I'm wanting to get my bf a good sewing machine for Christmas. What's a good decent priced sewing machine I can get for basic leather/fur work? What do the prices usually go? 

8 hours ago, TetraStark said:

I'm wanting to get my bf a good sewing machine for Christmas. What's a good decent priced sewing machine I can get for basic leather/fur work? What do the prices usually go? 

Moved your post to Leather Sewing Machines

Honestly it seems everyone is really proud of their sewing machines due to the current economy.  I would look on facebook marketplace, there are a ton of machines listed.  I would think you can find a decent machine complete with a table and motor for around $500, many are listed for much more but then they are still listed after many weeks and will take some dealing to get them down.  Keep in mind this is only my opinion ....

Late last year my standard sewing machine for very light leather and all materials just decided to roll over and quit.

I shopped around and got a Singer 6800C . . . and I'm super happy with it.

You have full control of the mschine at all times . . . and it will sew up to two layers of 3/4 oz veggie tan . . . plus all sorts of other thin leather.

I use only carpet thread with it . . . a standard needle . . . and it's a great machine for me.

On the side note . . . it also does all sorts of fancy quilting / stitching . . .  options that are there but I don't use them.

May God bless,

Dwight

19 hours ago, TetraStark said:

I'm wanting to get my bf a good sewing machine for Christmas.

What kind of sewing is he wanting to do?  Makes a huge difference in the type of machine you need.  See this thread.

He's wanting a sewing machine that can handle leather and basic sewing. Sorry I've been busy with work and forgot to check back in.

54 minutes ago, TetraStark said:

He's wanting a sewing machine that can handle leather and basic sewing. Sorry I've been busy with work and forgot to check back in.

What kinds of things does he want to sew?  Being able to "handle leather" doesn't tell us much.  What's important is how thick the leather is, how many layers, etc.  Holsters for example, would need a completely different type of machine than thin wallets.  Bags again have requirements... thickness, number of layers and what the bag opening would be like.  Would a cylinder arm machine be more useful than a flatbed?

Maybe if you tell us your budget and the space you/he has it would help.  Does he need a machine that can be put away in a closet when not needed or can it take up a permanent spot in the room?  Knowing all this would help us help you.

I wold buy a used consew 206 or Sieko or variant used in good working condition.  I would also buy a chinese shoe patcher from Bantam Saddle and Tack.  This machine has a higher lift and longer stitch than Singer or Adler.

Used because the clearances are bigger allowing larger thread. The CLSP has a larger bobbin than most Singers. Do not buy a European machine parts are high and feet are propriety.  You should be in business for less than $1000.  I would not buy a machine with a belt drive, it can be expensive to replace. Belt drive can be a little stiff to turn.  You may score a machine with a clutch motor cheaper and in rare occasions have very good control.  Singer variants  144 w  We called ours T Rex our go to machine for heavy thickness.

Your final step would be a freearm  45K clones Many choices not many used.