jrny4wrd

drawstring łące

I am making a mini drawstring backpack and trying to figure out what the best type of lace for the drawstring is to use. It's easy if I lived by a leather shop, but I need to order online. I have used 1/4" Kodiak with good results, but I want to either dye it or buy it green and turquoise. Preferable buy because I have issues with green pigment getting deep into the leather. When I try to find some, deer skin lace pops up like crazy in the google search. I would think deer skin isn"t rigid enough to use as a drawstring, is it? Am I best off cutting it from 10-12 oz and dying it, hoping it doesn't bleed out? 

3 hours ago, jrny4wrd said:

It's easy if I lived by a leather shop, but I need to order online.

Is there someone in your part for the world that sells kangaroo lace?  Thats what I use. Theres also a  natural roo lace that I have dyed for specific projects .  They come in 3mm , 4mm and ...6mm, from memory. 

HS

Y-knot Lace has a good selection of kangaroo lace that could be braided to make a drawstring.  I've been pleased using it for laced reins.  https://y-knotlace.com/

Edited by TomE

@jrny4wrdit would be very helpful if you put your location in your profile

I buy coloured lace meant for jewelry making. I can get it in diameters from 1mm up to 6mm. I usually buy 1mm to 3mm, by the 3m long

On 10/8/2023 at 5:33 AM, fredk said:

@jrny4wrdit would be very helpful if you put your location in your profile

According to the IP address, appears to be located in the Hickory, North Carolina, 28602 area.

@jrny4wrd

On 10/9/2023 at 11:21 AM, Northmount said:

According to the IP address, appears to be located in the Hickory, North Carolina, 28602 area.

@jrny4wrd

Correct. I guess I figured if there was something around, google would show me.

On 10/9/2023 at 11:21 AM, Northmount said:

@jrny4wrd

Well, he was. Now the nice witness protection people will be moving him ... again.  :)

On 10/7/2023 at 11:36 PM, Handstitched said:

Is there someone in your part for the world that sells kangaroo lace?  Thats what I use. Theres also a  natural roo lace that I have dyed for specific projects .  They come in 3mm , 4mm and ...6mm, from memory. 

HS

@jrny4wrd,

+1 on the 'roo lace.  Springfield Leather in Springfield, MO is where I get mine.  Here is a link.  Jim

https://www.springfieldleather.com/?client_id=1238685951.1677030909&session_id=1697075498&_ga=2.129192844.1875835430.1697075501-1238685951.1677030909