Zippin23

Sheepskin use??

I purchased some veg tan sheepskin during the Tandy sale just because it was 1.5 oz and seemed like a great deal.  I don’t know about you all but I was getting a text a day from Tandy and some of the deals were hard to turn down.  I don’t even do much leatherwork and now have a pretty good stack.  Tandy isn’t my normal first choice when it comes to mail order leather but I got some good stuff.  I wish they had some Horween chromexcel at a great deal but,  no such luck.  

Anyhow,  what’s people use sheepskin for?  It is very soft and a bit stretchy.  I’d like to use it for wallet interiors, bag linings and interior pockets?   

I use it for lining holsters.

The soft stuff could be used for gloves, hats,  and assorted accessories  etc. 

HS

It's great for applying dyes and oil.

On 7/30/2023 at 1:11 PM, Zippin23 said:

Anyhow,  what’s people use sheepskin for?  It is very soft and a bit stretchy.  I’d like to use it for wallet interiors, bag linings and interior pockets?

Is it with or without the fleece?  Makes a lot of difference in how you would use it. Seems to be some confusion about what it really is.

19 minutes ago, Chakotay said:

1 hour ago, Chakotay said:

I agree, and As @Northmount touched on,, I use sheep skin (  with fleece)  for applying dyes, and oils  as an alternative to daubers .  Sheep skin off cuts often come free when I go to my  leather supplier . 

But the other sheep skin leather, nappa, quite soft,   can be used for an assortment of leather goods.  Sheep skins , with fleece on, are often used for many other uses as well, like ugg boots,  slippers , seat covers,   floor rugs  etc. 

HS 

Depends on just what it is. I use thin pre-dyed for lining bags and small goods or even over game boards with the main playing area put on over it. I have some real nice stuff which is kinda very wrinkly looking which I used to recover my work stool which had had PVC on it.

Thanks for the advice everyone. They are 1.5 oz veg tanned hides without the fleece.  As stretchy as they are, I bet they would make good tight piping. I’m going to use it for some wallet innards and bag liners.  It has an awesome buttery feel. 

Just a quick update.  Sheepskin is not the best material for wallet pockets.  I’ve made three and it’s a bit too soft and difficult to work with.  My edge creaser doesn’t glide along the sheepskin like it does on cowhide.  I think it would be great for internal bag lining  but when you need a little firmness,  it’s not going to be my go to leather.