Historicalbeltworks

Hand wheel swap Adler sewing machine

I need to change the hand wheel to a larger one, I’m starting to get a blister from cranking it for the right needle position :), it’s just too small.  Can someone point me in the right direction to get a new larger wheel or one with a handle?  Thanks.

71503043873__28BD148A-9343-477C-BF0B-B95026969A85.jpeg

1 hour ago, Historicalbeltworks said:

I need to change the hand wheel to a larger one, I’m starting to get a blister from cranking it for the right needle position

Just a thought that came to mind.  Is there a brake in your servo motor that is making it difficult to handwheel?  If so, disable the brake.  You can test by removing the belt to see if it is easier to turn.

Model of machine?

glenn

In lieu of replacing wheel, could you drill, bolt on a small bracket and add a knob, like a steering wheel knob? (I grew up calling them necker knobs).

12 hours ago, Wepster said:

In lieu of replacing wheel, could you drill, bolt on a small bracket and add a knob, like a steering wheel knob? (I grew up calling them necker knobs).

I call those knobs Barney Knobs, as in Barney Rubble.

The chances of finding a large replacement handwheel would be very slim, it's not something that was commonly offered as an option. Some people (me!) have replaced the handwheel on a sewing machine with a large pulley, the main reason being to slow the machine down but it would also help with hand-wheeling.

Why replace the wheel?  You want to slow the machine down?  A servo motor will do that.  I have a 669 with a servo motor and a 45mm pulley on the motor.   You could add a  speed reducer to slow it down more.  However, with the speed reducer, you cannot add a synchronizer to the balance wheel because it screw up the sensors in the needle positioner part of the synchronizer.  My runs as slow as I want it to.  I also got a 669 from weaver.  it is an Eco model.  I added air  foot lift to it.

glenn

3 hours ago, shoepatcher said:

Why replace the wheel?  You want to slow the machine down?  A servo motor will do that.  I have a 669 with a servo motor and a 45mm pulley on the motor.   You could add a  speed reducer to slow it down more.  However, with the speed reducer, you cannot add a synchronizer to the balance wheel because it screw up the sensors in the needle positioner part of the synchronizer.  My runs as slow as I want it to.  I also got a 669 from weaver.  it is an Eco model.  I added air  foot lift to it.

glenn

He said it was for hand cranking.

On 8/29/2023 at 3:46 PM, Historicalbeltworks said:

Can someone point me in the right direction to get a new larger wheel or one with a handle?

You can start by removing your existing balance wheel and measuring the diameter of the shaft. Note if it uses a key to position the wheel. Then measure the diameter of the wheel and search online, or contact Adler or Weaver to see if they sell a larger balance wheel as an upgrade. If the shaft diameter is more or less standard, you might find a larger wheel for a Consew or Juki.

In my book the proper way to solve this issue would be installing a servo motor with needle position sensor. You may never have to touch the hand wheel again.

Aside from that option, the hand wheel on this DA 669 is designed a little different than standard balance wheels on many vintage machine. The  hand wheel is separate from the pulley and it’s just a piece of plastic that’s attached to the pulley via the three screws you see. 

You can probably make your own, larger version with simple tools like a reciprocating saw and a hand drill. Or ask a friend who has wood lathe skills or a 3D printer, or something along those lines. 

A plain round piece of wood with a hole in the middle and three mounting holes would probably work just fine. Use longer screws to attach it if need be. 

IMG_1405.jpeg

Edited by Uwe

As for hand knobs I really like the one I used to replace the missing one on my Adler 30. It works great, looks kinda pretty and was easy to adapt for my installation. I got mine on Amazon for $15 (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07P6ZRVY2)

IMG_0520.jpeg

if you install a needle positioner, you will need to order a plug from DA to mount the synchronizer on.  I have the part # if you need it.

glenn

Needle position will probably work. Thanks guys. I am probably going to sell the 669, and just go to a  cobra class 4P.  I’m really overworking the 669 anyway it can handle 10-12oz fine, but I’m really pushing it if I get to like 16.  It seems like over the last couple of years. I’ve been using thicker and thicker material, so I really need to upgrade my machinery. But in the meantime, since that’s not gonna happen tomorrow, I’ll work on the needle positioning for the machine. I really appreciate all the feedback and help.

You will not have any trouble selling the 669.  The demand is high for that machine especially used.

Glenn