SpruceMoose

The Trend of Leather that Scuffs easily.

Don't get me wrong, i love the look of some of the leather, distressed, oily, pull-up, nubuck, every tannage and finish imaginable.But man, it's wild how much of the currently most bought/trending handmade leather products are made from leather hides that just scuff and scratch so easily, if you just look at it the wrong way it gets all dinged up.

On occasion I'll dig into some market research on current high selling/trending handmade leather products , and when i start into reviews(great to find out what buyers out there like, dislike etc) many customers do not like this, even though they like the look initially, many do not expect it to get so scratched, scuffed and just wrote off from just touching it. I find it slightly baffling that these types of leathers are so widely used. I can see it for folks who sell in person or have products in shops, at least then customers can feel the item and know what they are getting.

On a side note, I live in an area where buying leather in person is not usually the case, and even with research on certain types, it's disappointing how much leather that's been bought over the years that just sucked or at least was not what was expected, even high end brands, just a light touch from a finger scuffs it. Some sellers won't tell you or get almost annoyed/offended that you ask how easily certain leather marks. I mostly dye my own either way, but i do like having some nice pre dye on hand,  and i find it harder to find. Outside of dying normal tooled leather items,Recently started to dye milled veg tan to satisfy my soft bag leather needs.

Just a small rant!

What do you folks think, has it always been the case? 

Just my humble opinion, but I believe most of this is due to spray/airbrush coloring. There is no penetration. Yes, you can get a nice even color....on the surface.

There is nothing underneath. So when scratched or scuffed, raw leather is showing through.

On 8/29/2023 at 2:09 AM, tsunkasapa said:

There is nothing underneath. So when scratched or scuffed, raw leather is showing through.

AKA  ' CNN' Cheap 'N' Nasty :)

HS

Just say NO to airbrushed leather!!!

My dad born in 1924 kept his shoes and leather goods immaculate as well, didn't wear them in the rain didn't wear them in the mud, if he did get them dirty he washed and polished them weekly. Anyone remember galoshes? I am not the same, i never have been, my leather boots look like crap haven't used galoshes since i was a kid. How many people do you know who still polishes their shoes routinely? My point, leather scuffs and stays scuffed if you don't take care of it. My opine is the majority of people just don't take the time to care for their possessions any more heck most don't even comb their hair daily, me included. leather is leather it doesn't scuff or scratch itself.

6 hours ago, chuck123wapati said:

How many people do you know who still polishes their shoes routinely? 

I do :yes:I have two pairs of the same boots, one pair for around the paddock etc. and the other I wear at markets .  I polish them both . It helps keep them a little water proof and comfy ,  and neat and tidy for markets .

Also, as a wee lad going to school, I polished my shoes every day. 

HS

12 hours ago, chuck123wapati said:

Anyone remember galoshes?

I do. We brought all ours from US to UK. A few people here wore galoshes but not many. They seemed to soon fall out of fashion. Sometimes just called 'over-shoes' here

How many people do you know who still polishes their shoes routinely? 

I do. Not as often or as high a shine as when I was in RAF. But about every 2nd or 3rd day they get a good cleaning and polishing,  maybe every day in a bad wet winter. We don't get snow here

5 hours ago, Handstitched said:

Same. And I did my boys school shoes every night. 3 boys x 2 pairs each. I did them to RAF standard shine

My point, leather scuffs and stays scuffed if you don't take care of it. My opine is the majority of people just don't take the time to care for their possessions any more 

This, is very true

7 hours ago, Handstitched said:

I do :yes:I have two pairs of the same boots, one pair for around the paddock etc. and the other I wear at markets .  I polish them both . It helps keep them a little water proof and comfy ,  and neat and tidy for markets .

HS

As a boy i did too it was the norm. School shoes were only wore to school and church last years shoes were worn for play or work. I still have good shoes I wear on occasions but I don't take nearly the care I should with my every day stuff. It amazes me at how much society and its values have changed in my life. Early on In grade school we would line up every morning for inspection, Hair combed, teeth brushed, shirts tucked in, shoes polished. Could you imagine if a school tried that now a days back then it was part of our education.

2 hours ago, fredk said:

I do. We brought all ours from US to UK. A few people here wore galoshes but not many. They seemed to soon fall out of fashion. Sometimes just called 'over-shoes' here

I do. Not as often or as high a shine as when I was in RAF. But about every 2nd or 3rd day they get a good cleaning and polishing,  maybe every day in a bad wet winter. We don't get snow here

Same. And I did my boys school shoes every night. 3 boys x 2 pairs each. I did them to RAF standard shine

This, is very true

over shoes were the thing!!! replaced by throw away moon boots lol. i wonder if a pair of those still exist?

We sound like the 'Four Yorkshiremen'

10 minutes ago, fredk said:

Thank you!!! made my day there.

I only wear work boots, have my whole life. The only time in my adult life that I had dress shoes was in the Army, and I

left them AND the Army behind nearly 50 years ago. The work boots get Obenauf's once a month in dry weather, weekly in the winter.

9 hours ago, fredk said:

We'll all be showing our scars next , lol   :) 

HS