Tsiatko

Consew 206RB-5 - alternate pulleys?

Hello everyone, 

im back again with another request. My Consew is fantastic, but it’s just too fast for me, even with the servo motor set at the lowest speed setting. Im wondering if anyone has replaced the pulleys in their servo and Consew, to achieve a slower stitch? I’ve seen a couple videos online but I can’t figure out exactly which pulleys to purchase. I emailed my rep at the distribution center, and they basically told me they don’t have time for my questions. I emailed Consew, they told me to email my distribution rep. I’m at wits end, I really don’t want to buy calipers just to measure the shafts in the motor and on the machine - does anyone have more information, by chance? 

5 hours ago, Tsiatko said:

Im wondering if anyone has replaced the pulleys in their servo and Consew, to achieve a slower stitch?

Yes this is often done. I'm assuming you are in the US so I would check with Toledo Sewing Machines ( https://www.tolindsewmach.com/ ) for a speed reducer and a servo motor pulley.

kgg

I agree with contacting Toledo Sewing Machine, however you could possibly get by with just getting a 45mm diameter pulley for the motor.  This will slow things down considerably and is much cheaper than a speed reducer.  I just went through this same thing, I built a speed reducer, then bought a different servo motor (Consew SM550) with a smaller pulley and tried it without the speed reducer.  I'm very happy with the setup as it is.  You will still have to practice with your starts as it will take a little experience to get your foot to do what you want it to do.

14 hours ago, Tsiatko said:

Hello everyone, 

im back again with another request. My Consew is fantastic, but it’s just too fast for me, even with the servo motor set at the lowest speed setting. Im wondering if anyone has replaced the pulleys in their servo and Consew, to achieve a slower stitch? I’ve seen a couple videos online but I can’t figure out exactly which pulleys to purchase. I emailed my rep at the distribution center, and they basically told me they don’t have time for my questions. I emailed Consew, they told me to email my distribution rep. I’m at wits end, I really don’t want to buy calipers just to measure the shafts in the motor and on the machine - does anyone have more information, by chance? 

I've also got a Consew 206RB-5 and I changed the motor pulley to a 45mm dia one and I love the result.  With the servo motor set to the lowest speed I can sew as slowly as I want/need and I'm very happy.  And on the rare times I might want slower, well, it's easy to turn the wheel by hand.  But really, it sews plenty slow.

Watch out though about the quality of the smaller pulley.  I got one (from the actual Consew dealer I'd bought the machine from) and installed it and then found I had an annoying sound coming from the motor (I thought).  After lots of testing I was convinced it was the motor and that maybe there was a bad bearing.  I ordered a new motor and before installing it on the machine, I put the 45mm pulley on it.  And ran the motor on the floor like that.  I was shocked that the sound/vibration was still there!  Good thing I didn't go through the trouble of installing the motor on the machine.  The Consew dealer I got the pulley from had never heard of someone changing the motor pulley (quite surprising) but he did get me the correct longer belt and supplied the pulley.  I don't know where he got the pulley from but it wasn't perfectly balanced.  I talked to the other (more knowledgeable) dealer I bought the new servo motor from and he knew right away what the problem was... and had what he said were perfect pulleys.  He'd run into that issue before.

I got the new pulley from him, installed it and it was perfect.  So before you go through much trouble, install the smaller pulley onto the motor and without the belt connected, run the motor.  See if there's any sound or vibration.  If so, get a better pulley.  BEFORE thinking the motor is bad.

Hope this is of help.

10 hours ago, kgg said:

I'm assuming you are in the US

IP address is for Detroit.

@Tsiatko  Add your location to your profile.  It helps to get you the help and information relevant to your area.

Thanks everyone, I went with Toledo Sewing and purchased a speed reducer just to play it safe. 

I will add my location to my profile, sorry I missed that. And thanks for the help. 

Edited by Tsiatko

How did the speed reducer work out? Did you have to cut your table or did the reducer fit without modifications?

@Tsiatko how did your speed reducer setup go on your Consew rb-5. If you got pics to share I would love to see them. 

Also could you list the parts you bought to perform your update to your Consew RB-5 sewing machine. 

Thanks.