1956Longroof

Need help identifying

I'm attempting to reproduce a leather magneto cover for vintage Farmall tractors. I'm having a hard time finding out what style buckle/clasp they used. As you can imagine 90 year old survivors are non existent. For some reason it won't let me post pics. 

You have to lower the pixel size first. There are programs and suggestion on this site how to do so this one is for Windows.

You can resize the pictures. Here's one of the most recent links on doing this: https://leatherworker.net/forum/topic/15122-how-to-post-pictures-on-lw/page/2/

And here's the method I use. If your computer is a Microsoft product, you should have some version of Microsoft Paint installed on it. Open the picture in Paint. You should see a 'resize picture' option in the top menu bar. Click on it. I always resize by reducing the number of pixels rather than by percentage. 600 pixels should give a nice sharp picture that's not too large. When you resize one dimension of the photo, the other resizes automatically to keep it in the correct proportions.

On 9/19/2023 at 2:17 PM, 1956Longroof said:

I'm attempting to reproduce a leather magneto cover for vintage Farmall tractors. I'm having a hard time finding out what style buckle/clasp they used. As you can imagine 90 year old survivors are non existent. For some reason it won't let me post pics. 

Try a Antique tractor forum. I looked up a few videos of antique magnetos being refurbished and there doesn't appear to be leather on them, it may be a very short time frame they were used, could be why you can't find anything

I've tried antique tractor forums without any luck. The cover was only offered from around 1925-32. So it's almost impossible to find any info on them other than parts books that show the whole assembly. I figured out the picture thing. That should help my cause. The best I can tell it resembles a bridle strap clasp but smaller. 

Screenshot_20230714_082202_Gallery_copy_960x432.jpg

19 minutes ago, 1956Longroof said:

I've tried antique tractor forums without any luck. The cover was only offered from around 1925-32. So it's almost impossible to find any info on them other than parts books that show the whole assembly. I figured out the picture thing. That should help my cause. The best I can tell it resembles a bridle strap clasp but smaller. 

Screenshot_20230714_082202_Gallery_copy_960x432.jpg

I'll ask my husband tonight, he works tractors, usually vintage-antique.  What you have circled doesn't look to be part of the cover, looks more like a metal strap part of the magneto sticking through a hole in the leather

32 minutes ago, SpruceMoose said:

I'll ask my husband tonight, he works tractors, usually vintage-antique.  What you have circled doesn't look to be part of the cover, looks more like a metal strap part of the magneto sticking through a hole in the leather

It's not part of the mag. I have several of these magnetos. Hopefully he can ID it.

i found this picture on the net it is for a fordson

Fordson_Lucas_SR4_Magneto_Cover_01_khtu.jpg

11 minutes ago, chuck123wapati said:

i found this picture on the net it is for a fordson

Fordson_Lucas_SR4_Magneto_Cover_01_khtu.jpg

I may end up just using a simple snap. I was really hoping to make a exact reproduction. 

1 minute ago, 1956Longroof said:

I may end up just using a simple snap. I was really hoping to make a exact reproduction. 

one thing is for sure not many people will know any different. I wasn't aware they even existed.

I know this fitting I think. I've seen it on straps on some, just a few,  cars in my vintage car club. Its like a buckle but not a buckle.  Its like two hinged loops. One short loop is attached to item or end of a strap. The tongue of the strap goes through a gap between the loops and the second loop hinges over gripping the strap between the loops and that loop locks down in place. Endless adjustment without holes in the strap. Rather like how the fitting on a HGV cargo strap works, but nicer looking. But I don't know a name for it

12 minutes ago, fredk said:

I know this fitting I think. I've seen it on straps on some, just a few,  cars in my vintage car club. Its like a buckle but not a buckle.  Its like two hinged loops. One short loop is attached to item or end of a strap. The tongue of the strap goes through a gap between the loops and the second loop hinges over gripping the strap between the loops and that loop locks down in place. Endless adjustment without holes in the strap. Rather like how the fitting on a HGV cargo strap works, but nicer looking. But I don't know a name for it

cam buckle maybe an older type?

2 hours ago, 1956Longroof said:

It's not part of the mag. I have several of these magnetos. Hopefully he can ID it.

Ya, he said it's not part of the magneto, some weird buckle, or just a really bad photo of a regular buckle

1 hour ago, chuck123wapati said:

cam buckle maybe an older type?

yes, like that. I didn't even know the name for that, :lol:

There used to be a shop in the UK which sold the wire ones. They sold lots of old-style but new stock car parts for refurbishing our old cars. Some modern competition drivers used to use the wire loop ones to hold their bonnet/hood and boot/trunk lid down.

Maybe use a modern s/s one. Would look more like the original ?

316-stainless-steel-cam-buckle-25mm-webb

Edited by fredk

On 9/21/2023 at 1:33 PM, 1956Longroof said:

check this out it resembles the picture .   https://www.weaverleathersupply.com/products/1144-collar-fastener-set

On 9/24/2023 at 5:32 PM, 1956Longroof said:

That is the bridle strap clasp. I was thinking of using that one but unfortunately they only come in 1 1/4". 

those have nothing to do with the bridle - they are for heavy horse collars