Klara

Flattest possible fastener for keychain?

20231024_200503.jpg.ca4aa0e02e64422375a2779498fd50e8.jpg

This is my new keychain with a 50-cent piece inside (for shopping caddies). I know it's not beautiful, but it might do the job. Or not, if the flap, which I have made without any fastener, doesn't stay closed in long-term use.

What could I use for a very flat fastener?  My snaps are all pretty high (and don't close securely, cheap stuff), so are Sam Brown studs. Velcro would have to be sewn on and thus look ugly on the outside of the flap, besides I don't think that Velcro and pocket lint are a good combination. Any sort of buckle is right out. Is there anything left short of making the flap longer and narrower and  pushing it through a loop sewn to the pocket? 

KAM snaps

Thats what I use

Coin purse, sample, 01LWs.jpg

What does KAM stand for (Amazon has a lot of different results) and where do I find good ones?

KAM is the name of type of snap/popper

They come in different sizes and a multitudinous of colours

KAM-snap.jpg

The most common size is T5, which I use most of of but there are many sizes. The next main size is T16. T5 are about 12.5mm across the cap and a 5mm post. Its only good for thin leather, up to about 1.8mm thick. T16 are 16mm across the cap with a 8mm post. There are variations but are hard to get

You need a special tool to squeeze down the central post on the caps

31nFifsc7EL._AC_.jpg

A full set of several hundred T5 snaps in different colours and the pliers can be bought for under or about 15 E

T16 can be bought for about 6E per 100. The same pliers tool works with them. It usually comes with the necessary parts, as seen in the picture above 

eg; https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/364488348551?var=0&mkevt=1&mkcid=1&mkrid=710-53481-19255-0&campid=5338749387&toolid=20006&customid=GB_14339_364488348551.146494749527~1869017347642-g_CjwKCAjw-eKpBhAbEiwAqFL0monctUkpe5DA2IkEdCAx9rn7xBA-i5-OHL4MsITycXFfb9qgPohu5xoC8bEQAvD_BwE

I use them all the time on thin leather goods, like the key-ring purse or these pen cases

Knit & Natter pen cases, DW 2 - edited.jpg

Knit & Natter pen cases, JC - edited.jpg

Edited by fredk

5 hours ago, Klara said:

What does KAM stand for (Amazon has a lot of different results) and where do I find good ones?

I've bought a lot of stuff from Kamsnaps... presses, dies, snaps, jean buttons, rivets, etc.  I have two of their top metal presses as well as one for their plastic snaps.  Service has always been outstanding!  (Really, one of my favorite suppliers to deal with.)

But I don't know if they ship to European countries.  They do ship to me in Canada, so I wouldn't be surprised if they can ship to you.

Thanks a lot! That's very helpful!

On 10/24/2023 at 7:17 PM, Klara said:

This is my new keychain with a 50-cent piece inside (for shopping caddies). I know it's not beautiful, but it might do the job. Or not, if the flap, which I have made without any fastener, doesn't stay closed in long-term use.

What could I use for a very flat fastener?  My snaps are all pretty high (and don't close securely, cheap stuff), so are Sam Brown studs. Velcro would have to be sewn on and thus look ugly on the outside of the flap, besides I don't think that Velcro and pocket lint are a good combination. Any sort of buckle is right out. Is there anything left short of making the flap longer and narrower and  pushing it through a loop sewn to the pocket? 

Not the answer to your question Klara and maybe not much use to you but this will open any shopping trolley over here. Haven't had to worry bout a pound coin for a couple years now. 

20231025_191541.jpg

Edited by toxo
Forgot pic.

What is it and how do you use it?

5 hours ago, Klara said:

What is it and how do you use it?

The key on a tin of corned beef. You just push it in the slot. Maybe wiggle it depends on the size of your coins. 

I don't think it would work on trolleys here. They have a plastic slide in tray in which you put in a coin or token. Pushing in the tray releases the chain on the other end. But mostly we have gone coin-free, with auto-lock wheels on the trolleys

1 hour ago, fredk said:

I don't think it would work on trolleys here. They have a plastic slide in tray in which you put in a coin or token. Pushing in the tray releases the chain on the other end. But mostly we have gone coin-free, with auto-lock wheels on the trolleys

You folks talking about "trolleys"... to me, a trolley is a street car.  A transportation device.  Are you talking about what we here call a "shopping cart"?

On 10/24/2023 at 7:17 PM, Klara said:

. . . (for shopping caddies). . .

2 hours ago, fredk said:

. . .  trolleys . . .

23 minutes ago, MtlBiker said:

. . . "shopping cart" . . .

Same thing in three different countries

On 10/24/2023 at 2:17 PM, Klara said:

I might have (though the flap is much nicer), extended the sides past the coin, enough to put a snap in. it would be similar in shape to the ring portion. Or, folded over where you have the fold, and snap near the ring, thus only two thicknesses, rather than 3 plus a snap.

10 hours ago, Wepster said:

I might have (though the flap is much nicer), extended the sides past the coin, enough to put a snap in. it would be similar in shape to the ring portion. Or, folded over where you have the fold, and snap near the ring, thus only two thicknesses, rather than 3 plus a snap.

Took me a minute to get the first part, and still haven't understood the second possibility. But it gave me another (?) idea: Using the snap on the keyring for holding a pouch closed (without flap, just the two long sides). I believe that should work to stop the coin from falling out.

Though the closure-less version survived its first trip just fine. And strictly speaking I don't need more than one keychain (all my other keys are already equipped with useful accessories: Mini-Victorinox, mini-Leatherman, mini-compass, -thermometer and light....)

What you are saying is similar to my second idea. I will make another attempt at my first idea. 2 pieces of leather, sort of symetrical in shape, round with tabs opposite each other. stitched halfway round the circle to the key ring, continuing back to other side (opposite half of circle). then just a snap on tab opposite key ring tab.

I too have a tiny light and a Vicorinox Manager (like having the pen and sissors) on my key ring. I use these fishing clips instead of the split ring. Easier to get on and off (some places do allow even the smallest knife) https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0895SKN8V/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

I use larger version on larger SAK. got idea from someones youtube channel, do no recall whose.