #8 setter sets a #14 copper rivet. These are tinners rivet setters for iron or copper rivets and probably some reason they are size numbered like they are. It may have been some trade standard at the time. 150 years ago they probably found a #169-8 tinner rivet setter will do a #14 copper rivet for leather too. The #169-4 will do a #9 rivet and the #169-6 will do a #12 rivet. 

To further confuse things, the #170 setters looks similar to the #169  but not described as hardened at the working end or intended for iron rivets . They are listed in sizes for 8, 9 and 10 rivets and they do correspond to the size of the rivets. 

8 hours ago, Frodo said:

O'h dear :rofl:

6 hours ago, Handstitched said:

O'h dear :rofl:

15 hours ago, Frodo said:

LMAO!!!:crazy: hey even the instructions say it can be used to remove any waste thats wedged in your tool. 

On 7/27/2023 at 12:02 AM, Doc Reaper said:

this is what $6 got me at one of those antique shops. I understand what the dome shaper is and how it's used. I'm confused about the two holes! It has a number 8 clearly stamped next to the larger hole on the side,  which I thought it was for a size 8 rivet. There is a much smaller hole next to the dome shaper. WHAT IS THE SMALLER HOLE FOR?????? 

the only thing stamped on it are C.S. Osborne & Co. Harrison, N.J. And a number 8 below that.

IMG_6432.jpeg

I do not know if I am using the tool correctly but I use the smaller hole to push the burr/washer down as far as it will go Onto my work