Frodo

Using a hole punch for designs

This design is not mine it is from a shoe called Florsheim 

I am intrigued by using a hole punch to make a design on leather

Has anyone here done this and if you have please  show your finished product

IMG_0170.jpeg

Search the site for Brogue - There have been a number of folks that have made wallets and other things.  Broguing punches are available now, but they weren't always readily available so folks used two sizes of hole punches and manually laid them out for some of those older things!  It's a great look!

- Bill

53 minutes ago, billybopp said:

Search the site for Brogue - There have been a number of folks that have made wallets and other things.  Broguing punches are available now, but they weren't always readily available so folks used two sizes of hole punches and manually laid them out for some of those older things!  It's a great look!

- Bill

Thanks Billy

I am toying with using 2 punches and a border of sewing machine holes without thread

i need to make a jig so the holes will be equally spaced 

A  sort of similar technique I have used before is a small wad punch for designs on wrist bands  with a coloured leather lining underneath that can be seen through the holes.  

So yeh, it should look quite good.  Never knew what that technique was called   until now. 

HS

My last Christmas market, my leatherworker neighbour was stamping little pieces of leather out of a small strap. The holes were spaced so regularly that I wondered whether he was making leather disks or a strap with holes. He needed the disks for making earrings and was throwing the rest away. 

So I suggested to make sure that the waste strap looks nice, leave enough leather at the end and put a fastener on it to make a bracelet. It was the first one that sold the next morning... The poor guy took quite some time to get over the idea that now he was selling his waste leather as well...

On 9/14/2023 at 2:52 PM, Frodo said:

I am toying with using 2 punches and a border of sewing machine holes without thread

i need to make a jig so the holes will be equally spaced 

If your extra holes are bigger that 2mm, get two of the hole punches and wrap duct tape around them. Start the punching with double holes, then singles, using the last hole made to put one of the punches in to keep the spacing