fibersport

servo motor startup speed

Since this was such a popular p[ost, I thought I would give an update.  I decided to take the plunge and upgrade my existing servo motor to the Consew 550-1 analog servo motor from Cowboy Bob.  I also took Wizcrafts comment and ordered it with a 45mm pulley.  I received it yesterday and disappeared to the basement for the evening.  I couldn't install it with my speed reducer without drilling holes in my table to I decided to try it motor only.  That required a new belt so I picked that up this morning and got it all put together.  

I have to say it gives me the ramp up speed that I was looking for.  It's nice and slow which allows me to back tack at the start and not really feel like I need 3 hands to get things started.  It's nice and quiet but it does seem to have a little less torque than what I'm used to - granted the other servo motor I had started at a higher speed and really could not be started slowly.

Overall I'm very happy with it.  Down the road I may reinstall my speed reducer just to see if that helps with the start up torque.  For now though, I'll concentrate on enjoying nice smooth starts.  Next on the learning curve is using the max speed settings to see how that affects things.  Thanks to everyone for their comments and sharing their experiences.

1 hour ago, fibersport said:

It's nice and quiet but it does seem to have a little less torque than what I'm used to

Turn the speed dial up a notch. You'll still be able to feather the pedal for slow speed, although it will be a little touchy until you get the hang of it.

1 hour ago, fibersport said:

Down the road I may reinstall my speed reducer just to see if that helps with the start up torque.

A 1:2 speed reducer is also a 2:1 torque magnifier.